The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Midfielders currently linked to us:

Khéphren Thuram
Manu Koné
Ryan Gravenberch
Gabri Veiga
Dominik Szoboszlai
Roméo Lavia

Have I missed anyone???

1 Like

arnold schwarzenegger dont bullshit me GIF by Jerology

1 Like

You forgot Barrella

Yeah I’m never going to remember how you spell his name.

Next please.

[ˈsoboslɒi]

IMO Szoboszlai falls in the same bracket as Mount, which would suggest to me that we are looking for a more technical/scoring MF in the high RM role, which Hendo often occupies…

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure Henderson will be used as one of the deep lying CM.

It’s seen his best performances.

I personally think the guy is something special and commented that last summer. You’d easily be buying a starter and perhaps I wonder if this is why we haven’t been concrete on others.

Hendo has had quality periods as the #6, mainly the start of 16/17. But peak Hendo has always been best in a more dynamic, box-to-box role. From his rise of form and importance in the second part of 12/13, full of 13/14, very good numbers while slowly taking over the captaincy in 14/15 (one of 3 rare performing individuals that season along with Coutinho and Sterling), to him proving to Klopp from the second part of 18/19 that he can again be a quality #8. By Kiev, 2018, it was clear that we were looking for an upgrade at #6. His game became a bit limited for the step we had to make. Him winning that individual award in 19/20, on the back of almost 2 seasons playing as the #8, was sort of cherry on the cake for him.

He’s always an option to drop back to #6 when we need it. I could even see him doing a job as an emergency RB if we need some extra cover there, other than Gomez. If we mainly play the double-pivot structure, then he can do the #6 job with less pressure and it’s better for him as he goes into his final years here. He looked pretty fresh for England in their last game, playing as the LCM (whch he rarely played in his career), allowing Trent on the opposite side of central midfield. We need an injection of a new player providing fresh legs and energy, but I believe Hendo can still provide very solid games if some of our new signings are struggling.

1 Like

Yeah but he is nowhere near Peak Henderson now and his best role is that number 6, it’s been obvious for a while now.

Not sure how it’s been obvious, because he didn’t play much as #6 in last years. When he did, it was so-so. Going more into his 30’s, he might play a bit more deeper. How much he plays next season, that remains to be seen.

Yeah but you’re always a sitting on the fence type person.
He might be good or he might be bad. He’ll play a lot of minutes but it’s possible he won’t. I think he’ll get 30 goals this, unless he doesn’t. He’ll play high left unless Klopp says deep right.

2 Likes

is anyone else slightly concerned we have only brought one in so far and pre-season starts next week?

1 Like

I’m not.

I didn’t and still don’t expect us to sign many players this summer. Maybe two more, that actually might be it.

More players in could depend on more potential departures, sometimes you have to wait for that domino effect from the market and it’s not even July yet. Par example, the mentioned interested clubs in Kelleher are all signing other goalkeepers. But perhaps something still happens with him this summer.

I’m curious to know how much does our net spending this summer depend on our sales, because we don’t have “much to sell”.

1 Like

Been wondering whether these Mbappe noises have got something to do with LFC trying to prise Tchouameni or Valverde from RM… as in sell us one and we quash the Mbappe rumours, or we will hang around the auction and make sure you pay big bucks for him

Look around the top half of the league and most clubs have done maybe one deal so far. Spurs have done three but one of them was already there. Chelsea have done one but four have left. United have done nowt and nor have Newcastle.

It’d be nice to have more business done but it’s no more or no less than what most have done so far.

Mac Allister replaced Milner. Firmino was already replaced by Gakpo. Ramsey was a kid who was injured all season. We need perhaps one more to replace what Arthur, Keita and Ox gave us last year.

Most players won’t be back for day one of pre-season anyway because of the stupid Nations League and the less stupid U21s Euros.

1 Like

Just seems so strange - weve let 7 (?) go and brought in 1.
Klopp wanted new players by preseason - we know at least 5 that would be going so youd think replacements would be lined up.
Its just so quiet and normally thats a good thing but the last few windows means its quiet cos nothing is happening.
we are miles away from a title challenge in current state.
This club never seems to do enough they just hope to get by - so frustrating, Arsneal won fuck all for years can lay out £170m while we just seem to be sitting around.
I just dont trust FSG theyve been shit for a while and we have gone backwards quickly.

3 Likes

More players leaving than arriving this summer was always going to be the case, especially with most of them leaving on a free. We ended the season with 30 first team players on paper, we’re not going to have the same number going into next.

2 Likes

Arsenal are strengthening, but it’s adding to their debt. Not that I know much about them, but I would imagine it’s a calculated gamble, to try to cement their status in the CL and with a fair wind challenge for big trophies.

Most of our departing players didn’t make much of a contribution, so just talking in terms of bodies out and in is misleading.

I expect three signings, or maybe four. So far it’s one - a good one, now let’s see what happens.

Ideally we get them in for a full preseason, but with international football that’s not going to happen.

I’m not down on our owners. If it is just MacAllister this summer then I will be. But there’s a long way to go yet.

1 Like

Had we sold Salah last summer for ~100m and spend ~200m on Mbappe I would have been pleased.
Alternatively had we spunked our money on Bellingham last summer I would also have been very pleased. Now, it would be crazy to spend on Kylian instead of spending up to refresh out midfield (2 more signings please) and CB.

1 Like

”But in his pre-match press conference, Klopp played on the safe side, explaining that he was not expecting business to be completed early.

“It’s always possible that things don’t go as quick as you want. It’s not only possible, it’s probably likely,” he told reporters.

“The better the player you want is, the lesser is the desire of the other club to let him go.

That’s exactly what we have to prepare for, what we are prepared for.

“But it’s a long window and a long pre-season and a long break in between, so we have time.

“If we get the new players in tomorrow or in six, seven weeks, it’s not a game-changer for me, to be honest.

“In an ideal world, they all sign tomorrow and I can tell them when they have to be here, we can start giving them the plans for the summer break and these kinds of things.

“But that will not happen like this, so all good.”

4 Likes