The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

So based on the three midfield types in the article above and looking at prices quoted I think this could be doable with £100m.

Box to box - Kone
Between the boxes - Sangare
Screener - Thuram

2 Likes

No he’s simply lazy and not good enough. Watch the man play and you’ll see. Lazy does t mean not talented. It simply means lazy.

Florentino Luís? He looks more of a Makélélé type than an hyperactive, rough and tumble Ugarte. Composed, intelligent, très sophistiqué and all of that, though he’s still a worker and he can put in some fucking nasty challenges when necessary also.

I think he’d be a terrific fit for our midfield, but he signed an extension a couple months ago, and his release clause is closer to Enzo’s. Ugarte’s is apparently ca. 50mil. (GBP).

It’s really impressive the way Benfica have been able to adapt to losing key players window after window.

I have watched him, he isn’t lazy.

Then why does he win more tackles, interceptions, aerial duals and ball recoveries than the “pressing machine” Mason Mount?

That math ain’t mathing.

1 Like

It’s what they do. Always a move or two in advance. For a few years I thought these big Portuguese clubs dropped a little, but lately they’ve shown good stuff again. In terms of football, playing style, results, players imported/exported, managers also (though the last one isn’t that new).

1 Like

Living in a place surrounded by Leicester City fans I can tell you that is very much the opinion they have of him. And whilst pundits and pros can fall back on lazy cliches, the fact so many have that opinion of him is somewhat telling. Out of possession he puts in far less effort than when his team is going forward and both aspects have tanked since he didn’t get they big move he was hoping for.

Maybe he isn’t lazy but the fact his effort level is so different depending on which way he’s facing is a huge warning sign. He’s the polar opposite of what we’re in need of right now.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone is arguing that they actually want us to sign Tielemans. Its funny though that the stats don’t support the perception, especially when compared to Mason Mount and his percieved work ethic that results in way fewer defensive actions per 90 than the lazy Tielemans.

We should just aim higher honestly. If Tielemans was brought in as an after thought having already secured two better players for CM then I’m for it.

1 Like

Maybe because Mount plays higher up the pitch? I don’t know, but I am always left frustrated and uninspired when I watch Tielmans play and I am a LFC supporter.

I think this is not the unreliable rumours thread, this is just the unreliable thread.

You have hit the nail on the head. He does indeed play further forward, despite Chsea trying to crowbar him in CM plenty of times.

He can’t play CM and signing him to do so would be a terrible idea.

Tielemans wouldn’t be a great signing, he’d be a hell of a lot better than a tweener like Mount.

2 Likes

Just make up a name and imagine we are linked with them. Its what James Pearce does.

He is terrible at tracking back and tracking runners, that for me is a lazy player. Lazy or not, a player I’d swerve.

I know Liverpool fans who thought Moreno was a good left back and Thiago a poor central midfielder. So what?

“People making the same continued mistake that they believe the epitome of professionalism Youri Tielemans can’t be arsed, but confused by his lethargic style of play. He’s class in comparison to the alternatives and we miss him greatly”

1 Like

Doesn’t matter, he won’t be coming here anyway. And if he does whoever signs that off needs sacking.

If he was going to cost £40m no one would thinking it’s a good idea. Tells you everything you need to know.

Some wild statements here today.

For me, Tiemelemans is not rubbish and not lazy. Not great either, that top clubs will bleed between themselves to get his signature. A good player who you would normally at least think about if he’s available on a free. Like Mount if he’s in the final year of his deal. Does Tielemans have the elements and ceiling we need is another thing. Would he be our 2nd or 3rd midfield signing, who knows, would depend also who is the other player or two. It is possible that his name is popping out more after the Bellingham info.

Whereas Tielemans is a natural #8 (who at the odd occasion did do a job as the single #10), Mount is a natural #10, who was sometimes used as one of the two advanced #8’s. We might have an idea to convert him more permanently deeper, maybe do a Lallana with him. It’s a possibility that Mount does it in his own way and proves certain people right or wrong. I’d rather avoid, but if the club does it, I have nothing else other than give the team and the player a chance to show if it can work.

Back to always finding faults in players are we? In the position we find ourselves in that’s a cheap lowball.

The guy has an abundance of quality on the ball and can do various things none of our midfielders possess such as scoring from range…he’s also missed about 10 games in 4.5 years there. “he’s downed tools” - you can’t come to that point of view unless you watch Leicester week in week out I’m assuming you don’t…Rodgers continues to select him and speak highly of him…as do their fans from FoxesTalk at least. We shouldn’t be turning our nose at him as an option on a free especially when all the talk here being because he doesn’t sprint around like a mad man for 90 minutes.

Height, or at least height as a surrogate for strength in the air, was absolutely a significant part of the value that was identified in Fabs. When we press high one of the escapes is simply to bypass it with a longer ball pumped up the line. Fab’s typical position was to be able to challenge for that ball and so without having someone who can reliably win those balls pressing high turns into a path to to hurt us pretty easily.

The past 18 months we’ve clearly had an evolution of our shape. Not constantly, but is putting players in different areas of the pitch and so I wonder if moving forward that trait will be as important for whomever is identified to challenge or replace him.

1 Like

Yeah, I said a few posts above that height might be important for the single pivot defensive midfield role (as it is for CB’s). But height alone doesn’t mean a player is better in the air or that a shorter player than Fabinho (maybe a Caicedo) wouldn’t be able to give us what’s required. It remains to be seen if we even go or get such a player, which might be linked to if we even get an offer to offload Fabinho. Other than that, if we get a new #6, other players who can do a job there (Hendo and Bajcetic) + the rest, we are fine and height really isn’t high on our priorities.

1 Like

Aye, it’s a situation where positioning is as important as height, and that was something Lucas was very good at despite not being tall.

1 Like