The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Because of his age and injuries he’s had or recent form?

It’s not like we wouldn’t have at least one backup for Virgil at LCB. Then of course, it would depend what is the quality, style, form of that player when he steps in for him when needed…

But our main CB is someone who, yes, will play most games.

1 Like

And a young guy who’s not good enough playing in a struggling team regardless in his favoured position or not, isn’t going to shine either.

Bajcetic has come in and done a much better job, and he’s played both #6 and #8…neither of which was his natural position coming through.

So you’re fine with other CBs switching sides and that not affecting them overly negatively but you’re concerned with it enough for virgil that you dont want us pursuing a left sided defender? Maybe Im misunderstanding what your reservation is, but im not reconciling the different bits you’re saying.

1 Like

But a position he has been coached at with the view to moving him there. Totally the same thing.

CB’s who are either backups/playing less (Gomez is certainly one, the other would be one of new guy/Konate) more used to changing sides is different to Virgil changing sides for the first time and more often. Some changes of sides you cannot avoid of course, how often do you have two strict RCB’s and two strict LCB’s.

I’m not saying Virgil at RCB and N’Dicka or whoever at LCB wouldn’t work, but that it’s not what I expected the club would do (we’re still in the unreliable thread though, even if it was Maddock) and yes it is interesting and different to what we did so far.

For 5 minutes?

He’s a young kid performing very well in a struggling side is he not…why do people always rush to makes excuses why someone else can’t? “Oh but Fab’s been shit”, “Hendo isn’t there to cover” , “Oh but I’m not playing in Mo’s position”…the manager’s trusted you to do a job where you’re playing so go and show to everyone the manager was right.

Again, playing in a different position that is quite different to his favoured position, which is very much not the case with Bajcetic. Moving from cb to cm is far easier than moving from a forward role to midfield. I need to be clear though that Bajcetic is doing superbly and I am not downgrading his impact.

As others have said you are quite vocal on Elliott and I believe you ignore the good parts to his game, or games he plates well.

I’m not interested in trying to change the mind of anyone, especially when it’s already been made up but to write off a young talented player at this stage of his career I believe is wrong.

1 Like

Elliott is doing fine. He is a young player making his way. He has been playing quite a lot in the side this season, which is impressive for a 19 year old. We have to recognize how difficult it is to get into a side like Liverpool for any player, never mind a young player, but Elliott has been doing that.

Fast forward to next season, and let’s assume we sign two key midfield additions who will play more often than not. It is possible that Elliott might be more of a squad man at that point. Or then again, maybe he kicks on further as a player and it is difficult to leave him out of the side. It’s impossible to say what will happen.

Either way, the modest sub 4M investment has been money well spent.

If we fast forward 3-4 years to the time when he is more fully developed as a player, I can’t imagine his level will turn out to be less than a squad man for us. The upside might well be far greater.

And as we see what becomes of him, let’s support him!

2 Likes

I’m vocal on all the players.

Not true and if you cared enough (I’ll assume you don’t) all is there for you to see in the Harvey Elliott thread with a few clicks…I’ve given praise and criticised in equal measure…suggesting he could do with another loan move isn’t “battering” the lad.

Let’s not forget he also lost the more than half a season with a serious injury and a crucial time in his development just after breaking into the side.

I’ve been critical of him at times but he’s been better than most of our midfielders this season. And even if he goes on to be a squad player, well that’s fine too. We need a squad, we need home-grown players and he’ll be fine against most of the teams we play. United won endless trophies with the likes of Butt, Brown, Phil Neville and O’Shea in their squads.

There’s not many 19/20 year old lads who are lynchpins in their teams midfield and whilst Elliott is far from that yet he already more than just a promising kid.

2 Likes

He’s appeared in every league and champions league game this season. Even in a season when things are not going well for the side for a 19 year old to achieve that statistic indicates a major talent and a high level of belief in him from the management. I think a lot of people would do well to spend more time trying to reconcile that reality with what they are not seeing than they would be from just continuing to complain about his performances.

9 Likes

So, basically, what the last thirty posts are saying is, there are no unreliable rumours at the moment.
Is that right?

He’s also off the charts good offensively. Just needs to find his spot in the team, and improve his defensive side a bit.

What’s his natural position?

Basically just let The-AllMightyReds spout his nonsense. Why bother engaging? I mean let’s face it, lack of talent isn’t what’s holding Curtis Jones back.

My concern is ensuring he avoids 6 week spells out with muscle injuries. Not getting younger, captain of the Netherlands so even more games.

Gives more of a chance to rest him, even if only 3-4 times a season, when you have a back up left footed CB, particualrly when you have none in the squad. Also allows us to open things up along the left flank having a left footed CB - all available for free.

If the discussion was about a big transfer fee, then id rather Gvardiol i think.

Yeah, free is the key word, obviously if he is good enough. That would allow more freedom to deal with the midfield issues.

You have battering in quotation marks. I didn’t mention that word. You’re using a word I didn’t use to prove yourself right. Fair play, that’s a new one for me.

1 Like

No no. He’s out of his depth. What would the coaching set up know. They’re a bunch of charlatans.

2 Likes

Oh there are a few rumours, it’s just at least one person has a problem with each one.

Bellingham - played too much football already, pass.
Ndicka - is wrong footed and too prone to innuendo, no thanks.
Mount - plays midfield but the wrong type of midfield, see ya.
Enzo Le Fée - not really rumoured but doesn’t stop him being either too small or entirely risk free. Can’t be discussed without slagging off Elliott and/or Jones.
Gabri Veiga/Kim Min-jae - no one knows enough to argue either way.
Rhys Williams - no one cares enough to argue either way.

Basically your classic international window chat.

2 Likes