The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

That Saul guy from Atletico :thinking: :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :blush:

I asked if Barkley was an optionā€¦obviously most people say noā€¦in various ways

I was given a similar style answer to Ward Prowse!

1 Like

@mattyhurst never asked a question though, just stated he was surprised nobody had suggested him.

Ok
Thanks for your input

Anyone know why the window is shutting tomorrow rather than today? I get when itā€™s the 31st is a weekend or Bank Holiday adding on an extra day, but is there a reason why itā€™s not tonight at 11pm/midnight?

New deals with Naby and Ox it is.

No new midfield until summer 2026 lads.

To give us a chance to get in a bargain. :grinning:

1 Like

For all the talk of ā€œthe right one or no oneā€ and ā€œwe donā€™t sign squad playersā€ Shaqiri is a good example of us doing just that.

And whilst he turned out to be nothing more than a squad player, who had injury issues of his own, he made some pretty important and memorable contributions. Then he left for not much less than we paid for him.

Someone like Aouar could be that type of signing if the wages arenā€™t silly. Fee is low enough not to impact spending plans next summer and it might help take some pressure off of loosing up to three midfielders for nothing at the end of the season.

If he excels heā€™s a bargain, if heā€™s okay heā€™s a squad option we can move on when weā€™ve adequate additions and we wonā€™t lose much on him in fees. And if he stinks the place out, well worst case is you move him on for nothing and itā€™s only Ā£12m weā€™ve lost. Thatā€™s a hell of a lot less than weā€™ll lose on Ox and Keita going on frees. Heck, itā€™s less than we were asking for Nat Phillips earlier this summer.

Just seems like a risk we could tolerate given weā€™re compromising on finding ā€œthe perfect targetā€ this late in the window.

5 Likes

Aouar doesnā€™t solve any problems in our midfield, not the type of player we need at all.

4 Likes

And doesnā€™t start ahead of Elliott, Jones or Carvalhoā€¦

Iā€™m not sure people realise how hard it is to find the player to sign.

Add the skillset requirement, the no dickheads policy, within reason transfer/wages, available, good enough to compete for a starting spot now but also improveā€¦

4 Likes

Sneaky bid? He any good?

Yes. Heā€™s brilliant. Heā€™s called ā€˜Alvarezā€™ so he must be good. We should be all over this and if we let Chelsea get him, then itā€™s proof that FSG havenā€™t got the ambition to keep us at the top. Also, I have never seen him play, or indeed heard of him before that tweet.

1 Like

Yeah, I donā€™t get it. Some posters are adament that Carvalho isnā€™t a midfielder in our system but Auoar is? Iā€™m not sure I follow that reasoning.

The balance in our squad is shifted towards technical players - Thiago, Keita, Jones, Elliot and Carvalho. Itā€™s hard to see where the need for a player like Auoar is.

2 Likes

I assume ETH will be in for him as well.

Ajax really should shut shop to be honest.

Henrick Larsson?

1 Like

Well heā€™s not injured so thereā€™s that. Heā€™s also only missed 8 games in three years. Availability is the biggest problem in our midfield now, closely followed by a lack of creativity when Thiago isnā€™t available.

Heā€™s creative, he progresses the ball well, strong technically and looks after the ball well too. Heā€™s also CL experienced which is always a bonus. But admittedly heā€™s not as big, physical or have the engine like Gini or Hendo or Fabinho. But, given we control possession most games and we struggle for creativity without Thiago I think there could be a role for him, especially if weā€™re lining up Bellingham for that box to box type number 8 role next summer.

I just think itā€™s low risk, mid to high reward. Less than 48 hours from the window closing and having accepted perfect isnā€™t likely but someone is needed then I think heā€™s an option worth looking at.

Debatable. Elliott plays the other side, Carvalho has been here five minutes and could well play more as a wide forward and letā€™s be honest, Jones needs to kick on before heā€™s considered ahead of pretty much anyone in the midfield, including a 37 year old James Milner.

1 Like

Scared Meet The Browns GIF by TV One

Henderson injured now. 24 hours to goā€¦

hey jude beatles GIF by Squirrel Monkey

Could we be the mystery offer? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: