The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

If we can get Thiago or Keita fit to give real midfield alternatives, that could give us a spine of granite.

3 Likes

And his friend Oā€™fender

1 Like

I donā€™t think we need to make definitive statements like that VvD, Fabinho and Gomez are all elite level CBs to me and any two and itā€™s great. Matip is too if he hasnā€™t got an injury or coming back from one. So quite rarely. I think Matip needs to move on when the two injured ones come back. Thereā€™s room for a CB to come in. Just maybe not required if Fabinho becomes a full time CB instead of splitting his time between two positions. Williams may be ready to be 4th choice by next summer. Just be a bad half a season trying to rely on Matip.

2 Likes

Read a report yesterday that we are interested in Renato Sanches to replace Gini, and will tempt City to take a monetary offer for Garcia now rather than losing him to Barca for free in the summer.

People get paid for this shit.

3 Likes

I take all these rumours with a pinch of salt but the Sanches link isnā€™t that fanciful. He seems to have gotten over that nightmare period at Bayern where he lost all confidence. Maybe heā€™s found his level, maybe the player people thought he might be is starting to emerge.

Also, with the French TV deal going bust and Lille already in some serious financial trouble you could see us being opportunistic should an underpriced deal be available.

Highly doubt it but far from the most ridiculous rumour.

3 Likes

Didnā€™t he spend another disastrous period at Southampton? Why would we have him? Plus he is injury prone unlike Gini

2 Likes

Swansea, not Southampton.

2 Likes

File this one under ā€œunreliableā€ but heā€™s a nice player indeed - though far from Wijnaldumā€™s level.

2 Likes

Think he went to Bayern too young and was eaten up by the Bavarian machine. The loan spell was at Swansea but it didnā€™t help him.

No ideas on injuries but buying players with unfashionable pasts is exactly the kind of thing we do.

I donā€™t believe it but donā€™t think itā€™s as fanciful as others might believe.

3 Likes

Sorry I thought it was saints all the same he didnā€™t seem to take to the PL very well

2 Likes

Brighton and Mali midfielder Yves Bissouma, 24, is being closely followed by Liverpool ahead of the January transfer window as a potential replacement for Netherlands midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum, 30, who is out of contract in the summer. (ESPN)

3 Likes

I like Laurens generally, though donā€™t know how well heā€™s informed in this particular case. Letā€™s see if this one has legs.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s the relevant extract,

AS: Letā€™s speak a little about some Spanish clubs that you are always being linked with, namely Real Madrid and Barcelona. I was wondering if you would rule out playing for either of them.

Salah: I think Madrid and Barcelona are top clubsā€¦ We never know what is going to happen in the future, but right now Iā€™m focused on winning the Premier League and the Champions League again with my club.

Bit of a strange spin from the BBC gossip column. The summary suggests heā€™s practically inviting approaches from Real Madrid and Barcelona when the reality is that his answer is a non-committal ā€œyou never know what the future holdsā€ response.

The rest of the interview relating to club football he makes it very clear that he wants to break every single Liverpool record. If heā€™s just talking about goalscoring that would mean he wants to be here for at least another 7 years at his current scoring rate.

9 Likes

I read that too Kopstar. And they released those completely out-of-context quotes early, prior to the entire interview dropping, just to create buzz and drama. They made it sound like Mo is itching for a move to one of those clubs. When thatā€™s not even remotely close to what he said when read in its entirety. Itā€™s irresponsible.

6 Likes

Hughes said itā€™s very rare for him to accept interviews. Especially in this virus situation, etc. There might be something in it, though we donā€™t have to panic. The club might have to make a few decisions from the summer of 2021 on, with quite a few key players having 2 years left on their deals from that point.

3 Likes

Even if you buy that he can rehab himself sufficiently at somewhere like Lille to go straight back to the level he was seen at when he was at Benfica, heā€™s only played about 20 games there. I dont rule out he could get his career back on track, but to be a January target for us? I cannot buy that.

2 Likes

BBC:
Liverpool are considering selling ā€œunhappyā€ Egyptian forward Mohamed Salah, 28, says former Egypt player Mohamed Aboutrika. (Bein Sports via Goal)

I call bullshit.

6 Likes

Like given for your comment not the article.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Sounds very reliable to me. Heā€™s basically gone. FSG Out.

2 Likes