The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

From tomorrow’s BBC Gossip Column…

Torino’s Dutch centre-back Perr Schuurs, 23, is attracting interest from Liverpool as Jurgen Klopp looks to bolster his backline without parting with a large huge fee. (Football Insider)

As opposed to a small huge fee? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Klopp hasn’t done too badly with his defensive signings so far excluding the ones signed on Loans etc. If he sees something in him , I wouldn’t be too unhappy with that. Those scouts probably know better than us

Likes of Matip / Konate / VVD have shown that his CB signings have been astute. Let down with Matip’s fitness issues , but when Matip is fit , He does make a very strong case to be in the lineup.

3 Likes

I doubt we would be doing it solely on the basis of him being cheap.

I literally know nothing about him mind bar he plays for Torino and is Dutch.

2 Likes

But again a right footed CB (Just checked on google)

Wouldn’t be against the signing per se as we do have to take into account the injuries that Matip/Gomez suffer. But a left footed CB is probably the preference.

1 Like

Do we have any left footed CB’s after Sakho ? Even in our youth department ? I seem to recollect Koumetio is a left footed CB but he’s seemingly fallen off.

One reason why Liverpool has to be more aggressive in finding their players good loans. U21’s etc don’t cut it anymore.

1 Like

Klavan was I think our last senior left footed CB.

4 Likes

VVD was quicker in the past and his quickness really didn’t matter even when he was playing as a left sided CB. But after the prickford incident , He’s not been the same. Even a 2% dip post the injury is still a dip.

We’ve pretty much not been able to get a good left footed CB. It’s not a major issue though. But something that should be addressed if not in this transfer window , the next one.

1 Like

Maybe Schurrs now, to give us enough options, and we play the waiting game for Colwill? He can wind his deal down at Chelsea, grow leaps and bounds as a player, and then come on a free to play for his club, as a true replacement for VVD.

1 Like

I haven’t seen Schurrs enough. I might have seen some matches when he played in the CL with Ajax but nothing that I recollect anyway. Is his starting position as a left sided CB ?

Again seems a smokescreen , We’ve been known to float these rumours and then go for the kill elsewhere once we zero in on the target.

2 Likes

Will be interesting to see whether Klopp takes Koumetio on the preseason. A good preseason for him and Liverpool may well consider letting him see out matches etc. Might be a better way to go if we don’t get any good left footed CB’s this season.

He doesn’t appear to have progressed at all after being hyped up a couple of years ago.

4 Likes

take him on the pre-season to find a club to take him off of our hands then.

Koumetio has always looked crap everytime I’ve seen him.

2 Likes

Schuurs is a good, young prospect that fell out of favor with ETH at Ajax for Martinez and Timber. He wanted out for playing time, and, by most accounts, has done quite well at Torino.

He’s got good size, athletic, strong, solid with the ball at his feet…similar to deLigt…maybe not as strong aerially. He played against us in both group stage matches CL 20/21. Played RCB, and kept Mane in check throughout. I was very impressed at the time. Looked like the goods. Frustrated Mane repeatedly. We won both matches 1-0.

For the right price, think he could be a steal.

1 Like

Schuurrs is the one who everyone raved about because he caught Mane in one foot race, despite being abysmal for the rest of the game (Anfield).

3 Likes

I think more than simply left-footed, we might look at players who are comfortable playing there. Obviously it’s funny that Matip never played LCB for us, despite being technically good (it did my head in when it meant that Lovren continued at LCB). Gomez can do it, Konate can do it (even if long term it might be better for him to stay at RCB). If I remember well, Schuurs is indeed one of them who has experience of playing LCB as a right footer. But important to mention that Torino play 3 at the back. And I think Schuurs was mostly their LCB or central CB.

1 Like

So not as good as De Ligt then? Pass! Never rated De Ligt.

Think Quansah is a better prospect.

Tad harsh. Lad is not even 24 yet. Got all the tools, and seemed to be settling in at Bayern last half of season.

1 Like

A left footed CB allows us to start attacks from the left side of the field as well. Not to mention tackling with your leading foot.