The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

I hope he never comes back …. To be a Liverpool manager.

I think with Diaz we already have.

1 Like

But Diaz plays mainly on the left.
We need a Diaz on the right (Antony?).

1 Like

That sounds like the beginning of a shit song.

For me the point is if Diaz is the Salah replacement but on the left, then Mané has to move to the right or the middle.

In which case you have:

Diaz - Jota/Bobby - Mané

or

Diaz - Mané - Someone else.

If you have Diaz and Mané then a new player on the right doesn’t have to be at the level of Salah from the get go, doesn’t have to be one of the best players in the world, so the options are much wider. They don’t have to score 20+ goals a season, they just have to contribute to the team winning as many points as possible. In the last month or so, with the performances of Diaz and Mané we have continued to win most games even with Salah often playing well below his usual standard and certainly not contributing directly with as many goals. It’s possible we may even be better off with a player who looks to assist more rather than trying to take on 3 players every time.

But to be fair, with £200m we could probably easily pay whatever West Ham are asking for Bowen and get a homegrown player who can score and assist or go for Antony, Gnabry, Raphina or gazump Spurs again for Kulusevski if only for the laughs.

For the record, I prefer we just keep Salah because he is ace.

2 Likes

:nauseated_face::face_vomiting:

2 Likes

The tweet in the twitter thread about us being interested in Darwin Nunez, as per Mel Reddy, was supposedly said on a podcast. Anyone heard it?

Doubt it’s even been said tbh.

3 Likes

I’d sure like to see a full season with Diaz, Mane, and Salah together. I’d not let something like a paltry 200 million ruin the fun.

I was in awe of his two performances against us and I immediately thought that it would have been a good idea to sign him as Firmino’s replacement but then I ran into some Twitter thread that outlined how poor a fit he would be in terms of stats (mainly defensively stats were an issue but also his conversion rate, if I remember correctly, and his allegedly poor fitness record prior to this season), which basically killed that idea for me on the spot.

Also, Mane then had his breakout period at centre forward, so if I could choose as nothing but a football layman, I’d choose Mane and Jota to vie for that centre forward spot and Firmino to be replaced by a wide forward of sorts.

2 Likes

I didn’t think much of him. Spent more time laying on the ground crying than a 3 month baby I thought.

1 Like

I got the impression he was more of a left sided forward whereas our need is for someone on the right

1 Like

Without him there will be no evolution in our squad.

I’m more inclined to trust the eye test than the twitter scouts. Granted, it was only two games, but he was top quality. If you read those twitter threads you’d think they were talking about Harry Maguire playing centre forward.

1 Like

Wonder if we see an offer for Mane or Salah from Real now, struggling to think of another player of the Mbappe level they can throw their cash at.

This is the rumoured Real offer which could be re-sent… Worrying

I think Salah goes to Real this summer.

Has Haaland really signed on the dotted line for City yet?

1 Like

Real already have Vinicius and Benzema too so a right sided player makes sense for them. Salah is the obvious choice, I expect to see the rumours starting soon.

If Salah wants to go hopefully we’ll fleece them for more than they paid for Hazard. Klopp would work more magic with that kind of cash.

4 Likes

Yep and Mo has a much higher chance of winning titles and the Ballon Dor playing for Madrid, rightly or wrongly.

1 Like

Waiting for Mbappe’s future to be confirmed, as there could be some knock on effects.

If Mo doesn’t sign a new deal here quickly I think something will turn his head this summer.

Again, I expect Salah to run down his contract, although I still hope he will extend but I’d much rather fleece Real Madrid than see him leave on a free in one year’s time. That said, I honestly don’t know which player would be able to replace him. Maybe Klopp does a Ferguson when C. Ronaldo left and buys a player who will boost the creativity and work rate on that flank (Valencia) in order to redistribute goals but mainly to centre forward (Rooney). For “Rooney”, read Mane/Jota, for “Valencia”… Saka perhaps? I can’t recall many young players impressing me more than him and Martinelli when it comes to this season.

1 Like