The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Those are stories. With the rumor mill scheduled to take a break from September, I guess it’s only natural to expect these stories. The journalists have to make a living you know.

3 Likes

That’s what I said. Don’t believe for a second we’re in for either of them

1 Like

Difference is the stories about us are made up

4 Likes
4 Likes

There is a reason he is still on the market at £12mil… Not sure what it is but his fall from grace is staggering.

3 Likes

There are a few like that. Tielemans another one.

100% If we signed Tielemans it would be a panic signing, I’d rather we didn’t sign anyone than panic buy.

Barkley

run away monty python GIF

2 Likes

A mystery club? Does that mean Leicester don’t know who they are??

I don’t think Klopp’s words were anything more than what they said - we’re looking for a new option for midfield BUT it has ro be the right player. It’s fsirly obvious for a variety of reasons that Barkley isn’t the right player.

Just speculation but the ‘right player’ could include being the right price, so we can pick anyone that is under £25m (for example) but on top of that it has to be a player who isn’t a dick, can play the football we want to play and will fit alongside future targets (eg if we are going to try and get Bellingham next year).

I don’t think he’s said it just to buy some time, I don’t think he’s desperate for a midfielder but FSG won’t back him, I don’t think we’re chasing any also-ran just to appease the fans.

If we sign nobody it’s because we couldn’t get the right player at the right price.

1 Like

I’m taking Klopp’s response of “ish” to the “are we still working on a new midfeild signing” question as ‘100%, yes’.

I’m not in the ‘we desperately need a new midfeilder’ camp, but signing are fun.

3 Likes

Maybe he’s one of a few French players affected by the Pogba curse… :mage:

1 Like

Fair enough but it’s a bit funny that all over the PL midfielders are getting signed except us (and given our injury history and our ageing midfield we need one more than most)

I thought Forest were buying him a couple of weeks ago.

All good points. However, the counter is the reason we’re now seemingly exploring moves is not because of an inability to meet the demands of he next few games but those over the course of a long a weirdly structured season. If the right player is not going to contribute much on the field for several months, then so be it. Theoretically that could even enable a Jan purchase to meet the need, but with the caveat you’d need said player to hit the ground running then. So, it’s maybe a case of a player like Kone needing to come in how, but a Bellingham might be able to wait until Jan.

2 Likes

Not really. This happens every season. We are picking from a much smaller pool of players than most other clubs and have greater sensitivity around the potential for wage and debt commitments to compound and make it harder for future recruitment.

2 Likes

Yes, I wonder if we’ll make a move in January for someone to get the latter half of the season to be ready to replace Keita/Oxlade come next summer.

Whoever that player is, let’s say Kone for example he’s 21, and again for arguements sake you say Bellingham does sign. By next summer our midfield has been refreshed and looks very strong;

Out - Keita, Oxlade, Milner
In - Kone, Bellingham

Midfield (age next summer);
Henderson (33)
Thiago (31)
Fabinho (29)
Jones (22)
Elliott (20)
Carvalho (21)
Bellingham (20)
Kone (22)
Bajcetic (18)

Maybe we want a slightly older player instead of Kone i.e. in the 24-26 bracket so about to hit prime… Could explain why we are struggling to find such a player.

Is price really a big part of the decision making? I mean the ‘no dick heads’ policy often weeds out those who are asking for exorbitant wages anyway.

1 Like

Name’s in an envelope in Brodge’s in-tray. He’s not opened it yet.

2 Likes

Said this at the time Bruno Guimarães is statistically one of the most Thiago “lite” midfielders around.