The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Defenders can typically play a few more years into their 30s, but since he appears to be pushing his level to come to Liverpool as it is, I think we are just hoping he can do a decent Fabinho impression for a year or two and by then Bajcetic will be ready…

Clearly a stop gap and suggests we really don’t like the options and prices for DMs after our fun with Caicedo and Lavia… certainly not the dumbest thing to do at the price.

3 Likes

Without watching the obligatory 10 matches, Infact even 1, I have no knowledge of Hendo the 2nd.
As you suggest it appears to be a stop gap. I have no issue with this, if he can actually be an addition to the 1st team. Although it is not ideal, I would rather sign a player who has experience in the role than blow a load of money trying to force force through a transfer on someone they are not sure about.

2 Likes

Liverpool have bid 18m for Endo.

This is the Endo the Road for our transfer window and any remaining top 4 ambitions!

OOF!

3 Likes

Hate to break it to you, it’s not 5m. It’s 18m. OOF!

1 Like

Maybe a replacement for Hendo?

I’m fine with that. Still leaves the bulk of the money from the sale of Hendo and Fabinho available for other signings.

I still believe we get top four and have a great chance of winning the Europa League this season.

1 Like

I wouldn’t class Caicedo and Lavia as world class either

6 Likes

The price tag seemed to make some think they were,although 1 is an excellent player while the other looks an excellent prospect.

1 Like

Why can’t we convert Quansah to a No6 he did well in preseason?

Fucking hell, the beeb is running with this now:

Wait till @legalalien wakes up and sees this :rofl:

2 Likes

I have to admit that I’m now warming up to this move. Obviously, the nature of the fee and the contract will be important, but if he can play a role like Klavan did for us at the time, then it will be worth it.

But again, why leave it so late? That’s the question. It would have been so much better to have this lad around a month ago or so. Now he has to adapt to a new country, language, city, club, league within a minute.

1 Like

The quote from the Brighton boss was something like ‘Caidcedo might be one of the worlds best midfielders one day’.

Because we wouldnt have use for him if someone like Lavia or Caicedo came?

1 Like

I don’t know to be honest. These three players have widely diverging profiles.

Because this clearly is a fall back move. You dont make a fall back move until the things you’d prefer to have done are dead ends.

It wouldnt surprise me though if part of the thinking is that this fall back strategy has other steps. The other being now spending more money on the defense (Ignacio) than we were planning on had our midfield priorities been viable

4 Likes

I’m keeping an open mind on Endo.

We went all in on Caicedo and he chose Chelsea. People criticized the club, and criticized big Jörg because even the most casual football fan knew that Caicedo was a pretty good defensive midfielder.

Where’s the scouting? Where’s the knowledge of the German market? Where’s the canny deal?

Well, this deal might represent all those things, and if it goes through we will see if the fella can play, and at that point, good luck to him.

People who know the German market and have seen him play say he covers the ground and gets his tackles in, that he is a leader, versatile enough to play in defence in a pinch too, and won’t let anyone down. (I don’t think I’d want to see him in defence in the Prem! But he is primarily a midfielder).

If we sign him it will be unheralded, but it’s all about the team, not the individual. MacAllister and Szoboszlai are great signings. Trent is imperious on the ball. If this fella is the legs to come in to enable that trio, and others, to do their work, bring it on.

If we sign him, will there be another midfielder, or will this mean we will look to bring Bajcetic through? If we sign him, will we use the funds we have to sign a good central defender before the window closes too?

I’m keeping an open mind, intrigued as to what we might do.

5 Likes

Remember at a time when we were not so fussy and we got Matip for free and a Klavan for £4M how many trophies did Matip help us win? Give this guy a chance and it is late in the window and everyone is trying to shaft us if we get Gravenberch and Thuram as well I’ll be happy with that

5 Likes

Endo now and Andre in January?

5 Likes

Well he will have 8 years to prove that but I don’t think Pocchettino will wait that long maybe 2 years if they’re lucky