The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Completely agree.
My point on the fee was perhaps they dont value him at £30m or whatever Bayern are asking for a soon to be 30 year old in a market that is falling.

Pretty sure theres a way round the fee thing (if an issue exists at all) leaving your point on revenue uncertainty vs wages.

2 Likes

I’ve thought this for the past few months,i know players have contracts but i can’t see how clubs can carry on paying them to the degree they are now,with every club losing huge sums of cash from the lack of fans in stadiums and tv rights having to be paid back.

If this carries on for another full season,it’ll cripple clubs massively.I know i’ll probably get slaughtered by some for this but i truely think the players should take some responsibility in taking % cuts in their wages,especially ones earning over £100k a week to help clubs out.

Lets be honest here they are in an amazing position with financial stability,when your average guy on the street is losing money through furlough,having to change working hours,having to go back part time,being made redundant or asked to take voluntary redundancy to help out the company you work for,why should players be any different when the clubs finances are being decimated pretty quickly.

6 Likes

Average EFL wage has dropped dramatically I believe. The adjustment is easier at that level as most are on one year contracts.

2 Likes

I’d guess EFL clubs have felt the financial pinch a lot earlier aswell,seeing as match day revenue’s are probably one of,if not the biggest incomes coming into the club,where as in the Prem the money for sponsorship,advertising and tv money is a lot higher in comparison, which has enabled them to keep their heads above water for longer,i can’t see this bubble lasting too much longer,i’m suprised clubs haven’t asked the players to take a wage cut already,especially when you think since coronavirus started we’ve paid out £150mill in wages and earned £0 in match day revenues.

4 Likes

Yeah I’m waiting for an across the board 20-25% cut personally. Expect it won’t happen until/if we get another lockdown nearer year’s end/confirmation of no fans into 2021 or further TV contract renegotiation. If this doesn’t happen then individual contract renewals will become difficult with players being offered massively less than they expect/their still in contract peers are on. Will be interesting to see the optics - remember cashley and his ‘55k is an outrage’ ?? Also expect that the ‘base weekly wage’ model will go out the window at the same time and clubs will move more towards a variable rewards based contract.

2 Likes
2 Likes

How desperate to sell will clubs be in January if we don’t have fan attendance for the first half of the season???

Many other clubs were estimating a loss of about 3 or 4m per game without fans. Unless there is an extraordinary deal available, it makes sense to hold our bullets and shop in a depressed market.

In a few months time we are going to have a sell or fold situation at a lot of clubs which will affect the whole market.

1 Like

With wolves allegedly interested in AOC, would you be happy swapping him Codey?

1 Like

No thanks - Bringing Cody in would either mean a change in formation to play a back 3, or playing him in a back 4 which he is not familiar with as Wolves haven’t played with a back 4 for a good 3-4 years

2 Likes

I’d be happy replacing him with Thiago.

2 Likes

Not sure I believe these rumours. AOC rumour sounds an odd one. Can’t see him wanting to leave at the moment , all though regular starts may be something that would turn his head. If we do bring in another forward his playing time will be more limited and we can expect Jones to feature more than Lallana did.

We would sometimes miss his directness, but I guess with already having Jones, Keita and Milner, and Minamino, that is covered somewhat.

3 Likes

Wolves aren’t interested in AOC, that’s just a click bait from journalists dying for a rumour.

2 Likes

Perhaps @Lowton_Red or @Arminius can offer some insight on this, but i don’t think the debt is considered as a cost in that respect - it’s the interest charged on the debt that is the cost. Hence why some businesses carry large debt in order to use the interest cost to help bring down their taxes (seems a popular strategy for Buy to Let owners for example) .

If day to day operational expenses are just covered by all revenue before sales (which Swiss Ramble basically says is the case), and the repayment of the debt is not considered as an operational expense in this regard (only the payment of the interest is), then it follows that the relatively quick repayment of the loans has only been made possible through the income brought in by player sales, does it not?.

3 Likes

The equivalent of Gary Mc would be perfect.

I’m not sure why we would need a Gary Mac? We already have plenty of experience throughout the side.

2 Likes

Why would they sign anyone with such a chronic injury record?

2 Likes

Equivalent at CB. Seasoned pro in his twilight to cover. We have 3 starting first team CBs with one being injured regularly. The backup is youth only. Don’t want to see any if the kids starting against PSG in the semifinal of the CL.

With how demanding Klopp is of his CBs and how athletic they have to be I’m not sure I’d want to see a Gary Mac style CB for us in any game that mattered especially up against fast forwards like Mbappe and Neymar! I’d be picking Fabinho or the kids! A Gary Mac style CB option would only be useful against brutish, slow, conniving style CFs (which, admittedly, are quite common in our league) but even then may be fatally exposed against any quick attacking mids, supporting strikers or wingers the other team have supporting that CF.

1 Like

Agreed. Look at the sort of football Spurs are now required to play with CBs as slow as this Dier and this version of Alderweild. As valuable as it was to have someone as good and experienced as Hyypia be told 5 mins before kick off that he had to play against Utd, we just could not play the way we do now if that was our CB cover option.

4 Likes

We have him already, Jimmy M!