The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Serge Gnabry is a very good, big time player. Not sure if there’s anything in the rumour, and it would seem strange if we paid a fee for him now, and kept Mo on the books for next season too.

In a post-Mo world, I would be happy with this group of forwards:

Diaz, Nunez, Gnabry, Jota, Firmino, Carvalho.

4 Likes

Doubt there is anything but wouldn’t rule us moving before Salah goes, saves trying to potentially replace two next summer

1 Like

If Bobby and Mo leave next summer we could go for Gnabry on a free and bring in Bowen too.

It was high time anyone linked us with Gnabry. Logic says that it’s been quite some time since we got a good player on a free, while we lost quite a few in the meantime (all of whom combined are probably not even close to Salah in terms of value and what he’ll bring to his next club).

That said, for me, Gnabry will always be the player who failed to make it at Arsenal and who Tony Pulis deemed unfit for purpose - so these two things even themselves out, I guess. I could live with him coming to Liverpool for a reasonable sum of money, though, but let’s just say that I doubt that a newspaper like Sport can know about an English club’s interest in a German club’s player before German media in the least.

1 Like

Did he fail? I got the impression they wanted to keep him, but he didnt want to stay ?

3 Likes

Agreed.
But then, Salah failed to make it at Chelsea, so no fears there.

8 Likes

Thing with Gnabry is he’s right footed, as are all our other forward types bar Mo. If we want to keep playing with inverted wingers and are looking for a Mo replacement, surely we need a left footer?

Or would we look to have a bit more of an asymmetrical attack where the right forward plays in a more traditional “winger” style way allowing Trent to tuck in more as he has been doing.

I think he’s a great player but he’s not a like for like replacement for Mo so it would mean some kind of change in the way we play. It’d also be great to watch an ex-Arsenal player, someone they think they might be able to tempt back, come here and start scoring against them.

1 Like

I doubt we will find an actual replacement for Mo.
As you suggest, it will mean an alternative to our current method of playing

Yes, I think that’s already in play with the Nunez signing. It opens up more possibilities in terms of type of winger we replace Salah with, when most likely he isn’t the one who will be expected to be primary goalscorer.

I can’t stand it when commentators say Gnabry like GaNabry….it irritates me a lot. It’s pronounced Nabry like Gnome not GaNome.

For that reason alone I don’t want him back in English Football, bad enough on a European night listening to Darren Fletcher

I couldn’t give a flying fuck what anyone calls him, if we got him for a decent price

1 Like

Ahem …
Arsenal winger Serge Gnabry has told fans how to pronounce his tricky name. A fan asked in a Q&A about his surname. He answered: “In Germany it’s GER-NAB-REE - you do pronounce the G!”

6 Likes

Just offering the view that the way our forwards operate is changing. Diaz could be a like for like Mane from the left sort of player, but Nunez changes everything. Now there’s a sharp point to the spear, although he can also play off the left.

As ever, clever movement and interplay will be key, and Carvalho might surprise there too, as he integrates.

With the changes in personnel, we won’t necessarily be looking for a left footer like Mo to cut in from the right. And at that point, if right footers are under consideration too, the pool of potential talent is much larger.

Gnabry would be a good signing. He can be versatile too, and while he is right footed, his left foot is not just for standing on!

2 Likes

That was in German….

So what is it in English then?

:joy: do you change your name when you go to Germany?

1 Like

Germans don’t understand the concept of silent letters as in their language every letter is pronounced, which makes words like ‘psychologie’ an absolute Albtraum.
Gnabry looks like a name with African roots, unless I’m mistaken, and thus not subject to German or English pronunciation rules.

2 Likes

Real Madrid to make Bellingham their main target next summer according to some reports.

Suspect it’s BS - they’ve got a full compliment of young, quality, central midfielders in their ranks - including Tchoumeni, who they beat us to. Can’t they just fuck off.

1 Like

Who knows, wouldn’t be the first time in history that Real changes a young stat for another. It’s what Real do, in any era. Maybe not Tchouameni, but Camavinga. Main target sounds a bit exaggerated. We’ll see when we get there. I’m sure we won’t have Bellingham as our only option. Maybe he will want us also.

1 Like

Ucking astards

1 Like

Not getting by hopes up over Gnabry, not a chance.

Can’t see Bayern selling…the dude’s entering his prime years.

1 Like