The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

That’s Jota. Statistically his best year as a pro but we are seeing why Wolves became impatient and decided to move on. Blows ice cold or white hot.

The trouble at the moment is he’s not doing anything well, even when he’s not scoring. Pep Lijnders proclaiming when we signed him that he “presses like a demon”, not seeing any of that at the moment, either.

I like Jota, but he needs to find consistency. Thats not a critique, this is the expectation playing at Liverpool.

Regarding Kane, at the risk of @Kopstar besmirching his dad and sister, I’m taking him every day of the week in our squad. I couldn’t give 2 shits less about how much of a knob Kane is, he would be pure dynamite in this setup.

3 Likes

Agreed - otherwise he will just be the “super sub” and rotational player and never take that half step up to becoming first choice that he seems on the cusp of the first half of the season.

1 Like

Of course Jota needs to play better than his last couple of months but it’s starting to feel like he’s getting written off like Mane was.

Despite those last couple of months he ended up on 21 goals in all competitons. He was great when AFCON was on and he scored against all of the top 6 apart from Chelsea including 4 against Arsenal.

He’s been a really good signing so far, I expect him to bounce back next season.

12 Likes

This could simply be me making 2 + 2 equal 5. But The Boss comments after the final league matchday were interesting about next season: “we will build a team, and we will go again.”

1 Like

So far you’ve suggested Kane and Werner. I’d prefer Gary Barlow to either of them

6 Likes

@Prolix

I’ve only just seen that, was wondering why you were frowning at me. Thought you’d turned team Timo.

Haha @GaryBarlow99

Take that.

7 Likes

The great thing about having quality depth is you can play and rely on the players in form.

Early in the season that was Salah with Jota probably our next most in form and questions were being asked of Mane. Mid season that was Jota in form with Salah and Mane doing bits around the AFCON and Diaz arriving. Late season it was Mane and Diaz leading the way with Salah and Jota struggling a bit.

We’re less reliant on one single player for goals and pieces of magic than I think at any other point in my time supporting us.

4 Likes

He had a very good first year with us too. He was fine until he got injured earlier this year. Hasnt had the same impact since.

4 Likes

I think a major part of Jota struggling with pressing is he’s been moved around too much, especially when he’s been asked to lead the line. Our #9 (who is actually false) is typically the trigger of the press but also need to be aware of the other forwards in regards to where they are, i.e. You don’t press if your other 2 are out of position otherwise you go and get bypassed easily.

When he came in he played off the left and thats easier as your trigger is the man in the middle and you’ve got much less space to condense. I may be wrong but didn’t he play a lot more games with Bobby initially, who is excellent at leading the press but also making space for people.

Jota needs a full pre-season including some specific training on ball retention, that’s his biggest area of improvement. He’s a huge talent who lost his way a little after he got injured.

3 Likes

Id consider Ken Barlow over Werner

2 Likes

Kane wont be coming, or Son. Spurs have got CL football, their own targets to focus on buying, are notoriously difficult to negotiate with…and will be still pissed at losing out on Diaz.

5 Likes

I think this is perhaps one of the issues we have had in recent weeks. With games coming think and fast, preparation has been at a minimum, so we may have fallen out of sync particularly when players have moved positions.

1 Like

Agreed. I think the chance is low to no chance. My post was more in the line of if it was a chance I believe he would be unreal in this setup.

And also agreed with you and @Draexnael on Jota. I think after Diaz was signed, Jota was moved around and asked to do different things. Being a player with multiple skill sets can be a blessing and curse. The ankle injure didn’t help matters.

My posting history bears out I love him (but full transparency I was a little mad at him after the first wolves match). I want him to succeed here, he has all the tools and the pedigree. He’s 25.

5 Likes

Look Babe, Could it be Magic with Timo and Naby? Sure could. Would we Rule the World with Kane? Get Ready For It. But I think if we have a little Patience, Sadio could sign a new contract which would be the Greatest Day for me. Never Forget how good he is.

5 Likes

Yep I definitely want Klopp to explore this. He’s here for 4 years, and he’s needing to do a mini rebuild given the contract situation of the forwards and the age of our midfielders.

IMO our interest in Tchouameni could be suggesting a move to a fourth attacker with home or a player like him partnering Fab.

Edit:. Duuhhh you already mentioned Tchouameni😏

1 Like

Nunez and Gavi, switch to 4-2-3-1, or at least add that option, job’s a good un.

I don’t get it

3 Likes

cheeky Havertz bid?