The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

About as vague as it goes that. They can have Morton mind who probably would benefit from the loan spell at this level.

1 Like

Bad news Joyce, the fucker.

1 Like

Itā€™s not about numbers, itā€™s about quality.
Only three of them are top quality.
Naby is an enigma.
Jones, Elliott and Carvalho are works in progress.
Milner is Milner.
Morton needs a loan spell.

5 Likes

Looking at a Sub at best though. Unless you have Fabinho missing half the games.

Would not surprise me if itā€™s the U23s that play the league cup. A fair few arenā€™t going to the World Cup which also helps and if they do how much they play will be a question too.

Klopp wonā€™t leave us short after that season with defenders. Milner was fine in the number six in a second string team against Soton and thatā€™s most of the league to be honest, itā€™s also Hendoā€™s best position I feel.

5 Likes

My major issue is when Thiago goes down but who is going be as good as Thiago but happy to sit out 2/3rds of a season?

I trust that Klopp has evaluated the squad and not gone off losing one final at the end of the season.

Personally think we will move to 4231 this season, which suits a player like Nunez, also fits well with Elliot/Carvalho, Jones evenā€¦

This then means 6 midfielders is more than enough.

They are more than good enough for 75% of the league opponents weā€™ll face. I expect to see them all get a good amount of minutes after a strong pre-season. Easily forgotten it was Elliot who started the season as the right sided midfielder till he got injured.

4 Likes

Who is in the 2 though? Only really Fabinho, Thiago and Henderson and they are all injury prone.

Thiago, Fabinho, Henderson, Keita, Elliot, Jones, Milner can all play in a double pivot.

When Thiago and Fabinho play together they basically play as a two anyway, the right sided midfielder is typically out on the right wing with Mo in the box!!

1 Like

Although Joyce has said we are willing to wait until next year to sign a midfielder, I donā€™t think it rules us out of doing so this window. Never really know if it is just our way of lowering expectations of selling clubs around prices.

8 Likes

Weā€™ve always said weā€™d move if the right opportunity presented itself.

Right now weā€™re done it seems, but if a player we wanted was to agitate for a move or suddenly become available weā€™d definitely get involved.

6 Likes

And weā€™ve made a statement to Bellingham, we will wait for youā€¦ We did it for Van Dijk. The right players love that shit.

5 Likes

All indications are Klop has already said he wants Bellingham, but having just sold Haaland, Dortmund werenā€™t willing to sell another massive asset in the same window, so we are waiting till next summer - something Klopp has no problem with (waiting for the right player rather than moving quickly for someone that he is not completely sold on)

5 Likes

The closest player to Thiago (statistically) who doesnā€™t expect to play every game is genuinely Naby Keita. I don;t think they are that close in terms of quality but thatā€™s mostly because a fit Thiago is miles ahead of everyone.

2 Likes

Could be precisely but Iā€™m more concerned about the outgoings, to be honest. That Joyce piece says:

ā€œThe club is awaiting a third bid from Bayern Munich for Sadio ManĆ©, while Monaco and Lyon are talking to the representatives of Takumi Minamino.ā€

Not many words on Oxlade-Chamberlain except that he will allowed to leave this summer.

1 Like

But your just bringing in another Keita, no one of Thiagoā€™s quality is going come in and be happy to play 15-20 games.

2 Likes

Think we will see a lot more of Elliot this season. Remember he started a fair few games (ie I have no numbers!) before he got injured last season. After another pre season I think he will be ready to pick up the mantel on that right side channel on a more full time bases. Also expect to see Hendo used at number 6 a lot more and put more pressure on Fab.

2 Likes

To be fair I forgot about Keita. I was thinking about him as one of the 3.

1 Like

Heā€™s more of an AM or false 9 from what Iā€™ve seen.

Which again feeds into the idea of a move - for some games at least - to 4231

Alisson

Trent, Matip, Virgil, Robbo

Fab, Thiago

Mo, Firmino, Diaz

Nunez

Looks pretty strong to me.

Second XI would look something like:

Kelleher

Ramsay, Gomez, Konate, Tsimi

Hendo, Keita

Elliott, Carvalho, Jones

Jota

(I think it more likely Jota and Carvalho back up Diaz than Jones, but didnā€™t want to repeat names in the second lineup, and we have lots of versatile players anyway who can play in multiple positions)

3 Likes