The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1673268652437565441?cxt=HHwWgsCzpau-0rguAAAA

Watched his youtube compilations. Looks awesome as most do but this guy looks very talented and looks like real deal. Wont mind us signing him and loaning him out for a season.

Arsenal are ā€œworking onā€ a number of deals at the same time, it seems. Havertz, Rice, Timber, Lavia, who elseā€¦

2 Likes

Will cost more than 60 million atleast. I would rather take two among Veiga/Thuram/Kone for that money.

2 Likes

Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubbsā€¦ :rofl:

5 Likes

Let it happen bass player. Now thereā€™s a niche one, any takers?

1 Like

Donā€™t really think Lavia is the right option for us. Heā€™s less than a year older than Bajcetic and whilst he has more playing time that Bajcetic itā€™s still only one season at the top level.

If we want someone to really challenge Fabinho and put some pressure on his place than I think Lavia is still pretty raw and inexperienced for that. And if weā€™re willing to take a chance on someone who is still a bit raw then why wouldnā€™t you let Bajectic be that option given we trusted him with opportunities last season and he didnā€™t disappoint.

Itā€™d block some of Stefanā€™s development and game time and should we look to move on Fabinho next summer say, then weā€™d be left with two pretty young players still finding their feet.

If weā€™re working with a more limited budget why spend some of that on someone who doesnā€™t have the experience to be the player that allows us to confidently move Fabinho on this summer or next.

Makes no sense to me.

1 Like

Caicedo. Wonder where he will actually end up? I can see him being priced out of a move to be honest.

I can tell you where he wonā€™t be ending up.

Has shown he can perform in PL though, whereas thereā€™s still that risk attached with the others you mention

I think Chelsea have the most chances for him now. They have the money and are a little bit light in CM (especially if more players like Gallagher and Loftus-Cheek leave). Could form a good partnership alongside Fernandez in a double-pivot.

Heā€™ll end up at CFC, no doubt. Itā€™s a pity we canā€™t land him.

Over the Ā£35m bracketā€¦ :laughing:

Stylistically it looks very good and makes sense for Chelsea on every level. Itā€™s difficult to see how it doesnt happen unless for whatever reason he doesnt want it.

1 Like

Lots of permutations, and itā€™s difficult to know how we should prioritize if we donā€™t know the budget.

But Iā€™m on board with the view that itā€™s not worth using a chunk of the budget (unless we are loaded and we donā€™t know it) on a player like Lavia, with Bajcetic coming through.

Letā€™s imagine we spend our midfield money on Thuram and say, Veiga. Box to box and attacking options are sorted. What about the defensive side of the midfield? (Notwithstanding for all we know Thuram will be molded to be that player, but Iā€™m assuming he is more of a box to box man).

So people who could do the defensive midfield role would be: Fabinho, Henderson, Bajcetic.

Young Stefan came in last season and didnā€™t look out of place at all. In fact, he looked better than most of his teammates, which was incredible for such a young player. I get that when you introduce a young player to the side there will probably be dips, as they continue their overall progression. And thatā€™s why there is still a bit part role for Fabinho and Henderson. They arenā€™t able to carry it for a season, those days are gone. But between them, along with Bajcetic, they can cover one defensive midfielder spot while an assortment of athletes do their thing in front of them. And in time Bajcetic takes hold of the shirt.

I would be quite fine with that.

Also, it was mentioned above that Saudi might be in for Thiago. Obviously itā€™s not a reliable source, but since itā€™s the unreliable rumours thread, I would do that deal all day long.

Two reasons:

First, injuries. Thiago is an imperious player. So good on the ball. We all know that. But we also know that increasingly we canā€™t get him onto the pitch. So it opens up the willingness for a parting of the ways.

Second, a new team is emerging. Thiago is a playmaker. When he is on the pitch, a lot of the play goes through him. However, Trent is now becoming that man, to my eye. The team we are becoming sees Trent on the ball as much as possible, as his eye for a pass, and ability to deliver it, is a devastating combo. Next season I fully expect Trent to break assist records and come to be regarded as the best playmaker in the world, or at least in that conversation.

So I would be fine if Thiago were to leave. With our thanks, and on good terms, as we all know his quality and professionalism.

He may prefer to see out his deal and assess whatā€™s what in a year, but I think the calculus has changed with the Saudi money. A Bosman deal used to be seen as most lucrative, and probably a nice way to play out your career and top up the old pension. But now, for a player like Thiago who doesnā€™t have too many years left, maybe the Saudi situation changes that?

1 Like

Now we are discussing rumours from Indykalia :see_no_evil:

But Bajcetic has performed in the PL too. Only got about 25% of the minutes Lavia has but I donā€™t see that thereā€™s enough evidence there to suggest Lavia is more of a certainty than Bajcetic given the cost involved.

Thereā€™s a risk with any of the other names coming in but theyā€™ve all got a greater body of work to judge them on than Lavia has. Might not be PL experience but I think thatā€™s often over stated given the level of research that will go into the scouting and analysis of players.

I donā€™t think thereā€™s enough evidence (and by that I mean number of games played, not the quality of what heā€™s done) to make it worth taking the risk on Lavia given the price and the probable impact itā€™d have on Bajcetic. Youā€™d essentially be paying a premium for his one season of PL experience instead of the market rate for someone youā€™ve got a greater body of work to judge from, albeit in a different league.

1 Like

From what Iā€™ve seen and read, Lavia is more of a deep playmaker with a great passing range, so Iā€™m thinking more of an Alonso type than a Masch-type DM. And no reason he couldnā€™t play alongside someone like Bajcetic.

If weā€™re really after him, which Iā€™m not sure on.

1 Like

I think you make a fair point @rab. I love Lavia, think heā€™s a great player (or at least will be) but if we have faith in Bajcetic there could be some issues trying to develop both.

Having said that I think both both of them are capable of playing in an 8 role as well so that could be a solution. Ultimately my objective is to get Fabinho out of the team and for that we probably need a more experienced/established alternative.

4 Likes