The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Went to Fleetwood made 4 appearances none since October 3rd.

2 Likes

There was a rumour we were going to recall Karius also for the same reason not getting games.

He played like two games.

I don’t at all get the malaise from some about Botman. There’s this weird contingent of people chatting shit. He’s exactly the profile of player the club target. He’s not going to come in and be Virgil right off the mark but he’s also only 20 years old with a really high ceiling. But I guess it’s easier and maybe more fun to be a grumpy.

3 Likes

There were rumors floating last week that Monaco was possibly interested in Karius. He’s not going to get a game with Union anytime soon.

1 Like

Yes, it most definitely is.

3 Likes

What makes him so promising? How often have you seen him play?

We’re in a position now where we should only be recruiting the very best. If a player is not world class, close to it or has that level of talent then there’s little point. This to a degree comes down to scouting and identifying the right players. Not always straight forward with young players who’re developing.

Odd reply. Merely asked a question. Next time don’t bother ‘junior’.

2 Likes

No, please tell me. World class talent scout. You asked me what makes Botman promising. Please tell me what makes a world class center half and then tell me who you’ve scouted that fits that bill. Good for the goose and all that good stuff.

So by that reasoning we should not have signed Jota because there was nothing to suggest he was any of those things from his Wolves days.

5 Likes

Possibly only Alisson and Thiago fit into that category. Everyone else has been scouted and matched to the needs of our squad. Whether they were steady, good players with potential at Roma and Southampton like Salah, Mane and VvD or unfancied players at relegated clubs like Wijnaldum and Robertson. Or like Matip who even as a bosman wasn’t beating off suitors with a stick. World class players can come from anywhere. They don’t have to be valued where they are they need to be a well thought out transfer for where they are going.

6 Likes

What I’ve really liked about our transfers is we do them swiftly and mostly under the radar and early into the transfer window. I also like the fact we’re relying heavily on data and deciding on a player based on the need of the team. I like the idea of bringing in players with these high potentials, where we finish them and raise them up a level, to me that’s true coaching, not being the finished article is better in many respects, they aren’t going to screw up the team morale, ego is manageable. We also don’t spend 3-4 times the fee, agent fees are less, wages based on effort etc. We tend to end up with the odd random name most of us hasn’t heard of, but I like that personally.

Jota btw wasn’t an unknown and a bit of a steal I was amazed we got him actually I rated him highly. He was a good player for Wolves and I think they’ve felt the loss this season. Just wish he was available over the past few games, we likely would have won not drawn with his creativity.

5 Likes

I watched a video of VVD highlights in one of his Southampton games the other day and he’s a completely different player now. The grace and effortlessness that he now has has replaced the aggression and running around he did before he came to us. He was a good player then, of course, but he’s a different level now. That’s what we can do when we develop a player. We don’t need or want the finished article because if we know they can be improved it’s win/win for everyone involved. We desperately needed a new CB when we brought Virgil in, and we desperately need one now. The difference is this time we’re defending our title instead of chasing. The odds are much higher and time is not on our side. I would be fucking astounded (and more than a little mad) if we didn’t bring someone in this month :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yeah he has played 2 games according to Wikipedia, not surprising they asked him back, easily get better preparation for the U23s than sitting on a bench in Fleetwood and playing in their reserve teams.

3 Likes

Fleetwood is an absolute shithole :frowning: Like, nobody in their right mind would want to live there.

3 Likes
1 Like

The more he doesn’t play, the more he doesn’t concede. We won’t get a penny for this guy.

3 Likes

Now, why would Leipzig need a centre half given they have Upamecano and Konate :eyes:

1 Like

From today’s BBC gossip column:

New Paris St-Germain boss Mauricio Pochettino hopes 22-year-old France forward Kylian Mbappe will sign a new contract amid interest from Liverpool . (AS)

It’s on.

6 Likes

He would clearly be awesome but we cannot finance that …unless somebody’s pays 150m for Salah and they sell him for 200m.

Ok… maybe we could :wink:

4 Likes