The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

From today’s BBC gossip column:

Tottenham have been told Red Bull Salzburg and Zambia forward Patson Daka, 21, wants to stay in Austria.

They didn’t finish it: “until Liverpool come knocking”

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure 15 mil would be the price most clubs are looking at him for. I do wonder what price is Edwards putting out there for Wilson?

Pearce post-match comments on transfers:

The club’s position is that they don’t feel under pressure to go and buy another CB. Klopp really impressed with Koumetio and happy to play Fabinho there when needs must. Privately, they are still assessing their options in the market. I’d be surprised if the window shut without another CB coming in. Would be a major risk in my opinion considering the schedule and Matip’s injury record.

It won’t change anything. Gordon, Edwards and Klopp don’t ever make knee-jerk decisions. A lot will depend on what happens with selling fringe players over the coming weeks.

1 Like

Exactly what I was expecting.

Won’t do anything unless something happens until October.

When the window closes it will re-open after a few months in January where we could also react to injuries.

2 Likes

Some of us have pointed out a few times that Fabinho could well be our 4th choice CB. With some talented young players in the pecking order behind him and a strong central midfield (could become stronger with a possible Thiago addition) we would be fine in CM when he plays in defence. If we can’t find the perfect long term CB signing I don’t think we will buy one. Someone young with the potential of overtaking Matip in the pecking order over the next year or so and become a real challenger to Gomez for a couple of years. Then as VvD winds down Gomez and the new guy start becoming the new first choice starters. If we can’t find the perfect guy to start that process with this summer maybe the process is a year or two longer with one of our academy kids being the young guy and Fabinho filling in (when needed, maybe 10-20 games a season in all comps for one or two years) till then.

Would have liked to quote your post and reply in the Gomez thread like it was possible in TIA but I don’t know if and how this works here.

I will always prefer Matip over Gomez but that’s very tight.

Also, I’m not seeing leader qualities in Gomez - not now and not in the future. He is too calm, too introverted for that and doesn’t have the presence.

1 Like

“I can’t tell you my source because I made it up”

8 Likes

After his good performance with England I would bring back Coady he was very vocal and marshal led the England defense Well

1 Like

With 3 years left on his contract he is too expensive now.

Next year he could be a great option as Matip replacement (if he wants to leave) or if one of Matip, VvD (:scream:) or Gomez suffer a long term injury with bad timing.

3 Likes

There’s a similarity taking shape with what’s going on here and Jürgen’s time at Dortmund. Obviously LFC are in a much more comfortable financial position than Dortmund, even with Covid related setbacks, but the similarities are there if you look close enough. Clubs around us are spending more money than ever to take the power back away from us, and we continue to find new ways to develop the talent we have in-house.

The following is an excerpt from a piece written on The Athletic this week about The Boss’s time in Dortmund and how He plans to not only defend our title this year, but attack it. At the risk of sounding overly dramatic it does begin to sound similar to what’s happening here. I subscribe to the Athletic so I won’t paste the entire article, but I found this bit rather poignant:

At the very height of their powers, they then humiliated Bayern in the German cup final, a triumphant 5-2 win that had newspapers earnestly proclaiming” a power-shift” in domestic football.

But instead, that night in Berlin marked rather an end of sorts. Dortmund did go on to contest the Champions League final in the following season, losing to Bayern, but never came remotely close to such perfection again domestically.

The red empire of Bavaria struck back by investing heavily into their squad, copying key components of Klopp’s innovative ways and lastly striking at the very heart of Klopp’s side, luring Mario Gotze (in 2013) and then Robert Lewandowski (in 2014) from their rivals.

Financially, Dortmund were in no position to halt this onslaught. Klopp’s pressing and counter-pressing system had also been widely adopted throughout the league and partially blunted by smaller sides sitting deep in their own half. Each season, Dortmund lost some of their explosive edge. A lack of footballing progress beyond the novelty factor from 2010-12 turned into downright regression.

By 2015-16, the back-to-back champions were all but gone as a team. Along with the coach who had led them.

My point in all this is NOT that I hope the Club go to market and spend frivolously to keep up, my hope is the club always backs The Boss in whatever he needs. He is a treasure and we are lucky to have him.

10 Likes

I believe that FSG folks are good students of history, and would know the proper way forward.
(May be accused of drinking the Kool Aid.)

6 Likes

Agreed @CanuckoLFC. I want to like your post but I have to wait another hour til my likes replenish! :innocent:

1 Like

I believe you have to click on the reply symbol and then click on the speech balloon in the top left corner of the reply box thing. As I just have.
Click on the speech balloon before you start typing in order to put the quote above your reply.

3 Likes

I think Klopp’s Dortmund issues were not buying players, more keeping the ones they had. Bayern would pick off their best ones year after year.

Klopp didn’t need or want huge backing in the market. He just wanted to keep his team together. FSG have delivered that and it’s actually where all the money has gone (John).

At the same time, I think such is Klopps standing at the club, if he really had need to do business FSG would back him. I think it’s inconceivable they would risk pissing off Klopp at this point.

What more likely is that Klopp Edwards and FSG are entirely on the same page regarding spending money.

10 Likes

I’d actually go further than than this.

If Koumetia has joined Van Den Berg and Hoever in being really rated by the club, the. It’s actually damaging to bring in anything other than a veteran cover CM.

2 Likes

LOL. Yeah our reliance on our Front 3 will be our Downfall… Said NOBODY after Salah scored a HAT TRICK to power our 4-3 win over Leeds United! Journos produce such RUBBISH!

Read the same and thought - meh, it’s the daily express. No chance they would even know what day of the week it is, let alone what transfer targets clubs would be planning - especially a foreign club

5 Likes

I think the way things ended at Dortmund led many people to think Klopp couldnt adapt to the changes he faced, but we can see from his time here that isnt true. He has been somewhat flexible and is smart enough to adapt where we need to.

1 Like

Klopp isn’t the type to demand anything though. Even if he is desperate to refresh the front three or sign Thiago he wouldn’t make a big deal over it. That’s not who he is.

2 Likes

Define demand. Plenty of key people at Dortmund have spoken on his willingness to state his case in very strong terms.

He understands the limitations he and the club works under - that doesnt make him some patsy.

10 Likes