The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

It’s Cholmondley-Warner. Go figure. The eccentricities of the English language know no bounds. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Write one article for Anfield Watch and then another for FootballTransfers in which he cites his own “exclusive” on Anfield Watch as the source.

Almost a copy + paste job. Aims to add legitimacy to the rumour by self-publishing it in multiple places. Absolute garbage excuse for journalism.

1 Like

Way I see it is Klopp and the team are waiting for something.

He is purchasing for the next 3-5 years not the next 3-5 weeks. He is ok with what we have for those first 3 games, you disagree that’s fine but it’s the decision he makes his career on and I’m not going say he is wrong or damn him for that.

Lavia looked like a deal they were going to do before Fabinho and Henderson with those addition funds perhaps they are looking elsewhere.

I might be wrong but I’ve been dubious for a week or so whether this was happening.

So you’re saying we are getting …

France Football GIF by DAZN

:grimacing:

I was thinking you can go up a level if you have the funds to do so and no not signing players we don’t need.

Hey maybe I’m more realistically thinking win a trophy or two and get top 4 as we start on a rebuild if we somehow end up in the title race then great.

Lavia isn’t going be ready and who knows where Klopp sees him on his development it’s all factors and I feel it’s more sensible than “oh no clubs shit they should spend whatever on getting Lavia and next month, why did we spend 50m on Lavia he is shit”.

No,he’s saying we’re going for Tchouaméni

Whats the German guy we brought in up to? So far he has negotiated 2 release clauses and had 2 failed bids under his belt…

3 Likes

And are they not good players and did any Journalist know about those clauses? Considering they were quoting 70m on Macallister at one point I assume not, But then you’ll happily take whatever they say as gospel?

2 Likes

Absolutely Matty. I have a feeling they are playing it slow because a Tchouameni type player might become available. There is no other reason for taking days to “prepare an improved bid”. Just like the Slobz transfer came out of nowhere and very quickly, the same can happen here. Let’s just say Tchouameni becomes available and he is interested in moving to LFC. That allows us to drop Lavia interest and then go for a cheaper option like Andre as depth/cover. The club was willing to pay 80M for Tchouameni last summer. No reason to believe they wouldn’t pay that now.

1 Like

Or they could rationalise that if he didn’t make it in Spain, why would he make it in an even stronger league?

Not sure he didn’t make it in Spain. He only just arrived, had an injury if I recall correctly, and there was immense competition it the middle of the park. Klopp believes he can turn him into a beast.

I think the jury is still out on whether Touchemani can or will make it in Spain.

Any number of players haven’t and if we are saying this on the back of perhaps not signing Lavia it’s kind of amusing. The guy isn’t a seasoned pro and we could flippant and say he got relegated with a really dreadful Soton team.

Oh and before anyone loses their collective I said flippant. If Sweeting is right he would be a good signing. I’m happy to see it play out

1 Like

The Tchouameni talk is insane. He hit the ground running and was absolutely key to them up to the world cup. He suffered a bit on his return both physically and mentally, but no one at Real views those latter season struggles as indicative of who he is. He will start the season as their midfield anchor and everyone there fully expects him to be a near constant this season among the various permutations they still experimenting with.

I dont know I’ve ever seen such a collective over reaction to a recently injured player being kept on the bench for a big game as has happened with him since last spring.

6 Likes

arrived with an injury you say…we will take him!

This is quite the rational thought process and I’m generally in agreement. I think the only counter to it is that pretty much everyone is of the opinion that we need to do something this summer. The club included. Doing nothing isn’t really an option.

We went down that road last summer. We were forced into a late move that didn’t work and then found ourselves thin on the ground. Now, if we’ve decided Lavia is too rich for what we’ve seen of him then im fine with that. Don’t just keep going up and up if you aren’t comfortable doing so.

But we can’t then wait a year, hope we muddle through enough to make the CL and then start all this again. We just did that with Bellingham and look where we ended up. If we’re not convinced on Lavia then we have to find someone we’re willing to take a risk on at perhaps a lower price. But we absolutely can not leave it a year and hope we’re in a better spot next year.

5 Likes

I still think we will but the lay of the land may even be clearer in a weeks time.

There are some big clubs that haven’t done much yet and players who are expected to move on.

I think we will do deals, Klopp rarely says we will but he did say at the beginning that he would prefer to do the deals early but things don’t always work out and so some deals may be done later.

I’ll only worry if we are scrambling around for DM come the end of August.

1 Like

I suspect the scenario is likely something like this:

We liked Lavia and viewed him as someone who in a year or two would be a key player. We didnt expect him to have to hit the ground running, nor be a player who was filling an immediate need, and that put a cap on how much it made sense to pay for him right now.

It seems we are facing up to the prospect of not being able to get at a price at or under that cap. That has changed the profile of him as a signing. There were likely other players on our radar who we liked, but the price range we expected for them made them not viable for a signing who was the 3rd new CM fo the summer and someone not filling an immediate need. Hence us prioritizing Lavia.

But the combination of both Hendo and Fabs leaving opening a gap in the squad, plus lavia being priced out of the category we had pegged him to be in has likely forced us back to reconsidering the decision on who to prioritize. If his price now puts him in the range of players we’d previously decided were too expensive, then the logic of ruling out those players earlier in the summer no longer holds. Now, with an increased need to do something, and a need that maybe justifies a higher outlay than we initially expected, maybe rerunning the decision making process puts a different player at the top of the queue, one we’d previously decided would be out of reach.

3 Likes

Rumours here in Germany are that Bayern has strong interests in Tchouameni and that Tuchel really really wants this guy. Apparently they’ve even asked if there would be a possibility to get him on loan at least for a season.

And they want to get rid of Goretzka.

3 Likes

So they want Kane and TchouameniHave they found a money tree in their backyard… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Are their no free German players who ended up winding their contract down.

2 Likes