Which CF do you want?

I still don’t think its a priority to go big on a traditional striker for us. We definitely want to get a forward preferably, but just for the sake of options, to get a player who might not be as mobile, means its not just a matter of putting a player in for another, it means the whole team has to adjust their style of play for the sake of that one player. I would rather another player that has the basic foundations of hardworking, mobile, dynamic and with above average speed and skills and come to be worked into our system.

Saw some videos of Boulaye Dia, seems like a very good player, and should come cheap too although alot of times French league players can flatter to deceive.

Other than that, I think I am all in when it comes to other options like Daka or Andre Silva or Malen, that is the kind of pedigree and level, whether in terms of price or skill or age that we are looking for. We are not looking for a superstar now, we are looking for a really good player who will be the next superstar, like we did for Salah, Mane, Firmino, Fabinho…

1 Like

Not only does he score goals but he can conduct weddings and christenings too.

5 Likes

Someone mentioned versatility for a striker so I gave him one :wink:

1 Like

Alisson does all the baptisms at LFC!

3 Likes

What sort of role are we looking for with the suggestions of striker on here? Someone who comes in to replace Bobby in the starting lineup? Someone to share 50-50 minutes between themselves and Bobby? Or someone to cover for Bobby when injured/ when needing a rest and coming on as a sub on the 77th minute?

There seems to be a perception that the number of goals scored by player X will directly translate to our team in season 21/22. If they are starting the majority of games, maybe they will reach this year’s heights. Maybe they’ll exceed them. But it wouldn’t be wise to have expectations of goals scored if they are coming off the bench. Tammy Abraham was mentioned a few days back. He scored 6 League goals this season just gone. 0 of them came from the 10 games he came on as sub. The season before in 19/20, he was subbed on 9 times and scored 2 goals in the League as a sub.

Coming on as a sub and being productive in terms of goals scored is really difficult. Even the two players that come to my mind as good subs forwards, OGS, Chicarito scored 85-90% of their goals across their careers at United as a starter and playing the full 90 minutes. Even Bale this season scored only 3 goals in the League from 10 matches playing as a sub. Jota? 4 League goals when coming off the subs bench this year.

I am not saying a particular player is a bad or good fit for us or whatever. If we are in for a CF to replace Origi we certainly want someone who has a history of scoring goals so that we know they aren’t a dud, but we need to reign in expectations of what they can actually produce if they are going to play limited minutes from the subs bench as it isn’t exactly a great source of goals.

1 Like

Lautaro Javier Martínez - 23yo - CF - 48 / 19 / 11

2 Likes

Precisely why Klopp and team don’t buy players for the sake of it and because we can and because everyone says they should. He balances the need of the club and team very well and had to make difficult decisions in difficult situations, and without the benefit of hindsight, you cannot say Klopp and the club had made many wrong decisions in the recruitment area. I think Klopp will go for a Jota type of signing for similar price range if a player and opportunity comes up because renewal is important, but he will not hesitate to wait if that kind of player does not present himself. But if Origi leaves, I believe he will go for a cheaper proven solution if that above player is not available.

3 Likes

Salah will miss a considerable number of games due to AFCON and Arab Cup, Firmino and Jota will be coming off from a pretty demanding Copa and Euro respectively, while there’s little hope left for the likes of Origi, Takumi, and Shaqiri.

Going into the 2021/22 season, I think we will need a new attacker.

5 Likes

Of the ones a notch down from Mbappe, Haaland and Sancho; Isak has caught my eye the most.

I wonder how much he would cost? If the cost pushes up to almost Sancho levels, the value might not be there. Still, he looks like a player with a big future.

I thought I read somewhere that Isak was either being priced at around 70m or that was the reported fee of his buyout clause.

Kingsley Coman being linked again.

I like him - but is he a CF?!

1 Like

Nah, winger. Had a very good season for Bayern but has had some serious injury issues in the recent past.

2 Likes

Proper winger, from either side, lacking in end product often, but one of the strongest in 1v1 situations.

2 Likes

Yep, I’d class him as a winger too (question was rhetorical).

Although I yearn for a proper CF, with attributes different to our current forward line up (someone tall!), still think Coman would be a decent signing. Both Jota and Salah have played through the middle before too.

Would also provide some succession on the wings with Mo and Sadio only getting older.

Still, for next season, I’d prefer a proper CF in to challenge Bobby.

I wish the club would just announce Vlahovic already.

1 Like

Elliot will be given a fair run at the wings i reckon before there’s a decision on a new winger.

About the CF - Lautaro , Isak , Vlahovic - anyone who can provide a direct approach to goal that isn’t one of Bobby’s strengths.

4 Likes

Dolberg? The guy who is playing for Denmark atm against Wales. He is strong, can hit the ball, hold it up, head it. He offers something different to the 4 we have.

1 Like

Never buy a player based on his performances at a tournament for his country.

Also, Nice paid €20m for him. He would cost more than Jota.

2 Likes

That’s why we signed El Haj Diouf and look how that turned out.

6 Likes

Think he was within spitting distance of being quite good.

2 Likes