The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Somehow I have a hard time believing that FSG would pay for a single player what they paid to acquire the entire club.

4 Likes

Liverpool investment hopes boosted as Ā£16bn company confirms Premier League interest (msn.com)

1 Like

would love it to be true but its not.
theres no way its happening. All of a sudden we have 300m while at the moment our entire midfield rebuild is looking likely to happen for under Ā£100m becuase we are bringing in kids from the french league.
we cant even afford the lad from Brighton or in the conversation for Rice.

2 Likes

I was wondering if one of our strikers (other than Bobby) might be off but I suspect this is just journos seeing Salah as a prize target for the Saudis, putting 2 + 2 together and getting 5.

People are confusing 30m with 300m. :rofl:

[center]Oh great,Mbappe is back on the radarā€¦till someone tells FSG they need to cough up!
How good is this Van der Ten story,know stuff all about him but they seem to think it might be a goer on TIA?
After all he is a young Dutch defender,it seems,and we have another Dutch defender who could teach him a thing or three!

1 Like

And pulled out of the Bellingham deal when it hit Ā£100m. Thereā€™s unreliable rumours, then thereā€™s MBappe rumours :rofl:

3 Likes

IMOā€¦ The way things developed at PSG, Mbappe would now have a lot of baggage that would cause lots of disruption to team camaraderieā€¦ Would he be a plus or a minus I wonder

2 Likes

I suspect MbappĆ©ā€™s reputed attitude problems would be a red light regardless of the stratospheric costs. I think this is a case of journalists with too much time on their hands.

1 Like

Mbappe doesnā€™t even suit a Klopp system. You have to be willing to run, unfortunately Mbappe wasted his developmental years watching Messi and Neymar stand still waiting for everyone else to the work for them and it rubbed off on him.

Besides, transfers like that are just boring. I dont care where Mbappe goes after PSG, its tedious.

5 Likes

Even aside from the player himself, the shitshow that would follow him to the club would become immediately irritating.

1 Like

Where would he fit in?

Think Mbappe sees his future as a CF.

We have an overload on players who can and prefer to play LF and CF.

Even if we would sell Mo to bring in Mbappe - doubt he would want to play RF.

Hi folks,

Since Fabrizio Romano said weā€™re in the race for Romeo Lavia Iā€™ve been doing the usual YouTube research (less clips, more spoken analysis). I think this kid is the real deal. Press-resistant, a great eye for a pass from deep, and the ability to execute it. Heā€™s even decent at long passes with his weaker foot. Heā€™s been called up to the Belgian national team and Manchester City have a GBP 40M buy-back clause for next year. I think heā€™s actually worth that 40M now. IMHO if we do MacAllister, Thuram/Kone and Lavia we shall have done well from a midfield-reset perspectiveā€¦

6 Likes

Not gonna happen, but theoretically, thereā€™s no doubt you take Mbappe, even if it meant building the attack around him. Itā€™s as simple as that really.

Ours is currently built around Salah, who is 31 and the rest are yet to fully prove themselves as we look at whatā€™s our next best combination in attack.

Mbappe himself still prefers playing in the left inside channel, not as a proper winger and not as a pure striker either. Basically, pretty similar to what Salah does for us on the right side. He likes having a target man central and then play facing the goal/box a lot. Think also Ronaldo back at Real.

He has played quite a bit also on the right side before, when he joined PSG (and they had Neymar on the left, Cavani playing regularly, etc.) and also for France when they won gold in 2018.

Back then, Matuidi for France was the stabilizator on the opposite side of Mbappe. Now, Dembele plays deeper on the right than Mbappe on the left. Rabiot at LCM (or Camavinga) closes the side behind Mbappe and Griezmann also drops deeper to RCM to allow Mbappe playing pretty high and asking opposition questions how much room they even want to give them on his side.

He has also played up top of course, but thereā€™s a difference if itā€™s for PSG in a front two (which is then not dissimilar to when he plays inside left in a front 3).

Tuchel had a very interesting idea in that season when they reached the CL final when he toyed with the positions of Neymar and Mbappe. While also having a stabilizator player in Di Maria (one of the very best at that). In some games and periods within games, he used to switch Neymar and Mbappe. Confused teams a lot.

Playing up top on his own at a big club in a bigger league is the last little question mark I have with him. It might be his next and last evolution step. What happened at Real in the mean time is that Vinicius became one of the worldā€™s best players in the position that is very similar to Mbappeā€™s current favourite. If he goes to Real, he will not play the central role in the way Benzema did it. Different skill set. But obviously heā€™s technically also a very high level player. So, he could do it in his own way.

If we had Mbappe now in the building, Iā€™d comfortably give him that role on the left. In that case, while Salah is still here especially, we would need Gakpoā€™s combining skills rather than Nunez central. But that is less important. Mbappe will probably ā€œhaveā€ to make that next step, learning how to play central on his own more. If he goes to Real (still likely i think) or somewhere else. So, if we had him, weā€™d also look at that possibility and then pick players or different style to replace someone like Salah.

Itā€™s not happening, we all know it, but that has absolutely nothing to do with that heā€™s maybe a wrong fit for us or that we donā€™t have room for him in our team.

1 Like

Not wanting to overpay for a player is not the same as not being able to afford him as for Mbappe it could be liverpool way of forcing RM to sell at least one of their midfielders to pay for the transfer of Mbappe. I reckon even if they call our bluff we will go ahead with his transfer to liverpoolā€¦

1 Like

I agree with you his attitude is not the best the Parisians think he is a right little shit but as I said liverpool are probably playing a game of chicken?

1 Like

I donā€™t think neither Bellingham nor Rice are worth over Ā£100M even shitty have pulled out of the Rice deal you are not going to say that they cannot afford to pay it.

IMO City have never been in for Rice.

West Ham used the media to up the price for Arsenal.

1 Like

Has anybody ever seen this guy play?

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1674019026807169026?s=20

4 Likes

Donā€™t know why weā€™d need him right now, but there you go.

Maybe he is and will remain on our list to follow for potential future transfer windows.