The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

He played as part of a “2” for Red Bull I believe.

That’s what I mean, we already have just about as good a replacement for Thiago as we can have. I’d love us to buy another midfielder this summer but that was when Tchouameni was a target. If the best available now is Sangare I’d rather sit tight and buy someone next season.

6 Likes

Yeah I’m happy with our options, I also hope Elliott returns looking as sprightly as he did. I think Klopp may want to see how it looks with Darwin as well. If the player they want does become available I have no doubt we will move but I happy with this squad going into next season.

2 Likes

Not too mention Bellingham is 18 another season playing with Dortmund won’t hurt him. Certainly get more games there than he will with us.

He will be a great player but he wouldn’t be in-front of our current midfield 3 barring injury just yet so probably better for his development to stay and play a key roll with Dortmund than a rotationary role with us.

Would affect whether he’s considered club-grown right?

Just wondering why everyone is so confident about Bellingham. Is there any concrete evidence of our interest in him or his desire to join us?

1 Like

Hmm, so the Unreliable Rumors have turned into Enlightened Analysis.

Spanish outlet retweeted by Empire of the Kop is saying us and Real are trying to sign him now for 100m euros for a transfer next summer.

I’d expect nothing less from you sir.

Some random thoughts:

Keita and Jones have both had little spells in a 2 when Klopp has changed it with subs and both have done well. The 4231, 424 or whatever you want to call it was used by Klopp a few times last season and it appears to be even more of a viable option now.

Whilst there is scope for improving the midfield, I don’t see the problem with Jones or Elliot being relied on to be 5th or 6th choice. I’m pretty happy with that actually, and we’re yet to see what Carvalho can do. No point having these young talents it we won’t ‘rely’ on them at some point.

Moving Trent into midfield is also another wildcard option available to Klopp, especially since Gomez has shown some real promise again at right back and we’ll see what Ramsay can do.

Tchouameni would have been perfect given his talent and skillset, but let’s not panic and buy a poor imitation. If we’re confident of getting Bellingham next year then we’ll probably keep our powder dry.

I could also imagine Dortmund being interested in Naby next season.

6 Likes

Fair point , the only difference between the lineup when thiago and fabinho start together compared to the 4-2-3-1 is whether the third midfielder is a #8 or #10.

1 Like

Apparently Graeme Souness is available on a free :love_you_gesture:

I think it will be yet a tweak of a system where we play 4-3-3 against attacking teams and 4 2 3 1 against low block teams where we need numbers up front. And again the only major difference between the two formations is whether its a 8 or a 10. I daresay if coutinho had stayed in liverpool , klopp would have played 4231 more often. We have plenty of #8 but only one attacking midfielder coming in now with carvalho.

Often with the low block teams which attack on the counter , we are caught because we only seem to have one midfielder blocking the central defenders.

That gives a sniff of a chance to the other side. Most of the time we do get away with it because of how great our cbs are ( konate and gomez included) …

I reckon pep with shitty feels along the same lines. Which is why both the teams have gone with a traditional #9 and preferably a change in formation.

I think Bobby will play well as a no10 under Klopp - he practically plays like one anyway even when ostensibly the CF…

4 Likes

I expect that too. He with carvalho as his understudy should create havoc with the opposition defense allowing more freedom to the attacking players up front.

1 Like

Anyway , talk of formations and all … I expect pepjin and klopp would be laughing at us fm geeks. The game play is all about transitions and overloading the respective areas depending on game situations.

Which is why in klopp’s system , we see our two most prolific goalscorers in mo and mane even come back and help defensively.

I think that the stats will bear me out but we under klopp have become very good (second only to city in all of europe) with posession football as well…

Just a matter of how deep a reader of the game klopp really is. People seem to have him pegged down as a relentless gegenpresser but right now , he’s evolved that into a form of phased wise pressing as in players only pressing who they seem is vulnerable.

Yes and I think Nunez will play further forward, this means there is space for a “between the lines” type of no.10.

Yep this is my view, he’d be ideal as a no.10 this then lets Nunez/Jota play more in the box.

1 Like