The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

I wouldn’t either! I’d rather he stayed his final year and left on a Bosman.

Still, in the summer, if that’s the choice - Barca for 50M or wind down deal here, I could see the club doing it, especially if Mo decided he wanted off.

Personally I don’t think Barcelona have the dough, and they are a long way short of what they were, so Mo would be mad to go there. He already has a much better situation here.

The main point in all this though is that if he doesn’t sign a new deal, our leverage is significantly reduced, while his increases.

If I were a betting man, I would say PSG, if he doesn’t sign here. If Mbappe leaves they will want to make some sort of statement.

We wouldn’t sell for £50m. Keeping him in the last year of his contract allows another 12 months to discuss an extension.

7 Likes

Liverpool will know his trajectory through stats, I don’t think they would entertain 50m at all. If it’s close to 100m I think they will think about it but not 50m.

I do think he goes on a Bosman at this rate if that’s the amount being put out there.

A different scenario because of his age and stature but didn’t PSG reject something like 140 million pounds (or euros?) from Real Madrid for Mbappe in the final days of last winter transfer window, when he only had six months left on his contract? If Salah continues his pre-AFCON form until the end of the season, the club will be able to command a nine figure sum from any club that would like to sign him this summer. Otherwise, he’ll be kept for another year and allowed to leave on a free.

Lots of reporting that they made it knowing PSG would reject them, thus allowing Real to show intent to their fans (and Mbappe) and quietly get satisfaction from pissing off PSG at a time when they were pushing Mbappe to sign an extension. They key was there was not yet an acceptance from the PSG brass that they would be forced to part with him, and it wasn’t through a lack of willingness to pay him whatever he wanted that was standing in the way of getting the deal signed. I think that is sufficiently different with Mo to ignore these figures as any sort of comparison for what we might expect to receive this summer.

3 Likes

Jurgen Klopp: “I watched the City game for exactly 65 minutes for analysis reasons, believe it or not.”

5 Likes

Or maybe he knew the game was going to shit when Ayew came on…?

Klopp actually likes Ayew.

:joy:

1 Like

Why the hell would he want to go to Barca in their current state?

2 Likes

I completely agree with you, I would be very surprised if he went there. I think I said that he already has it better here.

I hope he stays. He is world class and a very reliable scorer of goals. But if he won’t sign a new deal then he will either wind it down and go on a Bosman, or depart this summer.

The longer it goes the more leverage the player has and the less leverage the club has. Still, I’m chilled about the whole thing. We are really well run and will come out of it fine, no matter what happens with Mo.

Nobody is bigger than the club.

5 Likes

If Mo goes anywhere, it’s gotta be PSG, right?

Mo is a hero in the Muslim world, and the Qatari ownership there would shit themselves to get him, especially if Mbappe is off. They can pay him the wages his agent wants, and wouldn’t sniff at £100M+ to get him.

If it is PSG, I’m really interested how it looks tactically.

With Messi and Neymar, a more direct player makes a lot more sense (and one to replace Mbappe) rather than another creator who comes towards the ball, which Salah of course is.

But somehow I doubt Salah would play up top as the single striker. Maybe they’d move Messi centrally? Is it even a good solution? Who is their manager next season? They’d also all be in their 30’s?

Although PSG are not really known for always making moves that make incredible sense. Or that the manager doesn’t necessarily have a strong say around what happens. The rhetoric from the club would probably be “here’s Mo, find a way how to make it work on the pitch and win all trophies”.

There are not 10 clubs he’d go to, but even with PSG, even if it makes sense (a star our and a star in), I’d still have certain doubts.

1 Like

Will Messi even be at PSG? I always presumed he’d be planning to engineer a move back to Barca…

1 Like

According to Gerard Romero we’ve offered a contract to Gavi.

Romero has apparently become more reliable for Barca news over the past year or two. Would be nice if hes right on this one, Gavi is a very talented young midfielder.

3 Likes

So have Arsenal and Man Utd

Yeah, but if you had a choice between a lovely plate of German Currywurst, an Arsenal shaped pile of shit, or a Utd shaped pile of shit, you’d choose Papa Jurg’s Authentic Currywurst for your dinner.

2 Likes

His release clause is a tad too high though especially for a 17 year old. Barca seemingly has a good supply of youngsters but I’d hold off on rating them considering the La Liga is weaker now than what it was some 3 years or so back.

1 Like

Havent read the article.

1 Like

I think that Romano and Sky Italia broke the news that Milan are looking to sign Origi on a free. Not sure that’s a match made in heaven but I can’t begrudge him such a move.

2 Likes