The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Schuurly not?

Luke Chambers. 19 year old England U20 international, spent second half of last season at Kilmarnock and is supposedly wanted by Leverkusen.

4 Likes

I would say build up phase more than tackling, because tackling very much depends on each situation, where it is, etc. Left foot would be nice, but I donā€™t think weā€™re only looking at left footers. Just someone who is comfortable playing there and has already done it often enough. Plus, that ticks other criteria in general for our CBā€™s. Itā€™s not even been reported if we want a LCB who can also do a job at LB (and then possibly sell Tsimikas). So, if itā€™s not a player like that, Schuurs could be viewed as someone who can both add cover at LCB behind Virgil, but also bring competition in general at CB.

1 Like

Hes very talented but cannot get out of his own way. Heā€™ll be excellent for 70 minutes and then inexplicably pass the ball to the opposition centre forward, or simply forget heā€™s playing football and stop dead as a cross comes in etc.

Itā€™s all mental with him but, with only one year of U21 eligibility left he really would need to inprove rapidly and dramatically to have a shot here.

3 Likes

Weā€™ve already got Joe Gomez for that role

2 Likes

I really like that kid, wondered last summer if he could be good enough to provide competition at LB/LCB one day. Bajcetic and Chambers were my favourite surprises last summer in pre-season. But itā€™s very hard to make it here, he might take a different route. Leverkusen have already made a few changes on the left side of defence. Grimaldo is in from Benfica, Bakker has gone to Atalanta.

2 Likes

JoGo was brilliant in our title winning season - at times outshining even the peerless Virgil. Injury and confidence are what have hurt him not an inability to concentrate.

6 Likes

Koumetio can be brilliant but lacks concentration for the full 90 minutes.

Like most of our centre backs then!

1 Like

Nah, he didnā€™t mention anything about always being injured :wink:

Donā€™t think Koumetio is good enough for us. Doesnā€™t seem mobile/agile enough. But thatā€™s no shame if it turns out like that, maybe he can make it elsewhere.

1 Like

Usually a good indicator of not being good enough is if at 20/21 youā€™re struggling to cut it in the Austrian league.

The number of young players thatā€™ve come up through the system and completely bossed it at u18 & u21 level only to end up in the SPL/League 1 or god forbid even lower than that is unfathomable but as you say no shame in it as you have to start somewhere.

Its because SPL/League One is a good level. You have to be really talented to play at that level.

3 Likes

If we canā€™t get Colwill this summer I would take a Klavan type and then go back for him next summer when he only has one year left. I loved Raggie.

1 Like

I donā€™t believe a stop gap measure ever works, just keep Nat Phillips if a Klavan type signing is something we are looking at.

4 Likes

Iā€™d rate the Colwill options about a third, third, third.

Signs for Liverpool this summer.
Sweet talked by Poch, extends deal on better terms.
Stays put on the same deal, waits to see, as clock keeps ticking.

My concern with the latter option is he has two more years, plus a further year Chelsea option to extend, I think, so if they wanted to put the brakes on his move, as a scorned lover so to speak, they could do.

Saudi Arabia interest in Jordan Henderson is intensifying with an answer on his future entering a decisive period.

:speaking_head: [@_pauljoyce]

For now, Iā€™d say heā€™s more likely to stay than go.

But weā€™ll see.

3 Likes

I cant see Hendo leaving this summer. Club wont be looking to push him out, and i dont think he will walk now he has started pre seasonā€¦

2 Likes

33 not a regular starter plus a massive pay rise on offer.
Must be tempting.

2 Likes