The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

So in terms of weaknesses in our squad, I’d say the following:

1. Midfield - We have seen late in this season that we need another option here. Thiago, Henderson and Milly are all in their 30’s and we can’t rely on them to be constantly fit and healthy. Jones and Elliott are still working their way into the first team but I think we need a different playing option to them. Tchouameni seems like a similar player to Thiago statistically so even if he goes to RM, I think this will be the style of player we are after. With Carvalho here next season I wouldn’t rule us out of playing an AM with a double pivot against the right opposition, and having 4-5 options for those 2 defensive midfield positions would be handy.

2. RB - This is a tough one to fill to be honest. Unlike on the left where it was easier to find a player that was similar in ability to Robbo, Trent is probably the world’s best RB. Do we push the boat out and find a player that is just below his level and can deputize for him, or do we stick with Gomez? Trent has played a lot of football in the most demanding position in our team, and although Gomez did admirably when he got his opportunities, I think that drop off to him is the reason Klopp didn’t rest Trent as much. Its going to be difficult position to fill given our style of play. Is Neco even in our thinking any more? Probably not in the immediate future given our need for cover in that position and him still being sent on loan.

3. Forward - Salah will probably be leaving. We don’t always go out and replace a player straight away and perhaps the Diaz signing was in preparation for this. Will Bobby stick around? Mane? Lots of question marks about the forwards with their contracts winding down. In any case, even with Carvalho coming in (god knows where he will be playing but I’m interested to find out) I think we potentially will bring in another forward. I think its important to keep in mind we have been able to keep a threadbare forward squad simply because of how fit and injury free Salah has been during his time at Liverpool. I he goes, we may need 2 players to take his minutes initially until everyone is settled in.

I hope we keep as many forwards as possible as I think LFC cope much better without squad upheaval. Minimal changes please.

Not sure about that, he’s much more Fabinho/Henderson than Thiago. Which is ideal as Elliot is showing all the promise that he can provide the type of creativity and control Thiago does.

2 Likes

Just below Trent’s level is still world class. And no world class RB is going to come and sit on the bench for 95% of the season. I say stick with Gomez. He was great in the couple of games he deputised. Even pinging some lovely crosses in

6 Likes

and Liverpool offered me a 120k starting salary.

1 Like

Yeah you are right. I just looked at the statsbomb radars for him and they are closer to Henderson than Thiago (BM days). I think I read Fabrizio say he’s similar statistically to Thiago and took it at face value.

1 Like

But it doesn’t bother you that Gomez hasn’t been injured all season but has only had 3 90 minute games (and 1 45min) at RB? If Klopp only discovered that Gomez was a good option there late in the season then he might have a chance of sharing more responsibility with Trent next season.

And for that to happen he will need to play less like a CB and more like Trent if we don’t want to become dysfunctional - keeping in mind much of our attacking comes down the wings. In his games he was reluctant to create the overlaps when they were on. These are the sorts of things I would like to see in his game if he genuinely is going to deputise there. He needs to start thinking much more like an attacker.

1 Like

Hasn’t been injured all season? :thinking:

Looking at the right back discussion, SVDB is another who will probably be tried out there in pre-season. He’s been playing there, as well as at RCB, with Preston and their fans all love him. The consensus on the PNE forums is that he’s already Premier League level.

2 Likes

Trying to replicate what Trent does on the ball is kind of pointless, I think. Rather than looking for that, we can compensate in other ways i.e. the type of midfielder we use there. I think Gomez has been perfectly fine at full back; play a creative midfielder on that side to balance things out, when the full back is more defender and off-ball runner than creator.

2 Likes

If that bloke is right about Mane then 50m euros haha sorry but no. Maybe that’s what Bayern believe I doubt we’d even consider it.

Probably go silent next week, seems to be his expertise Bayern and transfermrkt website which is a little odd of combination.

1 Like

Not seeing Sadio leave and especially to Bayern (hope not) and definitely €50m sound far off but

we signed Thiago from Bayern when he was one year younger than Sadio is now with one year left on his contract for I believe €25m.

Different players but can’t really say which one is the ‘better’ one. Thiago definitely more decorated.

1 Like

With Salah in a similar situation I just don’t see us shifting him for that, I assume that’s what Bayern will submit but we are open to winding down contracts and it wouldn’t surprise me if we wind down one if they don’t sign or even both.

2 Likes

Think we loaned him out because he wanted more game time?

No one in the world can do what Trent does. Doesn’t make us dysfunctional by having a 2nd choice that can bring something different to the team

Isn’t it pretty much nailed on that Ramsey the young Scottish right back is coming in to backup Trent as Neco wants out due to playing time.
I really hope SVDB is given a proper chance here in pre- season too , probably not at right back but he’s been excellent at Preston this season.

1 Like

That seems to be the suggestion and it makes sense really.

Neco is good enough to be playing at a lower Premier League level week in week out but is never going to seriously be pushing Trent at the moment. Ramsey comes in as someone with potential but not the same playing expectations as Neco and Gomez can play there if needs be whilst Ramsey gets up to speed.

An establish starter, a project player and a player who can cover if needs be. And we make upwards of £10m net on the sale of Neco and the purchase of Ramsey.

2 Likes

It’s interesting as well to note that Conor Bradley has been the only U18 player - outside of Kaide Gordon - to spend most of his time playing in the higher age group. Ramsey would give us two players roughly the same age, same position and both highly rated.

7 Likes

And nominated for Premier League 2 Player of the Season

3 Likes

Yeah it’s hard to imagine that Bradley wouldn’t light up the Scottish league to be honest.

He is Ginix2