The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Speaking of Bellingham. I am pretty sure if the midfielder we sign now costs +£50m we can say goodbye to Bellingam.

I disagree, every journalist including the likes of Joyce has said by next summer we want an overhaul which is 2-3 new midfielders. But for now 1 signing would be great, not having to rely on injury prone players would just be lovely!

1 Like

Agree that we need two midfielders but doubt that we will have another £90m to buy Jude if we use money that was planned for next summer to bring in an expensive CM now.

Thing is we also don’t have players who are likely to be sold next summer.

2 Likes

Yea potentially I do think it’s about wages rather than the fee, and we will be releasing a fair amount of them next summer - Ox, Keita, Milner etc

1 Like

At some point there will also be a limit for the fees Klopp will be able to spend

• Díaz £40m in January
  • Nunez £85m in June
  • a midfielder now (unplanned +£40m?)

and then +£90m for Bellingham next summer. Can’t see it happen.

1 Like

Our net spend on transfers this summer has been about five million. I’m sure we’ve got a few quid stashed away somewhere.

8 Likes

Five? How?

As well as selling Sadio, Neco, Taki and Davies, there is also the Grujic transfer to Porto; he was on loan last season.

1 Like

Not sure if that covers that purchase of Darwin.

Even if. What about the Díaz transfer which was actually planned for this summer. Or the installments for Díaz, Jota and Thiago?

No idea. I’m not @AnfieldRdDreamer ; amortisation and all that stuff is best left to others.

All I can say is that I’m fairly confident that we aren’t down to our last fiver.

6 Likes

Well there goes the f5 button…

Anyway, doubt we’ll sign anyone next week.

We will be linked with de Jong and maybe another one.

We beat Bournemouth today and they will show Thiago who will return to light training next week.

And on Thursday afternoon they will tell us that we won’t sign anyone and that Klopp is happy with the options he has.

Given how Klopps operated since his arrival, and even by his most recent comments in the presser (‘the rught one’), we can be confident it wont be a panic buy.

The issue is that what we (fans) consider a panic buy vs what Klopp/the club consider a panic buy are two very different things, owed to the fact the level of due dilligence is far superior by the club compared to fans. Particualrly twatter cunts and their combination of youtube, FM, and Fifa scouting.

The pool of players we fans think are viable options will be much greater than the pool the club are looking at. So if no one comes the panic will start. The told you so’s, the FSGout, the ‘klopp 7 year curse’.

Fun times ahead.

3 Likes

If we play with the youngsters, we lose to United. They’re good but Jones is injured, Elliot is finding his feet and the rest are either crocked or facing the inevitability of time. A James M (when we signed him) for this season right NOW would be excellent. Almost a Gary Mc if you will. Cheap, experienced and more duct tape than a sticking plaster.

I think a deal is done.
No way Klopp talks like that, unless he is certain of something…

Or, Klopp wants FSG to understand the need for a signing. The humble “I was wrong” is a good way of making sure no one else is deemed culpable.

7 Likes

So, most people on here were right about bringing reinforcements in for the midfield. It was obvious the moment Thiago walked off with his hamstring injury.

2 Likes

Jesus fucking Christ and people call me the negative one …

1 Like

Nah we wanted the lad who went to Real and Bellingham so moneys there

1 Like

There’s a dark side to Klopp admitting that not signing a midfielder was a mistake and the recent rumors of us trying to sign one late in the window. I think Klopp and the coaching/fitness team don’t view Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Naby Keïta as viable options for this season.

I don’t think there will be any panic buying. There hasn’t been any since Andy Carroll. So any club dreaming of a windfall is up for a rude awakening. Also, it’s not like we have started searching for a suitable midfielder in the last couple of weeks. Our scouting is extensive & proactive and we probably have a list of suitable (financial, mental, and technical) players. Like some of you have already said, the fact that Klopp has expressed the desire for a new midfielder probably means the negotiation is already in progress.

8 Likes

If we bring in a midfielder it will be that we move up a deal we had earmarked for next summer. We won’t be signing just any random midfielder just because they’re available so we can ignore links to guys like Paredes.

Bellingham probably won’t be brought forward to this year, doesnt seem like Dortmund are willing to do that deal yet.

Potentially we’ve had De Jong as a long term target to replace Thiago? Doesn’t seem like a deal we would normally pursue but I think every club knew blood was in the water there when he agreed to take a temporary paycut. Barcelona are known wankers and in financial trouble so they were always likely to try and move him.

Could also be someone a little more under-the-radar, from a league like Portugal or Netherlands.

3 Likes