Virgil VAN DIJK: 2023/24

oops…

Forgot about most of his goals to be honest with you…more than i thought he’d scored.

Obviously is debut goal sticks in the mind, as does his goal against Bayern.

Legend.

1 Like

Involved in a goal every 6-7 games in his time here so far.

:slight_smile:

For or against?

3 Likes

Still THE best defender by a country mile

FIFY

1 Like

https://x.com/_pauljoyce/status/1751938610540990670?s=20

Let’s not do this Virg

He has 1 year on his contract after this summer. The summer he turns 33 so next summer 34.

Is it wise to extent?

Extending TAA is my number 1 priority

1 Like

The Liverpool captain was initially reluctant to speak about the fallout from Klopp’s decision, having given an interview to the club’s media channels on Saturday, but was then asked if he saw himself being part of the next era. “That’s a big question,” the 32-year-old said. “Well, I don’t know.”

When it was then put to him that he had 18 months left on his deal, Van Dijk, who has been in imperious form this season as the team fight on four fronts, replied: “That is correct — good maths. Listen, I don’t know.

“The club will have a big job on their hands. That is well known. To replace the manager and replace not only the manager, the staff is leaving, and there are so many things that will change. So the club has a big job on its hands and I am very curious which direction that will go in. But when that will be announced we will see our situation. I can’t say much about it.”

“Obviously it will be the end of Jürgen Klopp’s era,” he said. “I am very glad that I am still part of it. That is why I don’t like to speak about it. I am still part of it.

“That is my main focus and we will see at the end of the season. Hopefully, we have the success that we all dream of and fight for each day and, by then, there will probably be more clarification for what the club wants for the future and then we will see.”

It’s very natural that some of these players will have a good think what to do. The club also.

2 Likes

Well, of course he doesn’t know. He has 18 months left on his contract, is 32 and the new gaffer might have different idea’s.He probably means it in a way that he doesn’t know what the new manager will have planned.

7 Likes

Maybe he will want also a different challenge for the last part of his career. Because his career went in a weird way, getting to the top level of club and international football only when he was 26-27. It was always going to be a battle with time for him, to really enjoy and give his all at the top. Obviously both sides will have their opinion, maybe even more than just two (the new manager’s opinion might not be that of the club). I’m not going to be surprised if Virgil wants to try out another big club.

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1751942499646484920

Where would he, or any of the players go?
There are few, if any, clubs that would be a step up from Liverpool.

I can’t see why he’d go,maybe Spain or Germany just to try out somewhere different while still playing for titles.

Klopp was right. They’re already trying to use this to create distractions.

9 Likes

Or maybe Van Dijk, the club captain, is speaking for his dressing room and trying to get club’s owners to offer him and his teammates clarification over their next move? I’ve been working for the same company for ten years and it changed owners twice. Both times, my colleagues and I went to our superiors to ask them for their honest opinion and whether we should start looking for another job. As it turned out, we had nothing to worry about but Liverpool is on an incomparably bigger scale.

1 Like

There is absolutely nothing newsworthy in Virgil’s response at all.

He is at a stage of his contract where they should be discussing what happens next, but the circumstances at the club mean that is now not happening. He genuinely doesnt know what will happen next and he isnt saying anything with that response that anyone didnt already know.

5 Likes

Virgil needs to gather every player at the club en masse, and ask Jurgen And Ulla to stay for one more season
To remind them the hard work has been done with the recruitment. His juggernaut is revving up nicely now, and and lets see if the club can’t win everything on offer, including another CL…
Party atmosphere at each game every single week, with the home fans and the travelling fans making it one last season to remember