The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

I think if end up with a midfield of players who are sub 5’9” it can be a bit of a problem. Not just in terms of midfield, but simple things lije defending set pieces.

If we want to move on from players like Fabinho and Hendo, we have got think about how we replace their physical stature.

Height doesn’t necessarily make someone good in the air, a prime example is Thiago who is a very good header of the ball to the extent when he does have time with a header he actually looks to pass to a team mate. On the other side is Crouchy, for all his height he was probably better on the floor than in the air.

2 Likes

one of the only ones who are able to do that, too. frustrating to watch sometimes as you really do wish these balls would drop at a teammates feet… more often than not, they don’t.

1 Like

His timing, leap and heading technique is fantastic.

Remember him coming on off the bench against Newcastle in his first season, first game after that big injury. Won almost every header in a row. Sharp, clean. Beautiful to watch.

I even like the fact that he goes for them almost every time. These days you can see players shy away from them, and even defenders.

3 Likes

I do say this as a 5’7" player who has dominated 6’ players in the air, but I have did also play both basketball and volleyball so timing was good and similar to Thiago still win headers and pass to my teammates… just a pity I am nowhere near him with the two things that matter, my feet :blush:

You love to blow your own trumpet don’t you?

2 Likes

I sure do, LOL.

Nope as I was also self condescending but maybe I have done things in sport all my life.

The area where height is an advantage is when stationary, just relying on a standing jump, rather than changing forward momentum into a jumping motion and timing it.

Trying saying these things out loud before writing them.

Just put me on ignore

you’ll never get any power on a header from a standing position.

2 Likes

Its not just the power if someone is tall they beat us shorty’s if we are just jumping vertically compared to a short run and jump

Or equally developed especially expensive tastes and now knows just on what he’d spend the extra 5m euros.

Interesting if I was a young player at his level with no connection to the clubs and wanted titles you’d go City.

If I was a player who was a slightly lower level and had to break through I’d choose Liverpool.

1 Like

Compared to Bellingham, Declan Rice might be more “affordable”. He technically has 2 more years as West Ham has a year option on him. If they do badly this season which looks likely after a pretty good season last year, Rice would likely want to move and will attract attention. He might be in a position to request West Ham to be realistic about asking price to be below 100m. Then it boils down to what Rice sees as the next important step in his career considering he is 24. He will have no lack of suitors but he thinks we are the best for him, then I think we can get him for the level we paid for Nunez, bar the fee components.

And I have always said since Salah signed an extension that it’s not only just to get an extra year as we knew Mane wants to leave but at the same time, to protect some of his value. Despite an underwhelming season, he still scored 24 assisted 11, would have been lauded if not for his usual high standards. I think there will be interests for at least around the 80m level and the usual suspects would be PSG. He might stay of course but I think with the contract extension, we are more than willing to entertain a high bid.

Was more the person linking us to him! Thuram has somewhere near the potential of Bellingham.

Sad Sucic got his knee injury, he’d be a really good prospect and has a low clause.

1 Like

Sucic is a nice prospect, but I don’t see how he would help us solve our needs in midfield right now. We need someone stylistically different and more proven than him. We have enough of these young, fancy midfielders. Regardless who’s talent and ceiling is higher. If it was a summer when everything is fine more or less and we can put some money into a new prospect like him, then maybe. But now, it’s critical and we have to put every penny into a few transfers that really make sense.

I think we need 3 midfielders, 2 to come in as starters and 1 as a prospect.

We need a no.6 starter (Fabinho replacement), a right sided no.8 as a starter (Hendo replacement) and a flexible midfielder prospect who eventually takes over from Thiago who remains as a starter when fit, rotating with Jones on the left side of the midfield.