The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

100% agree. The fee reported is a joke. How quickly we forget all that Bobby has brought, and continues to bring, to our team/squad

3 Likes

I see many are readily assuming that Carvalho is going straight in as a starter. I think these people will be disappointedā€¦

2 Likes

As someone still scared by the repeated failures of the likes of Biscan and Vladi to reproduce their fine pre-season form into games that mattered, over numerous years, I am talking myself into keeping expectations low with Carvalho despite how good he has looked. The flip side is what Klopp did with Elliott last season.

Happy Jeff Goldblum GIF by Apartments.com

2 Likes

I think Carvalho will have to bide his time, but he looks bright as a button and will see some useful action for us, especially with the 5 sub rule too.

The main point for me on Firmino is I hope he stays, but we would be influenced by what the player wanted to do. If he sees the writing on the wall, in that he was becoming more of a squad man, and then fancied a new challenge with Juventus, the potential move is plausible.

Mind you, I hope not.

I honestly think Bobby will keep his level and wonā€™t regress much as a player now for the next 3-4 years, and he would be very useful for us to keep around. Iā€™d like to see him sign a new deal.

3 Likes

I think with Salah committing I donā€™t think the club is too bothered if one of them goes on a free and I still think he will stay.

1 Like

I love Bobby. Would rather have him over Ox and Naby put together, though thats more due to their unfortunate luck with injuries tbf. His reading of the game is so good, and his game has never been about pace. Probably has two more years at the top level in him at least.

Although I havenā€™t seen it done in preseason, I hope we give him minutes in games in midfield, especially against sides that love to strangle the life out of the games.

Surely Voronin was the poster child for this.

I still have nightmares.

2 Likes

Fairly strong consensus on a no to Firmino out, midfielder in.

Pretty happy to see to be honest. Iā€™m not ready for him to go and can see him playing a smaller but still important role this season.

Not sure he gets another deal though if Nunez hits the ground running.

Why not? Thereā€™s always room for someone with his skillset. Unless we have another forward breaking through itā€™ll just a question of how much itā€™ll beā€¦

2 Likes

Always felt with those original three forwards having their contracts end at the same that weā€™d see one renew, one sold and one would walk on a free.

Not even heard talk of a renewal for him and weā€™re now inside his last 12 months. Maybe now Salah and Mane situations have been resolved we see movement on a new deal for Bobby. But, heā€™s 31 in October and will likely need to agree to vastly different terms in order to remain.

I Hate You Goodbye GIF by Britannia on EPIX

8 Likes

Carvalho will be a regular in the squad, maybe not a regular starter. Heā€™s one of the best young players in the country.

6 Likes

I wonder if the world cup could be an advantage here. If the world cup was further away you could see him wanting to push for a move. But youā€™d think that come January a new cycle will start for most teams and at 31 Bobby likely wont be included in that and so the pressure to play for us to keep him at the forefront of consideration for Brazil will disappear. That could lead to more acceptance of a change in role for us as well.

1 Like

I personally donā€™t understand why there is so much discussion about Bobby leaving as if heā€™s started his downward spiral.

Last season he was out for 4 games in September with a muscle injury, out for 8 games in November-December with a hamstring injury, COVID in January, 8 games in February-March with more muscular problems, then to top it off, 7 games with a foot injury in April-May.

If you were all arguing that we canā€™t rely on him due to injuries, well, it would be stupid basing it off one unlucky season given his stellar fitness record, but at least it would be understandable. But the discussion on here seems to be that we are beyond him, or that Klopp doesnā€™t favour him, or something along those lines.

I think if Bobby is over those injuries this season, thereā€™s a good chance he picks up as many or more minutes than Nunez.

He might move next season. But that will be completely up to him if he wants something fresh. I feel he is one of the club greats and I donā€™t see us actively selling him. If heā€™s over those injuries, Iā€™m sure heā€™ll show everyone he is still at his peak this season.

11 Likes

Then he will remember that he will have to play alongside that bellend Pogba and wonā€™t want a bar of it.

1 Like

So that injury record last season, plus his age, plus his contract situation is why him leaving is being discussed. Also factoring in Jota looking far better centrally than wide and the fact weā€™ve broken our transfer record for a new centre forward.

Itā€™s not hard to see his time coming to an end here. I wouldnā€™t expect it this summer and nor would I want it. But next summer, itā€™s entirely possible I reckon.

1 Like

I do not really disagree with any of the points you have raised. However, I do think a lot of the links are the rags hedging their bets, for some of the reasons you mentioned.
I personally hope we extend Bobbyā€™s contract, I can not think of a player who does what he does. Also, his ā€˜gameā€™ is not based solely on a physical attribute, like raw speed, so I do not see any reason why he could not play into his mid 30ā€™s for us.

I hope Bobby will stay and I think he will, but if Juventus actually make an offer and heā€™s interested in going there, I doubt if the club would stand in his way. But a replacement would have to found first. In fact, I think weā€™re wrong in not buying a back-up forward regardless of what Bobby does.

As has been said earlier, Jota is injured, Diaz has been with us only since Jan and obviously Nunez is a new boy. Origi & Minamino havenā€™t been replaced so I think we need to buy a forward, preferably a right sided one, ASAP. But it wonā€™t happen if Bobby doesnā€™t leave.

EDIT: I see that Carvalho is listed as a forward on the official site. So, have we already bought Bobbyā€™s replacement? Still think we need the forward equivalent of Nat Phillips just in case we have an injury crisis up front.

Mitrovic

I canā€™t disagree with that. Its entirely possible Klopp already knows Bobby is leaving next season and he has gone and hunted Nunez as a replacement.

Its also very likely that we are not going to see the exact same playing style this season. The loss of Mane IMO is going to bring about a bit of a change. I certainly see us playing with an extra attacking player in front of a double pivot. And I see Bobby, Carvalho and possibly Elliott playing in that role. Absolutely, there will be tonnes of minutes for Bobby this season. I can certainly see him playing 3000+ minutes across all competitions like he has every year before the injury-riddled last one.

IMO, Nunez and Jota wonā€™t be a hindrance in Bobby getting minutes. He will just be used differently.

1 Like