The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Will be interesting how we move our midfield pieces next summer.

Highly likely that Gini leaves. I actually think it’s not impossible that he stays, but yeah, he’s probably going and I’m counting without him for next season.

Millie will be 35 and in his final year, although I don’t think it will necessarily mean much for the market situation. The club and him might together decide that he remains as a versatile backup until 2022 and then he decides what to do next with his career.

Ox is in a situation where even when he was/is fit, the whole convertion to a central midfielder didn’t happen as best as we all hoped. I certainly wouldn’t agree that he was that bad last season. But since he came, it’s been a combination of injuries, inability to play more consistent and for longer periods in a game when he’s good, us also reaching new levels. Contract until 2023, we might have a decision to make in the next 6/12 months.

Let’s say the ideal number is 6, especially when football returns to it’s “normal” rhythm. At the moment, we have 8 (quite a few of them are versatile, but that’s also part of our strength as a team).

I thought and still firmly think that Klopp sees Fabinho as first and foremost a midfielder who can do a job at CB if needed. I think he will still seek to have 4 natural CB’s going into next season. Contract until 2023, I expect the club to offer him a new deal soon as we enter into the last 2 years of his current deal, if it’s not in the process already.

Gini was the most available central midfielder I think in his time here. His quality and importance grew with time, changed in style.

I think without Gini and with everyone fit and in normal form, in most games Klopp would (as things stand and considering what level have some reached) probably pick a Fabinho, Hendo and Thiago midfield 3.

Keita I don’t think reached that level yet where he becomes a regular starter when they’re all fit and in normal form. Improvement? Certain is visible, yes. But still not enough and who knows if he will ever be. Age is on his side though, but his contract is also up to 2023 and, like Ox (but perhaps a little less), there might be a decision to make in the next 6/12 months.

So as things stand, out of 8 of them, 1 will almost surely leave, 1 we have to monitor every year and see what’s best for all parties, decision to make over 2 of them.

Keita and even Ox might see their opportunity in us still needing numbers. Midfield was a very strong area for us in last years, we almost always had one or two players there who you knew what you’d get from them and there was nothing less than that.

But they would also be then in their final 2 years and I also hope we’re not handing 5-year contracts left, right and centre, as easily as we did with Matip (him not playing international football probably played a big part and we took it knowing that the best case scenario, he might never play more than 30ish games per season in all competitions) and especially Origi (hopefully we can still sell him for decent money), all shortly after Madrid.

At one point last summer it was said that we might sell Ox, but then Pearce said the club still counted on him. Doesn’t have to be true of course.

Pearce also said that he believes the club would seek for a Gini replacement, even with us having enough numbers if he left, say, tomorrow. Let’s see what type of player that would be (as for that CB we will aim). We knew more or less what type of forward we were looking for last summer. Interested to see what we do at CB and CM now.

9 Likes

Curtis Jones - i am not saying that he is already better than Keita and Ox - but at least he offers constant availability and that could mean he will be ahead of them soon.

So Keita and Ox might be happy to see Gini leave (I am clearly not).

8 Likes

Yes Curtis Jones needs to be factored into the options. He’s growing nicely. Eye for goal, plays off both feet, confident, yet strangely the most impressive thing for me lately is he is learning to just play solid I.e. give it simple, be available for a pass, keep it moving along, don’t feel like you have to do something special to catch the eye.

Don’t get me wrong, he can do special things, but when a player is coming through, it tells me something about their confidence when they do normal stuff with aplomb.

8 Likes

I think I look at it like this.

Centre Back we have VvD and Gomez nailed on when they come back.

Centre Mid we have Henderson, Thiago and Jones nailed on.

That leaves 5 slots. Phillips or Rhys Williams could maybe cover half a slot one or both between them. Milner half a slot in Midfield. So that leaves me with Fabinho (a really good DM) spending half a slot in CM and half a slot at CB (where he’s been awesome).

One CB slot left which is kind of Matips by default right now but do we need to bring someone in whilst VvD and Gomez are out and (provided new guy has worked out) let Matip move on when they come back? We just can’t rely on him.

2 CM slots left which by default are kind of Keita and Ox’s but yet again will it actually be best to let maybe one of them move on? Midfield could do with some young players coming in to join with Jones and be the long term future of midfield after Henderson, Thiago, Wijnaldum and Milner all probably move on within the next 5 years. With contract lengths and availability could it be wise letting one of Keita/Ox move on and bring in someone young and full of potential? Camavinga would be the dream.

Of course we might not have to buy, these replacements, or at least some of them, may come from the academy. By the end of this season Rhys Williams for instance might be a genuine first 4 CB choice on merit and keep that role even when others are available.

1 Like

Konate is the move to make here. Upamecano is a nice lad but really overrated. IMO Konate is the better player in this moment and with equal or greater the upside.

5 Likes

I think that some article read that he was injured for most of the last year or the last season. Was it some impact injury or something else?

2 Likes

I think it was in his hip. Then he had a setback in rehabilitation. He’s 100% fully fit now.

1 Like

A bird in the hand is worth 2 on the treatment table.

4 Likes

I’ve seen that video.

6 Likes

To me Curtis Jones is now below Hendo, Gini and Fabinho (and he is playing at the back).

You could throw in Thiago who would play if he could I assume but he has come on so much, a player I feel that will save us another 30-40m in time.

7 Likes

As long as his injury issues are sorted. Not going to lie they’d have me nervous. Last season or so he’s made Matip look like Milner for availability.

2 Likes

We can all stop fretting…

Liverpool have added Roma centre-back Roger Ibanez to their list of defensive targets to cover injured Netherlands international Virgil van Dijk, 29, and could bid £30m for the 22-year-old Brazilian. (AS Roma Live, via Team Talk)

3 Likes

Business with Roma doesn’t seem like a good idea.

1 Like

Yeh, never signed anyone good from them.

10 Likes

Neither of you play the guitar do you.

2 Likes

At the risk of ruining some good points isn’t he only at Roma on loan owned by Atalanta. Which makes me not believe it as it sounds like too messy a situation to resolve in January.

1 Like

Haha, was exactly my first association! Well, that would certainly be a better deal than signing Ben Gibson, no?

ducks for cover

5 Likes

Feverishly Googles to see if there is a young Irish player called Strat O’Caster…

8 Likes

But Fabino at CB is way better than Gomez ever was. VVD and Fabino as permanent CB’s will be on another level.

3 Likes

That will be more than just a fender bender

4 Likes