The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

I can’t see us signing any player from a PL club tbh. It’s been mentioned that West Ham would want about £80m for Bowen , and we wouldn’t entertain that , so how much would players like Saka and Son be valued at ?

1 Like

Would have to talk to Darwin Nunez and his people surely… would lead the line great for us as a number 9 and is the right age and showed against us he’s a great finisher.

3 Likes

Ok, I’ve looked at him again, as you suggested. He’s still shite.

5 Likes

Hate to have these thoughts, but the way teams are constantly playing against us these days, including the ‘Big Six’ and even RM on Saturday, by sitting deep with 8,9 even 10 outfield players in their own third… might not be the urgency for us to have forwards that smash the 100m dash world record. Might need to evolve into more of a Tiki-Taki approach at the opposing penalty area… or maybe sign up and build a squad capable of playing like the red arrows when needs be, and pass teams into submission if that is better suited

1 Like

you’re not wrong and it’s been our Achilles since the original Heavy Metal football died off in 2018/19 season. the Klopp system works very well playing against a team that doesn’t have the quality or the confidence to withstand the pressure. But a well-drilled team team with world-class players KNOW that they’ll get their chances and just have to capitalize on them. Then you have the blips like Brentford, or 10-man Chelsea… and you can see the limitations of the system. We will run other teams into the ground, very few can match our legs. But if you conserve energy by playing defensive and wait for those little gaps to open up, then you can score on the counter.

MOST times, the lads were able to pull it together. Maybe it’s just a combination of 63 games and such, but with the depth we have in almost every position except Salah & Fabinho (even then, Henderson covered admirably) there’s really no excuse for it. If Salah just ran out of gas, why didn’t we ever take him out for a game knowing he played multiple consecutive 120min matches at AFCON? We already had Diaz, and Jota…

will be interesting to see if there’s any morphing to the tactics for next season to be more incisive.

1 Like

…Unsure of this fact, but surely that playing surface if it was playing slow as suggested, would suit a more defensive minded side than one that needs a fast tempo to cause panic in the opposing defensive ranks…

1 Like

I agree, To me we lost the PL -and I know others think it was against teams like Brentford- due to the fact that we could not beat our direct competitors, City, Chelsea and Spurs. I hope Klopp finds a way next season.

1 Like

Based on a sample size of 2 games, he looks unreal and would be a perfect fit for us

NINETY TWO POINTS…

Maybe I’m in the minority but I’ll take that points tally as a yearly total year in year out!

11 Likes

We were 2 goals away from an unprecedented quadruple, and would be winning the league by miles every year without the sport washing billionaires. Yet people complaining about Klopp’s tactics

8 Likes

I wonder if this is the thinking with going after Gavi at Barcelona?

It will be fascinating to see how the next great team Jurgen is building might develop.

1 Like

Definitely, I’m taking that every time.

We could do a poll before the season starts. Late july/early august, 92 points yes or no, see how we feel about it then.

3 Likes

Absolutely, it definitely favoured Real Madrid. It really fucked up our rhythm.

3 Likes

everything about that final favored Madrid. There were no delays at the Madrid end getting their fans in. The delay didn’t help the nerves of our starting XI. Why the FUCK were they laying a BRAND NEW turf two days before the biggest club game of the year.

all of it fucking stinks.

7 Likes

We lost the PL due to throwing leads away against Brighton at home and Brentford away. Man City and Chelsea are fantastic teams it’s not expected to beat them, you can make a case for Spurs but the stuff around the away game is well documented elsewhere.

But losing a 2-0 lead against Brighton at home and you are suggesting it’s because we didn’t beat Man City, sorry but no.

We should have done better against Chelsea at home and been better in holding leads that’s an issue but I do think this thing about low block is being overegged slightly considering the amount of goals we actually scored, finals are tight affairs and it’s not like we didn’t create the chances to score on Saturday or in eithier domestic cup final. Diaz and Robertson spring to mind late on as chances that were just plain unlucky.

5 Likes

As for Jota did he actually play much in the middle after Mane returned. That injury knocked him a bit and he didn’t seem to return to form but his period during the AFCON showed he is a good player. Too much writing off of our players based on the last 3 months and not the previous 6. This fallacy that Mane was consistently good, he has been since the AFCON before that he was pretty poor.

4 Likes

If attack cost us the title in 2018/19, this time around it was the defence, in my opinion. If I’m not mistaken, we conceded 16 goals in the first 19 matches of the season (concluding with Chelsea away), conceding only 10 in the following 19. Conceding twice against each of Man City and Chelsea is no shame but we shipped three goals at Brentford and West Ham, for example. Klopp even said that it was the lack of consistency in the first half of the season that probably cost us the title.

Klopp will have to repeat his trick of getting players who underperformed for various reasons (mainly rhythm lost to injuries) to be running at full steam. Jota seems like the ultimate purple patch player - the great thing is how Klopp aligned the purple patches of his forward players to seemingly transition from one to another, meaning that the team almost never lost the momentum in the second half of the season (well, except against Tottenham and Real Madrid).

From the failed interest in Mbappe and Tchouameni, one can probably expect us to wrap up the signings of the second choice options, I think, and hopefully quickly. We’ve talked about how Jota and Diaz might already be Mane’s replacements but something got me thinking about how the next forward option, financed by Mane’s sale, might actually be Salah’s long term replacement, brought in a year early.

So, Diaz and Carvalho on the left, Jota and Firmino in the centre, Salah and the new guy on the right, with Gordon waiting in the wings for 2023/24? Sounds like a succession plan to me, even though I hope we replace Firmino with a better player this summer as I don’t think he’ll be getting back to his best, not at this club at least.

1 Like

Or maybe the apology for the bitters instead of a penalty :thinking:

1 Like

Think I read that it was the case because the stadium had been used to host concerts less than a week before?

1 Like

Who mentioned Gnabry

eek some nice numbers there, even if it is the German farmers league.

1 Like