The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Why on earth am I seeing the name Bobby Duncan pop up here.

1 Like

A cautionary tale on your choice of a unreliable agent when angling for a transfer.

1 Like

Yeah no I get that, but lets put that to use on players that are actually of any significance.

7 Likes

:laughing: :rofl:

1 Like

Saw a tweet that has Juventus approaching LFC for Firmino for 23 million euros which is about 19 million poundsā€¦A tad too little for him!

You sure it wasnā€™t a loan to buy deal, where the ā€œpurchase optionā€ would coincidentally take place after his contract with us expires?

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a question, would you take that offer for Firmino (assuming itā€™s not some silly loan with an option) if that meant bringing in a midfielder this summer that isnā€™t Bellingham?

Weā€™re pretty deep on forward options now and it may be our last chance to get some cash for Bobby. There seems to be a lot of people that believe he might get more game time as a 10 in a 4-2-3-1 anyway but would another midfielder to play in a 4-3-3 improve the team and squad?

Donā€™t think I would. Would heavily depend on the midfielder in question but there could be merit to it.

1 Like

Weā€™re not that deep on forward options. If we let Firmino leave we would only have four strikers. Jota is injured, Diaz has only been here 6 months and Nunez looks good but might take time to get going. Iā€™d like a new midfielder if Ox left but not at the expense of a forward.

11 Likes

Agreed, weā€™ve just sold Taki and let Origi go. Nunez was a straight replacement for ManĆ©.

2 Likes

Unless Carvallho and Elliot are considered potential forward options?

4 Likes

Havenā€™t seen enough of Carvalho to form an opinion but Elliott definitely seems more suited to midfield.

JK has said that thereā€™ll be no more additions to the first team squad unless somebody leaves or we are hit with a long term injury. Ergo if bobby goesā€¦ well, JK isnā€™t prone to disinformation in my experience. Contingency targets will have been drawn up.

I wouldnā€™t, Iā€™m pretty happy with the midfield options for the season. I also think Bobby is a very important character in the dressing room, more then heā€™s given credit for. He never relied on pace and his football IQ and technique are as good as ever. He appears to have accepted his new role as a squad player because he loves being here and I think heā€™ll sign a new contract on much less terms eventually.

7 Likes

No way we should let Bobby go this summer. So much change already.

4 Likes

Iā€™m wondering if heā€™ll eventually be playing on a pay-as-you-win-trophies contractā€¦ And still be our best-paid player.

You know that we donā€™t actually have to accept a bid?

2 Likes

I canā€™t see Bobby going anywhere. More likely to sign an extension.

8 Likes

No, I wouldnā€™t be selling Firmino for the fee reported.

Despite not playing as much last year I thought he was very good when he did get a look in. He still has plenty left to offer.

I hope he signs for another 3/4 years, a perfect squad player.

12 Likes

I hope Firmino signs a new deal, as I think he can make an important contribution for a few more years to come. With that said, I would want to know what the player wants.

Letā€™s imagine a world where Bobby is now more of a squad man. Darwin plays the nine, and Carvalho really impresses with putting him through on goal, if we go with more of a number 10 sort of option.

Where does that leave Bobby? Ok, he could deputize for Darwin through the middle, or he could be the one to play the number 10 sort of role if we are playing that way on the day.

Or arguably Bobby might think Juventus, big team in Italy, always competing for the title, always in the CL, slower league, letā€™s give it a go.

If the player was interested, I donā€™t think we would stand in his way.

If we chose to boost the midfield at that point, fine, but it wouldnā€™t be like for like. Still, Matheus Nunes seems to have caught the eye and might be the one we go for. Or arguably we might go for a wide striker, raw but with a high ceiling if it all clicks. Tough to say what we would do.

Iā€™d rather Bobby stayed, but would be willing to work with him if he liked the idea of a move to Juventus.