Trent Alexander-Arnold (RB) Real Madrid

Being a captain of a team full of leaders all pulling together in the same direction.

Can’t speak for others on here but maybe some including me are a little half arsed after the departures of Cou, Torres, Mane etc.

We all blew up at the time with what proved to be a good sell and we all move on. Suarez an obvious exception. OK TAA could leave on a free after close to legendary status but it won’t be the end of the world.

6 Likes

Disappointing, though.

If he leaves it will be all the fault of FSG.

If he stays he will be likened to Carra, Gerrard for his loyalty.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the (unfair) criticism he receives from the English media is playing a part in his decision making. Not only do we get the “Trent can’t defend” bollocks on MOTD every week, but he appears to have become a bit of a scapegoat for the national team, too.

7 Likes

I do agree with you, but probably the only media harsher on an Englishman than the English media is the Madrid media. Maybe he can hide in the shadow of Bellingham’s honeymoon, but the Madrid media really are scum, and they’ll turn on Bellingham as soon as they get a chance.

If Trent is bothered by media, he might be savaged in Madrid.

8 Likes

Real Madrid come in for Trent and want him to become their latest galactico, and meanwhile, Liverpool fans on here are bickering about Trent’s inability to defend, he isn’t that good, he hasn’t made any meaningful progress since years etc. etc. :rofl:

3 Likes

For me… some of TAAs interviews come off as conceit and thinking he is more important than he really is.

Yes, he is a great player but I don’t think we have gotten the best out of him. Is he indispensable? Do his strengths outweigh his deficiencies enough to justify making him our highest or 2nd highest earner?

I would think that the data probably suggests otherwise. And probably we have made him a very good offer but he thinks higher of himself.

2 Likes

Real are interested in the optionality: sign him free to fill a need at RB. If that works great, more money to splurge elsewhere; if it doesn’t they’ll flog him back to whichever English club will pay the king’s ransom they’ll demand. Hate those Franco fucks

3 Likes

Nail. Head.

Anyone who thinks we haven’t made Trent a very good offer is kidding themselves.

7 Likes

Of course but it’s timing. 2 years ago as he was being made vice captain was the time to make that same big offer and sign him or don’t give him v/c. Then obviously we had recruitment issues and Klopp announcement but it all needed to be done before he was given the vice role and down as a package.

1 Like

It would appear to be usual for contract negotions to begin roughly around 18 months/2 years before expiry. He signed his last deal in July 21 i think, so its harsh to criticize or expect the club to issue him a new deal in '22 as well.

2 Likes

Yeah, nah. If he was going to get vice then another 5 year contract then for a little more would have fixed this situation. You have to strike when the iron is hot, man!

What is noticable, RM have not placed a substantial offer on the table for TAA - and why should they if they can get him for zilch in 2025
However, paying nothing for him, means they are not under any pressure to play him - he could simply be earmarked as a super-sub, to influence events after 80mins.
Grass is not always greener Trent, think long and hard eh

Real have spent 2 years putting off their clear issue at RB because they were biding their time waiting for the target they wanted to become available rather than bringing in someone less able in the short term that might impede their ability to land their primary target.

2 Likes

And there’s been no tapping up involved.

Sincero.

2 Likes

If we all take our Liverpool hats off, where would you rather live and work, Liverpool or Madrid? There’s really only is one answer and I can guess who’s going to get it wrong.

The wankers won’t be doing it this week

1 Like

What do you mean? He was quite clearly at fault for the goal we conceded. And the goals that Arsenal conceded. And the goals that…

1 Like

Sancho 1 on 1 with Trent was where all of Chelsea’s attack went to die until Neto came on and gave Trent a little more of a game.

But yeah, the script was written years ago so a quality defensive performance like today from Trent won’t be acknowledged and the knives will stay sharp for the next time he gets beat or caught out of position.

4 Likes