The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Rumours about again re. Renato Sanches to Liverpool for £16m in Jan.

Would be interested to see what Klopp could get out of Sanches. Like many young players that burst onto the scene at international tournaments, he moved for a massive fee to a big club and failed.

My primary concern would be his injury record. Seems to have a lot of hamstring issues - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/renato-sanches/verletzungen/spieler/258027

Ok with me.

telegraph reporting we’re going for Kabak too.

Spit shakes all around?

1 Like

Poor Divock.

3 Likes

I think McGrath said that Kabak is one of five or six centre backs that Liverpool are following. Hedging his bets perhaps but I think he’s a decent source of info, though I don’t think he should be better connected to Liverpool than Bascombe. Anyway, if it was between Wolves and Schalke, I think Origi will pick the former. I’m still not convinced that Klopp will sign a centre back next year but we’ll see. If he does, I hope it’s because Matip will be leaving at the end of this season, not because injuries to Van Dijk or Gomez will have proved to be more serious than first thought.

2 Likes

Why would you want Matip to leave?

7 Likes

Easily our next best CB after Virg for me. Fabinho is pushing close and may go beyond, but no, why would you want Joel to leave :thinking:

7 Likes

Yeah exactly.

I know his availability isn’t great, but it’s not that bad apart from last season. Even if Matip is only fit for 50% of the games at least we know that he is guaranteed quality.

Having watched a bit of the young CBs linked with us like Schuurs, Upamecano, Konate, Kabak…there’s no doubt that these players are a distance off Matip’s current level. I’ve seen those players make as many mistakes in 1 or 2 games this season as Matip’s made in the last 2 and a half years.

7 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJZZNHekEQw

Where Virg is the Sword and Joel the Staff - “you shall not pass” :mage:

3 Likes

Only because he is almost always injured. I love him as a player and as a character, you know I wanted him to extend his contract but if his availability over past two years is anything to go by, we won’t be seeing him that often. With Van Dijk out and Gomez suffering his third big injury, if I’m not mistaken, third choice CB should be more reliable than him.

7 Likes

I’ve watched a little bit of Kabak, admittedly not a massive amount, but I don’t get it at all. He looks complete garbage to me.

5 Likes

Who would you replace him with that is of comparable quality?

1 Like

Whats this third choice? Gomez I would guess has been out by more for comparable proportions of their tenures at the club. This is Gomez’s second season lay off.

1 Like

I don’t have any names, honestly, I’d leave that to club’s scouting department (looking at how Fofana is playing for Leicester, I guess that there are some good options out there). I do watch Champions League and some Bundesliga but I can’t say that any attainable CB caught my eye - maybe aside from Schuurs, who gave a good account of himself in both games against Liverpool but Minamino did that last year, too, so now I’m a bit apprehensive when it comes to signing players from weaker leagues.

Ability-wise, there aren’t many PL centre backs I’d have over him but, according to Transfermarkt, he’s played 80 PL games’ worth of minutes in four and a half years - and he was brought in as a starter, while Gomez and Lovren had their injury issues and losses of form in the meantime.

Going by Transfermarkt again, I’d say that they are pretty close in that regard - Gomez has been at Liverpool one year longer and played twenty more PL games’ worth of minutes. I’d keep Gomez over him, if I really had to choose, because Gomez is younger, stronger, quicker and he managed to have more consistent streaks than Matip - in my opinion, at least.

2 Likes

It was you that raised the differentiation that Gomez was more selectable because of injury over Matip; now I sense you are trying to turn it around. Gomez simply isnt going to make it in the game much past 25, but the same, thats just my opinion.

1 Like

If we sign a central defender it should be someone who is good enough to fancy their chances of being the regular partner for VVD. Then let the cards fall where they may.

If Gomez finds his best form after injury, and gets the nod, excellent.
If Matip is fit and on song, and to be fair his level is usually high when available, then excellent.

On injuries, my take is Gomez has had a couple of long term injuries, whereas Matip has had a succession of short term ones, and doesn’t seem like his body can do back to back games. Very good player though.

But to overcome possible question marks in the central defensive ranks, if we sign someone they should have enough quality to fancy their chances to win the battle to partner VVD.

Mind you, it is such a fascinating season that for all we know, Klopp is growing his own player for the job as we speak, a tall lad named Rhys Williams, plucked from non league football a year ago, who has featured in the CL and PL and hasn’t looked out of place, which is remarkable for a kid.

7 Likes

I’m not sure how my post sounded to you but I’ve always said that the two of them plus Lovren weren’t physically reliable options - but I firmly believe that Gomez is a better one than Matip in the long term because, while he suffered season-ending injuries, he usually followed them by extended periods of availability (and I think his performances have been at least on par with those of Matip - some of those have been so good that people were saying he was playing better than Van Dijk at one point).

Gomez’ latest injury might prove me wrong, obviously, and I might be writing the same about him in the not too distant future. However, I’m convinced that by the time he gets back to training, Matip will get injured a few more times, just like Keita, and you can’t build a side around such players.

5 Likes

Wait,what,hang on a sec,so they want us to give them Origi PLUS cash for Kabak???

Origi is atleast £20mill-25mill,Kabak isn’t worth anywhere near that and they want cash ontop,is this some kind of bad christmas cracker joke?? why would we bring in a useless young CB and block the pathway of Rhys Williams who’s younger,plus head and shoulders better than Kabak right now,surely if we are buying a CB its for an older more experienced one,who wont mind taking a back seat when our CB’s are fit again.

2 Likes

Maybe have a look at the thread title. :joy:

3 Likes

When was the last time Matip was available for a run of 10 league games? In fact when was the last time he was available for a run of five?

1 Like