The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

He gives the impression of wanting to be the main man. Not at all like Div or Taki.

1 Like

Depay is on big wages. And we already have 6 forwards, and in addition to that Gordon will be trying to see some cup action if he can too.

I think Depay is a good player and we could get a tune out of him, but it doesnā€™t make sense and I canā€™t see it happening.

This is the year where Nunez and Diaz bed in and start to come to the fore, Salah continues at his incredible world class level, Jota continues to play well, Carvalho emerges and a fit Bobby adds great value and keeps a few on their toes.

We have lots of options and while thereā€™s more to Depay than he showed at Man Utd and Barcelona, even though we could tease it out I donā€™t think it will happen. Weā€™ve already got an amazing group of forwards.

The irony being, he is apparently a Liverpool supporter, so I doubt he would go to them.

But if he were to do a Frankie De Jong and dick them around till the end of the transfer window before refusing them, I could get on board with that

3 Likes

People like Aaron Lennon and Jermaine Pennant are one-dimensional.

Sterling was among our (rare) best players in his final 14/15 season when he was used not only as a winger, but right wing back, striker and second striker.

Saka also played multiple positions so far in his career, from everything down the left, more central in midfield or now on the right.

Donā€™t think you do so many things if youā€™re one-dimensional.

7 Likes

We were all salivating over a 20 year old Raheem in 14/15 big future, build the squad around him etc etc

Saka exceeded Sterlings output at the same age last season. Think youā€™d be hard pressed to find many better in his position at his age.

5 Likes

Sterling was underrated not over, he was absolutely brilliant still is tbh. Understand heā€™s a snake to us now and always will be but there should be no denying his ability.

1 Like

I still donā€™t get why he was a snake to leave that god awful Liverpool side with a manager he didnā€™t like and at 19 had already had a full season as the best player on the team.

He traded a Liverpool team on the downslope with Brendan Rodgers as manager for being a key player at Man City with Pep Guardiola. It was a no brainer honestly.

8 Likes

Definitely. Head made the decision and canā€™t argue it was a wrong one. Iā€™d have loved him back, great player.

1 Like

For me heā€™s a snake because he was willing to stay if we paid him Ā£200k a week, or at least I remember it was being said at the time.

If footballing reasons were the main consideration I doubt many would be calling him a snake.

Yeah people can get upset about different things and plenty seem to in regards to Sterling. If the situation genuinely was ā€œIā€™m leaving unless you pay me Ā£200k to stay in this garbage fireā€ then I can relate to that too.

If I didnā€™t like my job and a great employer came along then Iā€™d want to leave and go thereā€¦ If the job I donā€™t like want to keep me Iā€™d probably make some ridiculous salary proposal as well, after all Iā€™d be sacrificing a move to a good environment to stay in one that isnā€™t good.

Assuming what we heard about Sterlingā€™s situation was correct then he (or his agent) just made a similar calculation.

Also part of the equation is that itā€™s not like he was ā€œone of our ownā€. He came through the academy but we signed him from QPR. In the course of 4 years he went from the U16s to the first team to our best player and sold for Ā£50m to the best team in the country. Itā€™s a success story in many ways.

8 Likes

I think with Sterling itā€™s a case where more than 1 thing can be correct. You can understand his reasons at that time for wanting to leave while also find the way he manipulated his exit to have been shitty.

4 Likes

Sterling, Suarez, Coutinho are all perfect examples where they have did well as players for us but I will never welcome them back at the club and if there is a list of most respected Liverpool players, these 3 will be somewhere near the bottom of that list.

1 Like

Yes, the actions of his agent during that time, and his comments about arsenal in the interview didnā€™t go down well with the fanbase. Iā€™m on the side that would have been open to him coming back, but understand fully why many fans wouldnā€™t be.

1 Like

Weā€™ve gone through this a lot of timesā€¦

For me, the only problematic bit was that interview with BBC. At that time, I think he was working with that agent, canā€™t remember his name.

Him being ambitious? No problem. Him perhaps seeing whatā€™s happening; Suarez left a year before, Sturridge not fit, Gerrard slowing down/leaving and us placing hopes in Jordon Ibe and Lazar Markovicā€¦ he probably saw in a few training sessions that theyā€™re not on his level.

That 14/15 season I think only Hendo, Coutinho and him were consistently on a high level. All others fell short.

I think thereā€™s also a part on our side that we didnā€™t get it sorted sooner.

He was very good for us and he went on to achieve great things. Shame we couldnā€™t keep him a little longer, because Iā€™m sure Klopp wouldā€™ve loved to have him when he took over a few months later. But we also got a top fee at the time considering the situation. So I have no issues with him.

2 Likes

I think he has said that he would have stayed had Klopp been there, or if he knew he was on his way.

1 Like

After a crazy ā€˜almostā€™ 13/14 season, we really did a lot of stupid stuff in a short space of time.

From losing Suarez to ending up choosing between Balotelli or Etoā€™o to replace him. Having then Balotelli, Lambert and Borini. Sterling playing as a striker ahead all of them options in the second part of the season. Then after all that, going strong for someone like Benteke. Just no sense at all.

Itā€™s no wonder he thought weā€™re not going in the right direction here and perhaps he can go somewhere competitive/winning straight away.

1 Like

Emre Can did absolutely nothing for this club, whinged to the German media that Klopp didnā€™t play him often enough (he had played the third most minutes that season) then left on a free at a time when we were rebuilding and needed cash. For some reason he is never criticised for how he left.

5 Likes

Probably because people have already more or less forgotten about him. Less emotional baggage.

5 Likes

Wasnā€™t he signed by Pellegrini?

2 Likes

I have no issues with Emre, either.

Thought him and Origi were actually rare positive transfers at the time, considering where we were and getting two young players for really decent fees.

He was not a top player, but certainly was part of Klopp slowly turning things around, I donā€™t remember him being a problem in his final season (like Gini), he was giving his all on the pitch until he got injured near the end of the season. Had some quality performances as the holding midfielder at the time.

3 Likes