The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

He could have done. The footballing talent of Messi, the mentality and application of a particularly stupid sloth with sunstroke.

I think Charles Itandje deserves a mention, after his shenanigans during a Hillsborough memorial service.

4 Likes

Ah I forgot anyone can buy a blue tick nowadays

Cisse always seemed to me to be Houllier’s preparation for replacing Owen. Maybe he would have been more effective had Houllier been able to keep it together, but before he played his first game Rafa was in and all off a sudden the role that had been bought for was gone. The requirements for everyone were more complex under Rafa than Houllier, but probably no more so than for a forward, especially one who had been earmarked for such a tactically simple role

3 Likes

Maybe. If it was down to Rafa before that summer of 2004, I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t have signed Cisse, very possibly kept Heskey and signed a different striker for the departing Owen (who I think was already gone in his head). But still, I think Cisse as a player isolated and what he did for us, what was announced from/around him and what he did, didn’t really live up to it. Still had a nice career, considering what he’s been through. Scored goals a little bit everywhere, though Italy was tougher for him (as for many forwards, not only him).

3 Likes

Cisse was fine for us imo, I think he was slightly built up that summer (I think he was among the first Youtube compilations I’d really watched) and wasn’t quite as good as the hype had suggested. But he seemed like a fun guy, and he did score a decent, if not spectacular, number of goals.

2 Likes

Hmm…well I suppose I don’t have any reason to think he’d be lying, especially the quote where the owners wanted him to turn a £16m player into a £50m one, that certainly doesn’t come as a surprise to me.

But on the flip side he talks about needing a player up top who could press…then 12 months later signs Benteke.

1 Like

Oh for sure. I respect how hard he battled to make it work here and always seemed like someone who gave his all no matter what he was asked to do, but definitely didnt live up to expectations. My point was the transition from the manager to pursued him to the manager he got to play under was one of those sliding doors moments that cause the success a player has at a club to be dictated by far more than his talent and professionalism.

Plays firmino as a RB

I think the phrase “transfer committee” at the time would be what’s known as trending.

:exploding_head:

I never understood why he got rid of Ballotelli and was allowed to bring in Benteke - they were the same player.

Didnt Cisse hit 18 goals in Rafas 2nd season? I liked him he was a bit erratic but did OK.
He makes Nunez look like Ian Rush!

I dont understand the point being made in that. Im struggling today :face_holding_back_tears:

I don’t think you’re the only 1.

19 goals and 4 assists in 54 games in 05/06.

That was a long season because we had 3 rounds of CL qualifiers, the EU Super Cup, the Club World Cup, etc. 9 of those goals and 1 assist came in the league.

Played a good number of games off the right in that season (that was already an indication that he wasn’t really going to have a future as a striker with us). Near the end of the season, he hit a good patch of form, as he was motivated to go to WC06 with France.

Crouch and Morientes was our most go to combination up top that season, but Cisse’s form near the end and West Ham’s lack of pace in defence pushed Morientes to the bench from the start.

1 Like

How close are we until a player rumour thread gets opened for the likes of Thuram?

1 Like

Once we’ve had confirmation they’ve liked a post from Indykaila of himself posing in a Liverpool kit.

1 Like

We probably need a journalist from the UK linking it.

2 Likes

Chiesa being linked - just don’t see us going for an attacker this window! Our name being used type situation

1 Like