The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

We’re missing out on a lot of future world stars because our scouting network have no idea how to find talent in youth, so we end up with a bunch of duds like Yesil Solanke Van den Berg Ramsay Carvalho Elliott etc

Are you serious?

Anyhow imagine Twitter if we bought an Ecuadorian for 5m, that there is the issue with football fans today.

7 Likes

Samed Yesil was signed 11 years ago. Bit odd to blame our current scouting structure.

5 Likes

Name me 1 U21 player under Klopp the scouting team can take credit for bringing in successfully?

1 Like

You’ll just have to get used that the majority of them never make it properly at a club like Liverpool.

Of course, we can go into detail how well they’re working, but the reality remains at the moment that it’s hard to find some hidden gems that will suddenly push everyone and do a Trent or something. Things like that are rare, not only here.

Regardless how bad a season we’re having.

3 Likes

I disagree, shouldn’t be at all hard if you’re looking in the right places, hidden gems are everywhere…it’s for the scouting team to successfully identify those players. Our scouts seem to live at Craven Cottage because all they’re doing is picking out Fulham players.

We’ve not signed 1 prospect from South America or Africa…all our academy players are mostly terrible and have been for 10 years+

Why are we not looking at young players at Sporting, Villa, Ajax, Inter, Zagreb, Lyon etc…the clubs in Europe known for having the best youth system?

1 Like

Sometimes it’s not only us identifying them of beating off competition of other clubs, but players going in a different path in order to get more football. It’s a huge step sometimes. Of course it’s not the same to go to Liverpool and to Brighton. Or the likes of Salzburg, Leipzig, Dortmund, Lyon, Sevilla, Benfica, Porto, etc.

Even at Brighton, it’s not like their every find is a future Caicedo. They also have a number of youngsters/random purchases that never make it even there, but they naturally don’t get that attention.

That said, of course we can always do better, but it’s hard to judge our scouting from our position, we don’t know enough about that.

5 Likes

Ramsey has been there about 4 months. Maybe Caicedo can go to Brighton and make mistakes evidently Elliott and Carvalho don’t have that option considering you’ve already written them off.

It’s kind of why I worry about Bajectic because you know the first mistake and some will throw him under a bus.

15 Likes

You have to let them play to see if they can develop to that level. We don’t hear about all the rough performances, we only pay attention to the level they are at now and ignore the journey. Would you take us struggling a bit giving young kids a chance to save 50-60M? For a year? For two? Based on your previous comments about how we haven’t done enough I’d bet against it.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t bother giving any such arguments any credence unless they do it @Sweeting style with analysis of all the youth players at each club and the relative “success rate”.

Otherwise it’s just people going "but shiny new toy’! Ignoring all the other context around it.

2 Likes

Sorry, but this entire comment belies a massive lack of understanding of what you are talking about.

8 Likes

It’s not about saving money, if you want to compete for the biggest prizes you need to make big money signings regardless but whilst we were doing that the past 5 years our scouts were doing nothing to help our failing academy…We’ve brought through 1 successful u21 player through locally and none globally in the past 5 years.

Exactly. I mean where were our so called scouting team when Ronaldo went to PSV? Why weren’t they at the game when George Weah first played in Liberia? How come our scouts sign garbage like Ngog and Cheyrou. So frustrating to be a liverpool fan in this day and age.

To be fair he was the next Zidane.

He just didn’t live up to it, better than George Weah’s cousins.

2 Likes

Fan base would have gone into meltdown.

This line of argument starts to make sense if I assume you are Nic Cage and you think National Treasure was your biography

As for where our scouts were when Ronaldo signed for PSV? Probably in primary school.

1 Like

Yeah, because when engaging in a hobby, I don’t want to think I am further human misery.

2 Likes

Notwithstanding the fact that our fanbase would have lost its shit had we signed a lad direct from Ecuador for £5m, we can’t guarantee Moises Caicedo the pathway that that he has had at Brighton.

At Brighton he has been thrown straight into the first team, with little pressure from the off. At Liverpool he would have been under huge pressure, and likely not got the games he has got at Brighton.

At Liverpool the objective is get close to 100 points. There is no opportunity to take speculative punts on unknown kids from Ecuador.

4 Likes

That’s an interesting selection of ‘duds’.

In what way are Calvin Ramsey, Harvey Elliott or Fabio Carvalho ‘duds’.

Crying that we should have signed the unknown Moses Caicedo direct from Ecuador, while writing of three fantastic prospects within our own ranks shows the hypocrisy of our fans.

9 Likes

I don’t understand why the club don’t go into the game editor and look for all the players with a 20 ‘potential’ attribute. Piece of piss.

2 Likes