The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

I think Rashford seems to be a lovely person and a good ambassador for the game.

But in all honesty he’d be our 6th choice forward at the very best.

7 Likes

Considering at Westham Lingaard looked pretty decent it’s not a bad shout for Rashford. Would be a perfect set up also.

1 Like

A Spanish columnist who follows Barca is reporting we’ve tabled a bid for Gavi

3 Likes

Haven’t seen you around for a while :thinking:

1 Like

He’s been learning Spanish :rofl:

5 Likes

Positional wise with Jota and Diaz being our most recent forward recruitments, Rashford doesn’t make much sense. But overall, IF it is true, then yeah why wouldn’t the club have a little thought. Purely footballistic and cold headed, it’s our “duty” to explore different options. Never gonna happen though.

1 Like

I think the biggest sticking point is that for the role he’d play here he’d have to take a pay cut

Tea lady?

If we are talking about Rashford as a 5th /6th choice player , i would rather get a youth player forward.

I don’t see Rashford coming here. Looked like he would be a big player a few years ago, but at present has lost his way at a rudderless Man Utd.

He is obviously much better than he has shown for a while, and I could see him kicking on again in the right set up. But it is doubtful that we would have the time and the patience to get him up to speed here, especially given his age now. Not old, but not a youngster to develop either.

Then beyond that there is the money. Wages? He is probably already getting more than our highest paid player, or he would be at that sort of level. He would not deserve anything like that in our set up. And the transfer fee? Man Utd are rich and have no pressure to do business for economic reasons. And speaking of doing business, there is an unwritten rule that the clubs don’t do business. I remember the fuss over a journeyman Gabriel Heinze that was shut down. At some point that will change, but not now, not for Rashford.

If he gets a fresh start beyond Man Utd, I could see him being some sort of jewel in the crown for Newcastle, as they continue to emerge. Or arguably a new manager at Man Utd might help Rashford get his mojo back there.

1 Like

I could see him being useful for Newcastle, a jewel is a bit much. Reminds me a bit of welbeck. Good tools but inconsistent application.

Paul Ince is the only player I can think of that went from one to the other, since I was old enough to be aware of such things at least.

We signed Paul Ince from Inter Milan.

1 Like

Phil Chisnall in the 60’s was the last direct transfer I am aware of (from utd to Liverpool). There was another back in 1912 - Tom Chorlton who went the other way. Ince, Owen and Beardsley have been at both clubs.

Yep, there was a big deal made out of it when we were linked with Heinze I think?

2 Likes

I agree. I choked when I wrote some sort of jewel… for Newcastle. Nowhere near for us. But for Newcastle, it would be an evolution in the name of player they have been able to attract in recent times, and would also be getting a player from a massive team in the Prem. So they would be like the cat that got the cream over it. Hypothetically, obviously.

1 Like

Were rumours of us having scouts at a recent Porto game. Evanilson was suggested as one of the players they might be there to look at but could well be this lad.

2 Likes

Saw a similar article on a site called Rousing the Kop. One paragraph caught my eye:

The last bit made me really happy. I worked for a while in leadership consulting and we helped companies hire Board Members and CXOs etc. Our foremost criteria for picking the best candidate was culture and personality fit. We actually had a ton of data that showed that the best hiring and team outcomes were strongly correlated to the person’s personality and how well it fit and molded the existing team’s culture.

I genuinely think this has been our secret superweapon over the last few years. Long may it continue!

5 Likes

https://www.si.com/soccer/liverpool/transfers/liverpool-have-agreement-in-principal-to-sign-fabio-carvalho

Either the links in the article are wrong or this article is using itself to confirm a post made last month by the author of this article. The ultimate ITK Inception.

1 Like

Seems easy to talk in self congratulatory circles for journalists with the Carvalho deal.

He was all but signed in January. Just missed the deadline, as we all know. Yet relations with Fulham remained cordial, and they got Neco on loan in separate business. We also did business with them for Elliott and Wilson.

Most thought the deal was all but wrapped up, but wouldn’t be announced until the permitted time. Human nature means that we second guess everything, and imagine ways in which it might not matriculate.

Still, if I’m a journalist, or some sort of social media ‘expert red’, I would shout the Carvalho deal from the rooftops and then say “see, I told you” to congratulate myself and try to boost my reputation. That’s what appears to be happening with Carvalho at this point, though as ever, let’s see.

4 Likes