The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Yes, i’m sure there had been some relatively high profile cases in Italy a decade or two ago

The poor soul. Can’t be easy

PSG are bluffing, there’s no way they can freeze him.

He’s the French captain and at this point represents France, so it they start doing it, it will become a political matter and Knapped is 100% winning it.

No sympathy for either mbappe or PSG. If mbappe wanted to join a better club , he had options when he left Monaco. He could have chosen to go to almost any top club then. But he chose the money.

PSG can make him rot in the substitute bench for the entire season if they want and it will be their loss.

Mbappe has probably already stagnated at PSG. He does not track back and help out in midfield. One year either stagnating at PSG or going to a lesser league is going to have a detrimental effect on his edge. He needs to be playing top footballers and team week in week out to improve. And that’s not looking likely unless Real put up a sizable 150-160m at the very least ( something they can afford given a few outgoings)

2 Likes

Haaland and Salah would have scored 50 goals in that league.

Lacazette scored 30+ goals a season quite a bit while in Lyon.

2 Likes

And even more damning, he only recently (last summer?) signed a new contract at PSG for huge wages rather than put himself in a position where he could now pick the most interesting footballing project.

3 Likes

Mbappe gets such a weird rap.

It’s what tends to happen when you’re the best in the world.

Especially nowadays when you get offered the kind of money you do for being the best (even before the Saudi’s came calling)…people feel aggrieved.

1 Like

Interesting. I can’t think of a footballer, who was the best itw, being disliked for being a high earner. I say It’s weird because criticism of him happens by way of insinuation because he is by all accounts polite, dedicated, intelligent etc. The assumption that he is power hungry & primarily money grabbing seems a little spurious given there are no actual reports that describe him demonstrating any of these behaviours.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s actually that so much. Rather people seem to be beginning to resent the outsize influence that footballers are beginning to exert in matters about which they cannot possibly claim to have any expertise. Mbappe’s comments regarding the death of the teenager which sparked the recent riots being a case in point. Prior to that the sight of the French President intervening in contract discussions left many scratching their heads. There’s also the accusation that hanging around Neymar for so long really hasn’t done him any favours.

1 Like

so true…

Money thrown in with jealousy of their success for me are the reasons why there is such negativity that follows them around…it builds their fame and this is what causes people to change their perception into usually diminishing who they are, I think it’s a large factor what has followed Messi and Ronaldo for the best part of the last 10-15 years. Like you say he’s not really done or said anything that’s drawn condemnation. He says he won’t sign a new contract? So what. He says he doesn’t know why PSG can’t go further in the CL & that he personally did all he could to ensure they did? So what.

2 Likes

A public figure using their platform to for social good isn’t anything new, it is literally the thing that Liverpool fans widely praised Jordan Henderson for & something that brought him widespread admiration. Shouldn’t Kenny have commented on the Hillsborough enquiry because he happened to be a footballer once? Or Robbie have supported the dockers? Of course they should.

Mbappe’s statement sympathises with the family & calls for calm. It is normal for this type of behaviour to be tolerated as long as it done for a good cause/well meaning & doesn’t exclude groups on the basis of their inherent characteristics. Mbappe’s comments meet that standard so why would it be an issue?

I don’t see how being pressured by the President of France to remain at PSG is his fault. Quite the opposite actually.

The use of the term “accusation” suggests that in “hanging around” with a team-mate he is doing something wrong. Again this is weird because it is criticism without scrutiny given that there is nothing to suggest it has had an impact on his attitude or his performance.

Aren’t people just sick of these dramas that start every summer?

We had this last year with Mbappe, and we’ll probably have it next year. His team are orchestrating it.

Any negativity surrounding him seems to stem from that. He’s got the leverage to make himself a shit load of money by playing two sides off against each other, fair enough, but it doesn’t mean we have to like hearing about it for 2 months of the year every year.

7 Likes

I just ignore it all - wait and see what happens - don’t really care to be honest.

All parties involved are at it.

1 Like

He called the guy a ‘little angel’ when he was far from it.

Macron intervening in his contract discussions is inappropriate on every level. The fact that he felt compelled to do it is testament to the outsize influence footballers now exert in society.

There is everything to suggest (to those who actually watch him play for PSG) that Neymar’s influence has had a negative influence on his overall game and his attitude.

Your whataboutism with Dalglish , Henderson and Fowler isn’t pertinent.

3 Likes

Aye, it’s really not complicated. People were surprised when he signed for PSG in the first place because they assumed he’d sign for Real. He made that choice and it didnt take him long to publicly complain about his situation. The circus around him last summer was distasteful, but had he forced his way out you could say “that’s just football”, but after all that he signed a new contract. And now he’s doing it again.

Fuck PSG because they deserve no sympathy. But that doesnt mean you have to ignore that Mbappe has also become an unpleasant distraction in a way that makes reasonable to debate if for all his undoubted quality he is actually worth it.

5 Likes

I don’t find it all that awkward that the conversation revolving around pets has made its way into the Rumors thread. when it comes to the middle east, I wouldn’t be surprised if the sheikhs look at all of their purchases at play toys…

who owns PSG again? Qatar?

cat walk GIF

2 Likes

Macron intervening in his contract discussions is inappropriate on every level.
Confused as to how this reflects badly on Mbappe not Macron & PSG

The whole “footballer’s opinions having an outsized influence on society” is such weird, elitist, selective bullsh*t, If jokers like Piers Morgan, Joe Rogan & every prick with a camera phone & a YouTube account can have an opinion on current events why can’t a footballer?

Your whataboutism with Dalglish , Henderson and Fowler isn’t pertinent.
It is clearly relevant (pertinent) given they have performed actions you have stated you disapprove off. Unless footballers can only address social issues if you like them or it is a cause you identify with.

There is everything to suggest (to those who actually watch him play for PSG) that Neymar’s influence has had a negative influence on his overall game and his attitude.
Still not doing to bad given he scored 51 G/A in 43 club matches in 22/23 That includes 10 G/A in 8 CL games. He also scored 8 goals at the in 4 games at the WC.