The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

But are we going for Jude or Jobe?

Both? Supposedly we have an interest in each of them.

2 Likes

If we do get both the JB boys, I hope we secure JJB sports as our shirt sponsor.

1 Like

You’re the old git, you should know :wink:

Would he even consider moving to a Championship side though?

Hey Jude, don’t let us down

Seems to me Bellingham falls into the Virgil category in terms of interest from the club and the corresponding confidence in him arriving.

2 Likes

With the injury situation as it is I’m really surprised we haven’t moved up a target in midfield to this window.

This attitude of ours where it seems it has to be player x and player x alone seems a bit silly to me what if player x breaks his leg this season and is out of the game for 12 months or more what then? We’ve waited 12 months for a player not to arrive and compromised this and next season. Granted it worked with Virgil but could just as easily gone the other way.

Surely a scenario where you have multiple targets with similar skillsets is a more prudent approach and gives you greater flexibility.

I cant see us extending Naby now with this latest injury and with his injury record overall with us I think he needs to ensure he can move on a free to secure a similar contract to what he has now.

Im getting the same feeling when we let Lovren go and convinced ourselves we could get away with it. There isnt really one midfielder we have who is bullet proof, we let him go too. Hendo and Fab get niggles. Thiago missed 25-30% of games. Curtis seems to be in a bad patch ans is missing alot of games. Ox and Naby are 50:50 at best. Milly getting on.

We will need the stars to align to challenge for the league with that midfield. And tbh even just adding Bellingham to that list doesnt solve all our problems.

Were already 7 points back which isnt insurmountable if we had a full squad fit and firing but we dont. Could be in for a slog this season and given the issues at CB two seasons back I would have thought we would be more proactive in ensuring we didnt fall into the same trap.

3 Likes

You are joking but the way some fans are going on, one would think that. An abnormal amount of injuries coupled with a loss of form has led to lots of questions about this team’s quality. The same team that beat comprehensively ‘all conquering’ Man City a few weeks ago and came closer to a quadrable than anyone else before. Not saying that it couldn’t use a new addition, especially in the midfield, but under normal circumstances it’s more than good enough to challenge on all fronts.

It didn’t suddenly turn into shit in the space of 3 weeks.

5 Likes

Separates the knee-jerkers from the rest, I guess.

2 Likes

Currently, what’s the difference between a knee-jerker and a person who says “Excuse me gentlemen but we’re dreadfully short of midfielders due to injury and age, would it be acceptable to maybe acquire additional re-enforcements please?”

3 Likes

Some of us were pointing out this scenario and the need to do business in this area this summer back during last season when we were pretty much winning every game we played. The “knee-jerk” shouts is just a way to dismiss people’s opinions as not valid despite the validity of them staring us right in the face.

I wonder how long this run of form and performances would need to continue for “the rest” to join the “knee-jerkers” in thinking we might have got this wrong.

1 Like

When you see the links to Leandro Paredes then realise he’s 28 and misses a lot of games per year through injury

The Office Jim GIF

Strange. Why would Winter of all people go public and hint at Bellingham joining LFC next summer?

In my opinion, the chance of him joining a mega-money club is much higher than joining us. Money talks, and will also talk next summer. But even if he had by any chance his heart firmly set on joining us, what if we don’t make top four? What if he injures himself seriously? What if his performances nosedive spectacularly?

Honestly, at this point, I wouldn’t bet a dime on Bellingham joining us next summer, simply because it’s much too far away. A full season is an eternity in football. That’s why I’m surprised to see someone usually as serious as Henry Winter going with such a comment.

2 Likes

No but it has highlighted some issues with parts of the team that are crucial to how we play

In the CL and PL winning teams the key components were Salah and ManĂ© up front, Hendo and Gini and combo of either Milner or Fab in midfield, and our back 4 (switching between Matip and Joe who didn’t get injured the majority of the title winning season).

At the time Bobby didn’t get injured much. We had either Matip or Joe fit. Trent and Robbo hardly get injured. Hendo would get knocks but we had enough to fill in for him. Gini always played.

Salah and Mané were ever present.

The years have taken their toll, especially on our midfield. We’ve also started changing tactics and focus. A bit more creativity from midfield in addition to from the wings, which also makes the defensive structure less solid.

We can expect the starting forward line will be productive (Salah Nunez Diaz). But as far as goalscoring goes there’s only Jota off the bench. Bobby sadly is fading and doesn’t facilitate chance creation and control as he used to. No more Taki or Origi.

Really could have done with Origi. In fact in hindsight I’d rather we sell Bobby and keep Divock and give him Bobby’s minutes. Carvalho is too young and inexperienced to be counted on as a solid option yet (he is promising though).

Midfield is falling apart due to injuries and age.

Hendo can’t be considered a dependable box to box player any more, he needs to be subbed regularly to give life to his career and keep up our performance levels.

Ox and Keita I don’t count on any more.

Thiago gives us control and creativity but is also injury prone and can’t last the whole season, so needs cover.

Elliott is very good but can’t fully do what Thiago does, nor provide coverage the way Gini used to.

Jones is a solid midfield squad option but at this point that’s all he provides.

Milner should only be used for last 10 minutes to shore up wins.

So there are reasons to be concerned.

2 Likes

Unless the deal has already been struck in advance. Similar in fashion to how we got the deal for Nabby, spoke to club on the quiet “We know you don’t want to sell him this window, we respect that, but how about we pay £X next summer and you get to keep him for the next 12 months, knowing that you’ve got the deal wrapped up and you can concentrate on getting next years targets knowing you have the incomming cash already guaranteed?”

1 Like

Very little, considering you don’t bring in players on a 5 year contract to tide you over just for a month.

1 Like

Naby’s move was officially announced twelve months in advance though.

:2nd_place_medal:| Liverpool are interested in Celtic midfielder Matt O’Riley and there could be a move for him late on in the window.

While the Scottish side don’t want to sell the 21-year-old, they could be tempted by a bid in the region of £15-20m. [@espn]

We’re going to sign someone

Disappointed Chris Farley GIF

2 Likes