The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

If fab and Hendo leave, we need at least 3 midfielders in and a left sided cb. That’s too much to do this summer with our owners I’m afraid. We are gonna be short somewhere going into the new season.

1 Like

We already have two. One more Midfielder and a CB is enough.

1 Like

We do not need 3 midfielders, we have plenty already.

If we signed Lavia (for example) we’d have 7 players for 3 positions, ignoring the likes of Morton, Trent and Gakpo.

What would we need 9 for?

1 Like

They both need to go, at all costs. Keep hearing it’s either or…why? The time is now, both of them are over that hill & they can stay there. Even include Thiago because there isn’t anything worst for a manager than being available for selection 50% of the time.

And there it is…the inevitable re-links to Caicedo. As unreliable and easy a link to make as possible given todays madness.
https://twitter.com/indykaila/status/1679490928388743171?t=1zNYLkeKqpzgTpEpneHOew&s=19

Frenkie de Jong, Pedri. Valverde.

Yeah, probably, but we’re down to limited options pretty quickly if both these lads leave and we dont bring in someone else. Thiago, Elliott and Baj, the last of whom might be the first in line to fill in for Trent in the hybrid role. With Dom’s versatility and comfort on the left that might be enough if Thiago was reliable. Given his fitness issues though it’s probably one short.

Could Gapko drop into one of the AM roles in a push?

Weren’t we “In” at that price the last time around?

2 Likes

The good thing with that midfield is that they can play different roles. Trent could go into the AM role if needed, Jones could drop back into a deep position and Mac could move forward to LAM too. Someone like Lavia would also be able to play either the deeper or more advanced roles - with the deeper positions being more natural.

Szobo’s versatility will probably be in the wide positions rather than midfield, which is similar to Elliott. Thiago could only really play the LCM role that Mac will occupy. Bajcetic is mostly going to play in the deeper roles.

With that versatility I think you can move things around to cover most gaps.

I don;t think they factor into the conversation at this point but this could suit players like Bobby Clark much more than the three man midfield (although yes it will morph to a 3 man midfield out of possession).

2 Likes

I dont think there was any real indication we were. The price Real ultimately paid ended up being a considerable amount than was being touted during the period when the links to us started looking like they had legs.

2 Likes

A lot of coulds there. I felt from some Klopp quotes that he doesn’t see Trent as high up the pitch as Southgate used him in the last international break. Although he also had the freedom to drop deep for the ball when he felt he could. Trent’s best attribute will be to face the game, rather than receive more back to goal. It’s already good if it works when he steps into double-pivot when we’re in possession. It did so far, now we have to continue working on it.

3 Likes

Ornstein was hungover and needed some low-hanging fruit for ideas…

1 Like

Sure, but when you have Mac, Dom and Jones who have all shown the ability to play is different roles in a midfield then there will naturally be a lot of “coulds” in talks about how we accommodate one or more player being out.

2 Likes

What if all three veteran midfielders leave? Talk of Fabinho to Saudi for 40M, and Barcelona in for Thiago, who may be open to reuniting with his mentor, Xavi.

How many more midfielders do we then need to sign?

I see the first four as:

MacAllister
Szoboszlai
Jones
Trent (inverted role continues)

Then the next four as:

Lavia
Bajcetic
Elliott
Morton (might find his way into the group and not go on loan)

Is that enough? Probably.

Although the pendulum has now swung far in the direction of youth. Arguably it needs one more, probably a seasoned player? Or maybe someone a bit older, instead of Lavia?

Lots of variables coming into play with the Saudi moves in the market.

Been a bit busy recently, missed anything?

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

1 Like

Cash Money GIF by Felly

1 Like

He can pay @Klopptimist to dry his tears.

2 Likes

Might potentially see Gakpo occasionally playing one of the more attacking midfield roles.

1 Like

Or flog his kids

1 Like