The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

now there’s an unreliable rumor if I ever saw one. Selling a home-grown center back to Leeds who costs us relatively little, as our 5th CB.

1 Like

Good luck to Nat Phillips. Not of a level to be a top player at a team like ours, but there’s no disgrace in that. When we were short, he stepped up to the mark and did better than most expected, winning everything in the air and putting his body on the line for LFC.

Full respect to that fella.

I think he is a northern boy (Bolton?) and a move to Leeds keeps him in his part of the world, albeit a jog across the Pennines.

Leeds are a big club, and he could do well there and help them get back on track with a promotion push to the Prem.

The years have moved on, as they always do, and Nat Phillips doesn’t have too many miles on the clock for his age. It is quite possible that Leeds are going to get themselves a stout player, who will do very well for them, for a bargain.

He needs to move on and forge a career where he has a chance of playing. All reds know the score though. Nat Phillips has the heart of a lion, and he never let us down when called upon.

Good luck to him.

2 Likes

Unreliable yes but would it surprise you if he left? There’s a lot of noise coming from the Leeds camp that he’s 1 of a number of faces they’ve agreed terms with, haven’t seen him in any of the pics/vids the last few days & if you’re getting 8-10m for your 5th choice CB, I’d say that’s pretty good going. Step up Quansah or whoever’s next in line.

2 Likes

yes it really would. especially considering the source of the rumor is a “nobody” site that has more content on pro wrestling than football.

He’s 26 year old and, while being a lovely guy with a story like a film, miles and miles away from being good enough for us.

We have young prospects with way higher technical ability who will get chances because he isn’t there swallowing minutes in the cups.

The only surprising thing is that Leeds would want him, but I suppose he’ll be fine in the Championship.

2 Likes

Werent they linked to him a year or two ago? Or am i mixing it up with someone else?

We’ve been open to selling him for the past three years or so. It’s only untimely injuries to others that have kept him here.

Homegrown or not he’s not the style or level we need. We’re also supposedly shopping for another CB and Quansah definitely looks as though he’s getting more time with the first team squad too.

Source might be bullshit but if he’s still here after the window closes it’ll only because no one offered a reasonable fee.

2 Likes

and because without him in the lineup, I think we will have a problem registering any more players. though I’m not certain of it, I believe that the loss of OxCham means we only have 7 available which means we can’t register a full 25man squad. I read somethign about it but can’t remember the details.

Registering someone like Phillips just gives you one more player no one wants to see get picked. It is not a demonstration of you position of strength

4 Likes

It may be the case we can’t register a full 25 man squad but if we buy another CB then Phillips would likely be 6th choice and wouldn’t be registered anyway. At that point you might as well have Quansah as 6th choice who is young enough not to need to be named in the 25 man squad.

1 Like

He’s still better than slabby maguire

1 Like

Liverpool’s homegrown as of now - Jones , Trent , Gomez , Kelleher , Phillips , Henderson

We’ll be able to register 15 non homegrown players with these.

Jaros can get the nod for a third choice keeper if Kelleher were to leave which isn’t a big problem in itself. Rhys, Sepp are already out on loan. So leaves us with 6 players which include Henderson & Phillips. Meaning that we can’t add anymore players unless we sign new ones. Both Henderson and Phillips going means we’ve got to register two more homegrown signings to get the full 15 non homegrown squad able to play. We can cheap out and register Spearing as a last resort though. We will have to make two such registrations.

And any further non-homegrown players to be signed depends on us signing homegrown players or atleast registering one further homegrown player.

It’s a temporary problem as the likes of Elliot , Carvalho (both 20) , Morton (20) , Pitaluga come of age next summer. Will give us back to hopefully getting 6-7 homegrown players if not 8. Adrian’s probably on his last season as well so the 3rd keeper is the easiest to fill.

Players like Bajcetic are 2-3 years away from qualifying as homegrown. As would Lavia if we do get him.

We might well have to keep Kelleher and Phillips for another season. Particularly if we have to sign a player from another league who won’t qualify as homegrown.

Take this list. Sepp’s on his loan at Mainz. Rhys is loaned out to Aberdeen. We’ve got Dominik coming in and Fabinho mostly going out. We have 6 homegrown right now and any signing we make now would have to get one homegrown player signed alongside as well. Especially if Henderson were to leave as is looking likely.

FzoB7ApX0AAeDTL

Can you register coaches? Spearing as you say wouldn’t be a bad get out.

Maybe a reason Henderson won’t leave.

1 Like

I might be misunderstanding the rules but we don’t have to fill our HG slots though, right? We get 17 non-HG as a maximum but we don’t have to fill our HG quota to get them. So either way we will have our 17 non-HG players and then whatever HG ones we have left can be registered.

If we think we don’t need a full 25 man squad, or that U21s will be able to cover gaps for the Europa League then we don’t really need to worry about it.

4 Likes

Like couldn’t you theoretically have 17 non-HG players and 0 HG players?

3 Likes

The fact that Harry Maguire got sold for 80m pounds is the greatest CON JOB of all time!! I just laugh every time they say “Manchester United Captain MaGuire.” Actually I read that Maguire just got stripped of the Captaincy by Ten Hag. Not sure if TRUE. Can someone confirm this further humiliation of Maguire?

Yes.

3 Likes

Getting almost £50m for Nat Phillips and Fabinho this summer is a reason to get absolutely smashed.

2 Likes

You can for the premier league , for UEFA. You need a minimum of 8 homegrown players. 4 club trained and 4 others.