The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Yeah we’ve been garbage for several years now, get on with it Klopp.

Well not quite garbage, yet the same huge mistake has been made in the past 3? years. I’m talking about the CB debacle and now the repeated mistake with midfield. Definitely not Klopp, he has probably asked for reinforcements in both instances.

I get that you are being serious/sarcastic.

1 Like

I’m saying he built a team what he needs to do is keep it fresh and times he hasn’t.

Two different things. Evidently we aren’t a massive rebuild from the title challenge.

No team and I mean no team can expect to have done any better than us with a similar injury pattern. Now yes that’s probably why we should have sought more reliant players but it seems our number one target who went elsewhere has picked up one of these random long term injuries.

If Liverpool could pay 100m and then sparsely play the guy like Grealish great but we can’t.

We had two defenders out and two forwards out last week. How many players would you expect we need to make sure we have an option on the bench?

That’s why they are running the club and I give support and advice to students :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

The years when we’ve won the PL and came within a whisker of an unprecedented quadruple? Fuck me this forum will be the end of me

3 Likes

Yes you should totally ignore everything when you winning, it’s a perfect recipe for 30 years without a pl title, thankfully that’s never happened to us before. History loves to repeat mistakes.

1 Like

How good is this Mudryk kid from Shakhtar?

Very. There was skepticism in terms of whether they’d live up to potential and what their ceiling was, but both he and the lad from Napoli have been earmarked for a while as a throw back to the time when world class Ukrainian and Georgians made the soviet team a powerhouse.

7 Likes

It was only a matter of time before Mount was linked with us. I had a feeling his agent would use our club’s name to pressure Chelsea but he does strike me as a player would absolutely thrive under Klopp’s guidance - and he’s a fantastic talent anyway.

4 Likes

Fine player though Mount undoubtedly is, he plays in more or less the same position as Harvey and Curtis.

I’d rather stick with what we have.

6 Likes

No thank you to Mount, massively overrated.

Like the old git said, better off sticking to what we have.

Mount’s good and I’d take him here on a cut price deal in theory.

Problem Mount would have is similar to Jones, Carvalho and Elliot - doesn’t really have an ideal position in our set up. It’s already one too many players who are kind of in between two roles, not sure we need another.

1 Like

Mount is a pretty good player.

Position is still up in the air. He’s an attacking midfielder by nature, lately used either in that inside right channel (like Maddison), sort of the role Bruyne plays now… and sometimes the most advanced of the two #8’s.

Some will lazily imagine him in Thiago’s position, but we’re talking about two very different types of players. Mount will be 24 soon, so we’ll still see how he develops in his career.

We do have interesting talents in those positions but nobody is guaranteed a future here. So if the club evaluates that there are better options to replace them with better quality, I can see us doing it.

Style wise, it’s not exactly what I think we need. Ideally as things stand, I’d want two midfielders; a dynamic one and a more creative one, but more in the Thiago mould.

Mount’s quality and potential what can be done with him with more work certainly deserves at least interest and to think about him, but for now he’s still more of a between the lines player.

I like Mount a lot. I think he’d be more of a Gini in our team than any of the other mids we have (not a Jones/Harvey type for me). He doesn’t lose the ball, and can run all day and press very well. I’d be all for bringing him in. Not sure we will be able to do it though. Chelsea would want a prohibitive amount I think.

The stats say he loses the ball more than most other midfielders.

He’s a good talent but he hasn’t shown much to suggest he’d be a good disciplined number 8. He gets a nice roaming attacking role for Chelsea, he doesn’t have lots of defensive responsibility.

1 Like

It’s kind of surprising actually but based on the first 10 games of this season Mount is has a better defensive output than Henderson, while actually being worse offensively.

He’s averaging 2.7 shot creating actions per game, which is decent but kind of the baseline for an attacking midfielder. For context Declan Rice is registering 3.3, and De Bruyne 6.7 - obviously that’s a comparison against two players who are best on their teams while Mount is not but I think it’s fair to point out that his output has been mediocre. He’s only completing 77% of passes, which would be fine but he’s only getting 1.7 key passes per game and 3.3 progressive passes, which is solid but unspectacular. I wouldn’t expect his pass completion to be that low unless his key and progressive passes were significantly higher.

I have him as 156th on my list, slightly ahead of Philip Billing (although I suspect if I did these again then Billing would have overtaken him).

2 Likes

Always find it strange people look outside for press resistant midfielders when Jones is like insane at that…

4 Likes

Lol not that strange…

Jones isn’t going to hand over that skill if Mount gets bought. We are allowed to have more than one of them.

I think everyone thinks we could use another midfielder, and being press resistant while at the same time able to press the other team well seems like a good skill set to have for a Klopp team…

Although he gets dispossessed 1.34 times per game which only the 58th percentile and he completes less than 1 dribble per game. Combine that with his low pass completion percentage then he doesn’t seem particularly press resistant.

1 Like

I think Mount is a good player, but I’ve always got the impression he’s the kind of person who would fail the no knobheads test.

4 Likes

Hadn’t looked through any stats, just my impressions…that’s interesting. Thought it would be better. Still think he looks like a Klopp player, despite what stats say.

2 Likes