The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

One down, as of tonight.

1 Like

Letā€™s imagine a world where we spend our budget on two expensive midfielders, say Bellingham and Kone.

Letā€™s say Kaide Gordon sees some action in the League Cup later in the season, but he still isnā€™t ready for first team football.

We might want to add another wide attacker to the group, especially in an age of five subs, but the options we look at are not affordable, due to the investment we make in the priority midfield area.

At that point Zaha on a free makes sense.

1 Like

Heā€™s not the kind of guy who will accept playing second fiddle.

Perfect fit for Newcastle.

Not that anyone is keeping count.

Oh and both Ox and Naby back in training this week?

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen a few links to Florentino LuĆ­s the Benfica defensive midfielder.

Him and Enzo Fernandez would be great aquisitions!

Anyone saw them play apart from maybe Benficaā€™s highlights in the CL?

Maybe, but he hasnā€™t won anything in his career. Youā€™d think at this point heā€™d want to challenge himself at a bigger club.

Newcastle does seem a likely destination for him though, thatā€™s a good shout. Theyā€™ll pay him for a fortune.

2 Likes

Uh oh, only 4 more to go.

I like Zaha but he is 30 next month and would want a decent wage and a longish contract. Even on a free itā€™s not worth it. Replacing an ageing Firmino with an ageing Zaha isnt the best idea either.

4 Likes

Signed his last contract at Palace in the summer of 2018, thatā€™s a long time ago. Obvious that he decided to run this down and give himself the best opportunity for a final go at a bigger club when heā€™s 30. I donā€™t think he will be an option for us, but he will obviously look at places on the left side of attacks at clubs in the PL. If something opens up. Or maybe go abroad, wouldnā€™t rule that out either. I think Roma were having a little look at him recently.

Iā€™d have the guy in a heartbeat. We have so many games to play and such frequent injuries that a PL proven goal scorer would never be a bad thing.

1 Like

I would definitely welcome him.

On a free.
As part of the group, likely a sub.
Not on a ridiculous wage.
No more than a three year contract.

If he likes us, and backs himself to succeed, then he can come and win a few trophies here before he hangs up his boots.

If he angles for money and status, and proves to have an inflated view of himself if we negotiate with him, heā€™s not for us.

Hunger. Humility. If we see that, then yes, there could be a place.

1 Like

No Zaha, not ever for me. Even if he was 22, no. A player like him puts even more stress on our midfield and defence - itā€™s a no and just to be extra clear, no, non, nein, nah, nee, oh-hee.

9 Likes

Thereā€™s a reason he never forced his way in at United or been poached from Palace since, and whether thatā€™s attitude or ability I donā€™t know, but at 30, I wouldnā€™t even bother on a free.

3 Likes

If we were talking 2-3 years ago then sure, thereā€™s no getting away that he is a fabulous playerā€¦comes with a bit of a reputation but that can sometimes be used to your advantage.

Weā€™ve got Jota and Diaz in now who both operate from the left and thereā€™s no need for him unless we planned to use him more on the right side.

He is a Blueshite type of player all day longā€¦

1 Like

Can I put you down for a maybe? :joy:

For me, Iā€™m not angling for it, more trying to understand it, if it should happen.

In all likelihood he will want money and more status than he would have here in our squad, at which point Newcastle will probably come into view.

Isnā€™t he injury prone?

Unless Klopp is bothered about him shagging Moyseyā€™s daughter, I donā€™t think that will exclude him this time.

1 Like

Ah, never heard that one.

But still, not interested at this point, Iā€™d probably have taken him at one time though.

1 Like