The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

That’s my thinking too.

It’s quite a coincidence that the apology and confirmation from Klopp that the club are looking for additional midfielders came after Keita was ruled out of games initially because of illness, then because of injury while stories supposedly from his agent about him demanding to be a starter and his contract talks stalling hit the papers…

I think Klopp was hoping the apology would nip the negativity in the bud. I think it was also his way of saying that he had been backing Keita to stay and be a part of this team - and now thought otherwise.

3 Likes

Pretty balanced this from Reddy. Not sure how much is opinion and how much is actual insight but covers a lot of what’s been discussed here. The desire is there but the ones they might have been looking at have been unavailable, gone elsewhere, been prohibitively expensive or a combination of.

Where that leaves us three days before the close of the window I’m not sure. Can’t see Brighton being willing to entertain losing Caicedo even for a silly fee. Only other names mentioned appear to be Kone and Laimer.

Think we’ll end up doing nothing now citing unavailability or being priced out. No one is selling someone this close to the deadline that isn’t making a push to go or they get a silly offer for. And silly offers just aren’t our thing.

5 Likes

We’ve just paid 100M for a striker that’s had one good season in the Portuguese league…

2 Likes

Real Madrid want Bellingham next summer as a replacement for Modric.

Nunez?
Didn`t cost us 100 million.

2 Likes

Who else we bought because Nunez wasn’t £100m and headbutt aside he’s made a reasonable start given how poor we’d begun the season.

I get that, but it was still silly money whatever way you slice it.

We also paid a then-world-record 75mil for VVD, and a similarly massive sum for Alisson. We’re known to make a big splash and pay “silly” money when we need to, and I’d say that if we’re after Bellingham, we’re prepared to pay silly money for him when the time comes.

Have you been reading shit on the blue moon or red cafe. :grinning::grinning:

Nope :face_with_monocle:

Silly money doesn’t mean expensive, it means paying way over the odds. Would say VvD and Alisson have been pretty good value for money.

As for Nunez, it’s pretty early to make a judgement but £65m for a player with the season he’s just had, his potential and profile is about par for the course these days. Think Vlahovic, Isak, Osimhen and the like. If he costs us the full €100m then he’ll have done pretty well.

1 Like

Sure, but it’s still a risk. Every transfer is a risk, especially the most expensive ones. I’m just saying we’ve made silly offers in the past - thankfully since Klopp arrived most of them have worked out well - but it doesn’t mean we won’t pay silly money for a good prospect.

I’ll give another example - if Harry Maguire and AWB had both become key players for Man United, then those transfers would look like good business. Because they have both spectacularly failed, they look like silly money.

TAW said on the podcast they thought there would be an signing announcement today.

Evidently they know fuck all then…

3 Likes

The £60 million we spent on Keita, that was silly money. John Henry may as well have pissed it down the drain.

£52.75. Was the fee. :grinning::grinning:

Slightly less pissed down the drain then.

I thought we had to pay some extra to get him to come early? Didn’t we?

1 Like

I don’t think he has made enough appearances for us to pay the full amount yet. :grinning::grinning:

2 Likes

Thank God we paid that £5 million then.