The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

If Mo left, I would put the money into two players - Antony and Darwin Nunez.

Taking into account Origi is leaving, probably Minamino too, that leaves us with:

Mane
Diaz
Jota
Nunez
Antony
Firmino
Carvalho

It’s a great group of strikers, and with five subs there’s more space to use them all.

In one more year Firmino might leave on a free, but we’d still have plenty of options.

We’re in a bit of a weak position with both of them.

Would not surprise me to see Real come in for Salah. Let’s not forget, they also chucked a huge sum at PSG last summer for Mbappe so clearly they have a few quid to spend and some serious space on their wage bill.

You’ve also got rumours of Bayern sniffing round Mane. With Lewa going there’s £300k a week that could go to Mane right away. I’m not sure he’s looking for a move as such but contract talks are very quiet and in another years time that kind of deal at a top club might not be there.

Can’t see us letting both go this summer. Also can’t see us being comfortable letting both go for nothing next summer. Fingers crossed for some positive contract news shortly after the CL final.

1 Like

Cue 1 week of Real trying to unsettle Salah before the final.

4 Likes

Exactly, they definitely will at least get a tabloid article out before the final, dig up past Mo comments about RM and then position them as if they were said yesterday. Maybe even Mane.

I don’t know who I’d buy but I know Klopp and co will have a plan.

Even without a new signing we have 4 really good forwards (ignoring Taki and Carvalho). I actually think Jota’s looked better on the right in his last few games and Firmino’s showing at Southampton gave us a glimpse of what we’ve been missing.

Signing Diaz has really taken the pressure off any player that comes in and will need to replace Mane or Salah. I was always confident Klopp could replace those two but now I’m very relaxed about the situation, we’re in a great position.

4 Likes

Cue, Salah plays a blinder against Real and we win the Old Big Ear :heart_eyes: :star_struck:

Not Real ly. Even without Mane (doubtful) or Salah we will still have good options and we will not be forced to splash the cash for any new attackers. On the other hand, we can demand a substantial fee or they can wait for another season to sign him for free.

From the Beeb article:

‘The link between this year’s Qatar World Cup and the Qatari owners of PSG is a clear one. The pressure from Qatar has gone to the political authorities in France and even French president Emmanuel Macron got involved in putting pressure on Mbappe to stay.’

Disgusting quite frankly. The money, all of it.

3 Likes

Both one year left so if they did want to go we’re not going to get what we would have done last summer. Both know that gives them leverage if they wanted to push for a move. Both appear no closer to signing a deal than this time last year. Both are likely targets for those teams looking for a big statement signing.

That is a weak position to be in.

As for going into next year without Salah and Mane and thinking we wouldn’t need to then splash the cash then, respectfully, you’re nuts. We’d need at least one wide attacker, especially seeing as we currently don’t even have a natural high end alternative to Salah as it is.

3 Likes

I don’t buy that, really. What’s in it for the French/Macron? Would bet on it more being a case of wanting to retain the biggest name in French football in the French leagues rather than let him go to the Spanish league.

3 Likes

We only let Salah go at the end, if we sell him we only end up getting fleeced by others. The position is Salah stays and winds down his contract or we buy first.

I don’t think as a club we need to sell him, if he goes for free he goes for free, we won’t be replacing Salah I’d rather keep him and run it down, I don’t think selling our stars benefits us as I said we’d just get fleeced anyhow. Our team will have a post Salah plan in place.

Well if Mbappe is not signing for us then the next best thing is him staying at PSG.
Its a bit strange because as we were led to believe, playing for Real Madrid was his dream… Well obviously not.
My dream is to play for Liverpool - I would play for free. However, in terms of a football career, if they were offering me a salary which Real Madrid were offering, against the ridiculous amount of money PSG are alleged to have offered it would be a no brainer. I sign for the team I have dreamed of playing for.

1 Like

There’s the first piece and it’s not just Mo…

3 Likes

Honestly if Madrid want to throw £100m+ at us for Salah I’m probably ok with accepting it. Diaz coming in takes pressure away and will let us go after a younger option as part of our squad overhaul that is quietly happening.

4 Likes

smug GIF

And now it begins….

2 Likes

Yeah, at some point it probably becomes the sensible thing to do, even though my stance is we should maximise what we can get out of this core group of players.

Say the club have a list of players they’ll want to go for if the timing is right… if one or two attackers on that list happen to be available this summer, and Real are willing to pay big for Salah, then maybe it’s the right move.

2 Likes

Just Google ‘Macron Mbappe’ and a raft of articles pop up. From one of them:

As news trickles through of last ditch attempts from Paris Saint-Germain to try and persuade Mbappe into signing a new contract, public pressure in France is also growing.

Speaking in a public press conference today, Emmanuel Macron has said he will do what he can to keep Mbappe in Paris.

“Unfortunately, you can’t speak about Kylian Mbappe going to OM. If he was willing to come I would have fought to make that happen… but he said ‘not so fast’ (laughing). So it’s better to fight for him to stay in Ligue 1 because he continues to be a great player.”

He may do, but he won’t get offered anywhere near what Mbappé was offered. I think the marketability of a 30yo with a few years left at the top shouldn’t be compared with a 23yo. And that will be reflected in any fees and wages.

I think the club need to be smart about this and call any bullshit out straight away.

I would potentially even be snide and hint that Real have such disreguard for the rules that you wouldn’t put it past them to try and bribe officials. Throw the spotlight onto the ref to ensure the game is called straight down the line.

2 Likes

I’m not disputing the actions, I’m disputing the suggestion that it had much to do with Qatar and the World Cup.

As I said, perhaps rather incoherently, I suspect Macron’s intervention was just to keep Mbappé, French football’s biggest name at the moment, within Ligue 1. Nothing to do with anything else.

2 Likes

Gerrard is also looking to strengthen at centre-back. Liverpool’s Joe Gomez has been discussed but there is now a sense that the England international will sign a new contract at Anfield.

I can’t recall any Liverpool-connected journo saying that Liverpool are in discussion with Gomez’ representatives over a new contract but still…