The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

I personally think he’s not that good. I’m also not mad keen on signing a lad who is 5’8” to play midfield. But if Klopp and the recruitment team like him, I’m in no position to argue. They know better than me.

My anger would be why we didn’t get him a year ago when he was available at a knock down fee. It would feel mad to not sign anyone in midfield, have a season where the midfield is brutally exposed, and then go and get a lad we could have just signed anyway. It would be, like, what was the fucking point?

Let me screenshot this and come back to you on 1st Sept regarding the fee.

I’m not sure even you know what comes next in your analogy.

There are so many midfield options out there which means the likes of Tielemans is agent talk.

K.Thuram
Caicedo
Mac Allister
Kone
J.Ramsey
Mount
Rice
Barella
Ugarte
F.Luis
Nunes
Lavia
Sangare
Alvarez
Neves
Sucic
Szoboszlai
Veiga

And thats what my very limited knowledge have picked up.

3 Likes

Let me carry on my analogy. So you go back and think about it, thinking, “that mofo is asking for the sky” and the next day, someone gazumps it for 120K .

It happens in real life that some people are willing to pay a premium to get something faster than the others.

1 Like

Gini was 5’8" (and a half)! All about how they use their body rather than the height but I do get the point we can’t have an entire midfield of midgets.

You do that. It will be water off a ducks back. I’m not doing this to win a who is right competition. If you start throwing around months old screenshots in a ‘look I was right’ fit of attention-seeking only one of us is going to look like a prick.

I just think that all the noise around Mount suggests that it’s pretty close. I might be wrong. I said the same thing about Bellingham, and that up in the air again.

3 Likes

Fair to say, our transfer planning for the midfield hasn’t made sense for a few years running, yes?

1 Like

How desperate would you be for a midfield of prime Xavi Iniesta and Modric right now?

1 Like

It is kinda unfair using that…Try using prime gerrard, Mascherano and Alonso?

1 Like

For the sake of accuracy its worth mentioning that Tielemans is listed as 5’9" and a half not 5’8".

Mason Mount is listed as 5’8" and a half.

Well, I am not doing this to do a " who is right" pissing contest. All I am saying, don’t count the chickens before they hatch. It is a mad world out there in the transfer market and there are mad people to take that price.

I’m told that extra half an inch makes a difference.

2 Likes

Depending on which body part you are referring to!

Its how you use it that counts, apparently.

1 Like

My point on his height, and it’s the same for who ever you care to list, if that we can’t carry too many of them. Elliott is 5’8” as well. Assuming we do sign Mount - which seems likely (5’9” and a half by the way) we need to be adding height to midfield.

PS. Tielemans is 5’7” and a half according to Transfermarkt.

Height might be more important for the defensive midfielder or single pivot role (if we’re even going for one this summer). Even if, you could see us theoretically aim someone like Caicedo, who is I think about 8cm’s shorter than Fabinho. As for the #8 spots, I don’t think height will be high on the list of priorities. More about energy, quality on the ball, ability to cover ground both offensively and defensively. That could be someone shorter like Mac Allister or someone taller like Gravenberch. Just throwing names, out of the ones that have been mentioned.

1 Like

I don’t even want Tielemans but to be honest he wipes the floor with Mount in every category statistically.

Including this one (Tielemans is the top one)…

Screenshot_20230413_052312_Chrome~2

1 Like

Possibly also due to the fact that they play in different zones.

One of them plays in midfield and the other one pretends to.