The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Depends if we see him as someone who can play in the advanced ‘2’ positions in the box. If so, almost definitely a better player than Gravenberch and Thuram.

1 Like

Maybe, but then when we’re without the ball, he’d have to drop back and defend (be it press or defend in our half) from a RCM in a midfield 3 position. But everything we say this summer will depend on what structure(s) we use next season and how often. Maybe we think there’s enough material in him to make him play more active in both directions and we’d trust him more than someone like Mount, for the financial package and ceiling.

1 Like

Sure, but neither of those players (RG/KT) is particularly good defensively either. Of the 3 he surely has the most ability with the ball.

2 Likes

A minus … he’s morphing from nice kid to Neymar-lite.

Those 3 words…“due to price”

2 Likes

Apparently has a €70m release clause valid until 30/6…after that price goes up.

We’ve already mentioned him in “Who would you buy?” thread, I think, he’s ace. I’ve seen the required ten games from him, though mostly for Hungarian national team. Eye test says that he’s amazing with the ball, quick off the mark, has a good shot on him, is a rather decent dribbler and a set-piece taker… But I have no idea if he’d fit the pressing game - that said, if he’s a regular starter for Leipzig and our data team identified him as a target, he must be at least decent in that aspect.

I just don’t know where he’d fit exactly into this side, though. Quite possibly as one of two central/attacking midfielders, it would make sense to have him play next to Mac Allister and ahead of a holding midfielder. Also, since he’s playing for Leipzig, they’d probably demand a fair wedge of money, regardless of the good relationship our club have with them.

4 Likes

One thing is clear is that we’re obviously eyeing pretty much more “offensive” or more “technical” players than most fans/media expect us to.

We’re simply not having a “give us 3 workhorses and that should do it” summer.

The standard of us recently (up to this time last year and only somewhat near the end of last season) and where we need to get back to is pretty high.

I expected us to get two midfielders, both active and with good availability. One more for control (turned out to be Mac), another more athletic one. A potential third one if anything happens and there’s a willing taker for Fabinho.

Didn’t have these more hybrid-attempts in mind, like Mount, Szoboszlai and who else. But maybe if Thuram’s price range is going higher than we expected/are willing to pay, we’re willing to consider someone else/a bit different.

2 Likes

I’m not altogether sure if Szoboszlai or Veiga would be the better player as an attacking midfielder. The former currently has more experience, but I’d be happy with either one. Veiga would be cheaper. A deal for Szoboszlai might be helped by the Carvalho loan, even if the deals aren’t related, as such, because there is a good working relationship with Leipzig.

Ornstein gives it a bit more weight - doesn’t mean it is happening, but it is a cut above most of the internet chatter and rumours.

My take is we are going to sign probably three more players this summer, and to get there we are talking with half a dozen, so as to not box ourselves in.

1 Like

City now being linked with Veiga, now that they’ve pulled out (they were never in it!) of the Rice race.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1674026394571907073

Now that the U21 Netherlands team is out of the European Championship, I expect this lad to move pretty swiftly. Spurs the latest to be linked - I’d be pretty happy if Spurs, once again as per Diaz, do all the ground work and we swoop in late and secure the deal.

Blockquote Dominik Szoboszlai, the RB Leipzig midfielder, is among those Liverpool have looked at, but with a £60 million clause, no move has yet been made for the 22-year-old Hungary international. He has also been monitored by Newcastle United.

Inter Milan’s Nicolò Barella is admired by Liverpool, with the assistant manager Pepijn Lijnders having namechecked the Italy international in his book Intensity: Inside Liverpool FC. He is not desperate to leave, though, and Sandro Tonali’s £52 million move from Inter’s city rivals, AC Milan, to Newcastle means that Barella would be pitched as even more expensive by the beaten Champions League finalists.

So the test of Liverpool’s strategy, and the model of owner Fenway Sports Group, is still to come given this period was all about key signings to make them competitive again. It is a trial they must pass.

Liverpool have been linked with a plethora of names. Some of the speculation appears to have been overheated, and many are playing in the European Under-21 Championship at present.

There was a window between the end of the season and the start of that tournament for deals to get done, but for whatever reason Liverpool did not take that opportunity.

Monitoring FC. Klopp will have to say that no right player available at “right” price. Lol.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1674025336466448384?t=o1q7xo7yNV2-pfmGVe8exw&s=19

City will just pay the €40m while we ask if can pay it over 6 years…

Another idea, maybe Szoboszlai in would mean Elliott out somewhere on loan. And then Dominik would provide competition/cover in two positions, right side of midfield and also when Mo is not available. Playing it differently to Mo, of course. When we have someone like Salah, then Gakpo makes more sense centrally. When we have someone like Szoboszlai off the sides, Nunez makes more sense centrally.

1 Like

I’d be so fucking hyped if we signed Szoboszlai!

2 Likes

I was thinking something similar to this but regardless of Szoboszlai’s transfer (or club’s interest in him). It’s obvious that Klopp wants an attack-minded, dynamic midfielder. Elliott might be that in a few years (plus he’s a leftie, meaning that he could bring a different kind of balance to that side of the pitch) but if Carvalho can go out on loan, so can Elliott. Obviously, that would depend on Klopp getting his reinforcements right this summer.

1 Like

Every single fanbase calls themselves Monitoring FC because they all spend too much time looking at transfer rumours.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/AnfieldWatch/status/1674039744051785728?s=20

1 Like

https://twitter.com/LFCTransferRoom/status/1674020377066975232?s=20

In other words wont accept below the release fee.
Oh well that lasted long.

4 Likes