The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

This link just feels true, I don’t know why.

Our succession planning has been ridiculous so far - it may not all work of course but it’s pretty incredible to look at how smoothly we have managed to add younger talent.

1 Like

Yeah agreed.

Right attributes for a Klopp centre back, same age as Konate, we have a strong Portuguese contigent and Braga probably won’t make us pay an extortionate amount. The only thing that goes against him is his long term injury, though he seems to have recovered now.

I don’t think Klopp will be forcing Gomez out but if he wants to leave I expect Carmo will be one of the first names mentioned as a replacement.

2 Likes

Do you think Klopp prefers Van Dijk, Matip and now Konate due to their height? Leaving Gomez the odd one out, for example when was Gomez ever a threat at offensive set pieces? Compared to Konate who is an absolute menace already*

Gomez is a brilliant defender don’t get me wrong but just feel for what Klopp wants and what he knows is needed (especially in the league), you need to be a colossus in the air, which Gomez is average at.

2 Likes

Maybe Gomez doesn’t like big hugs… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Yeah, definitely a factor. The likes of Van Dijk and Konate are part of the reason we’re one of the best teams in the world at scoring from set pieces. I imagine adding this giant won’t hurt.

City’s centre backs have been a useful source of goals for them down the years. It’s obviously not the most important attribute but ideally you want someone who offers a threat, Gomez offers next to zilch.

3 Likes

And defensively as well. When we’ve played with defenders who are good but not great in the air, like Gomez (and Kabak), it’s been easier to put us under pressure by going long to a big and strong guy up front. I remember Sheffield United doing that. Probably others as well, but that’s the one that stuck in my memory.

Having Virgil, Konate and Matip pretty much eliminates that option for the opposition, in most cases. So if Gomez wants out and we can replace him with another one like that… I’m in.

2 Likes

At least we will already have a song for Carmo

1 Like

Perfect for every time he gets a red card or subbed off.

Not sure if it’s already been mentioned above, but Carmo is also left-footed, meaning him and Konate could perhaps form our next-generation CB pairing quite comfortably.

I know it’s not essential (Virgil being right-footed and all), but I think it’s definitely another tick in his favour.

4 Likes

In the same article as the Jurgen contract news Joyce confirms interest in Tchouameni and Calvin Ramsey.

3 Likes

Maddock says this…

He will also get the chance to sign young players to enhance his squad, and develop it for the future too, with the likes of Jude Bellingham and Aurelian Tchouaméni very much on the radar. It is a mouth-watering prospect, before you even consider that some huge names will want to join this project.

Tchouameni this summer, Bellingham the next maybe?

4 Likes

If we end up with one of them then I’d be happy, both almost seems like cheating.

“On the radar” is quite the broad statement really. I imagine all the best young midfielders in the world are on our radar with varying degrees of interest in actually acquiring them. Given these two plus Gavi and Pedri are probably the best around and approaching that age bracket we just love to shop in I’d be amazed if they weren’t all on the radar.

It feels like we’re moving towards Klopp team 3.0. 1.0 was the mess he inherited, 2.0 was the CL and PL winning side and now we’re looking to his next side with Thiago, Diaz, Jota, Konate, Elliott et all replacing the likes of Lovren, Ox, Origi, Milner etc. Exciting times.

3 Likes

It would be nice to see a properly funded evolution of a squad managed by Jurgen Klopp. So far in his career it seems like he builds a squad, does well with it and then moves on.

Seeing him do a Wenger/Ferguson style “second” squad is pretty exciting.

6 Likes

Captain America Marvel GIF by Nerdist.com

3 Likes

I need a new young(ish) Portuguese CB to do well as I had nice hopes for Ilori when we signed him.

:see_no_evil:

1 Like

Regarding this; any player who chooses that shower over us at this point in time is only doing so for the money.

3 Likes

That and wanting to play under 4-5 different managers…

1 Like

And lacking any ambition

And not wanting to run like the very whip hand of Sauron is behind them.

1 Like

If a top young midfielder went to Man a Utd now over us, yes, the money would be a big factor, if they were paying him a king’s ransom (it’s not like we pay poorly, but they could perpetuate their stupidity in throwing wages around).

With that said, just playing devils advocate for a second…

Maybe Ten Hag gets in their ear and says we need to get Man Utd back where they belong. You are my key man in the midfield. We are getting rid of a, b, c, and you will be a main man in the new team we want to build. Season one, get us back to the CL. Here is who else we are signing, x, y, z. They will give you £150k per week. We will give you £250k. Sign a five year deal, if it is not working out at the three year marker, you can get on with your career at a CL club, with your prime years remaining.

Don’t get me wrong, if Tchouameni chose Man Utd I think it would be a poor choice, if we are in for him, but the pitch from Ten Hag would go something like that.

1 Like