Which CF do you want?

That’s for a different topic altogether, but par example what were Kenny’s other options other than Liverpool back in the day. I agree it was different than it is now, there was not so many movement, so many foreign players everywhere. And Liverpool in moden times either couldn’t afford or couldn’t attract. I just think as a whole, even if we decided surprisingly to “break the bank” for an Mbappe, he’d still most probably choose a Real over a Liverpool. I’m not saying we’re miles behind, maybe some other place some other time we might get a few of those. But I don’t see it yet.

Yeah, that’s in terms of playing CV and age. Although Thiago at 29 was always going to be an interesting one with his Bundesliga experience (great club in not the greatest league in the world), little injuries and probably past/just in his peak, but in his final years. We rarely pulled off a deal like that. But it just can’t be compared to something like Mbappe. And yeah, I agree, we don’t necessarily need the shiniest toys to be able to compete and win against clubs that have some of them.

1 Like

West Ham I think wasn’t it?

Absolutely agree with you on this.

For now, I’m very happy with our latest selection and decisions over players who are that level or two below. It’s been a combination of good selection/decisions off the pitch and fantastic use of tools/coaching on the pitch. It’s not like we did it with peanuts, but we sold very well, bought very well more often than not, used all of that very well, too. I’d love to live a day when we could really enter the race for an Mbappe here and there. Who wouldn’t? But yeah, for now, I don’t see it as realistic enough. Yet.

1 Like

Yeah whoever the club scouts they will have put proper analysis into it, and not signed on some odd whim (oh hello Rodgers and Benteke).

1 Like

Back then it was also a mix, but a bad one, full of weird decisions that altogether either didn’t make a lot of sense or ultimately wasn’t good enough on the pitch. It needs to be aligned.

1 Like

I always felt it was that they both got a signing each as you said it didn’t work and that was from both sides.

There was zero trust and respect for each other, you can tell that is there with Edwards and Klopp.

1 Like

Signed Caleta Carr this summer (2021) aswell as Daka. Did not replace Gini, wanted to get the best out of Naby and Curtis. Of course I managed that :lying_face::joy: signed Gravenberch the summer after (2022). Wanted Cambingva or however that’s spelt, but 60m was too steep. Wanted Haaland, he asked for 400k a week which I wouldn’t go over 250k a week for, ends up accepting 250k a week at Barca. Fuming. Won a few champions leagues though , only the one prem.

It certainly felt that way to me when we signed Torres, he was probably more like Halaand in that he was THE up and coming player of the day rather than fully established, but he had achieved a lot with Atletico already.

Conversely I remember thinking Suarez was over rated! :laughing: :laughing: Which is probably a cue for the rest of you to ignore anything I say on here!

2 Likes

Not sure if Torres was the player, I think he was part of a few who were highly promising at the time. I remember there were some little reservations about his record at Atletico, knowing that it was indeed Atletico and not one of the big two. It wasn’t an easy deal, we had to involve Luis Garcia in the end, but I think the likes of Mbappe and Haaland are much more wanted right now. Mbappe is especially now much more established having won and being key already in a number of trophies, club and international level. He’s ready for some time now, he doesn’t need another “step in between”, that was already done at Monaco (and somewhat at PSG) in his case.

Ha! I was the opposite with Suarez, I thought that was an absolute steal when we signed him. Fantastic opportunity, fantastic price (shame that we “ruined” it a little bit with the Carroll deal just a few days later, what a bloody contrast). Maybe his incident in Holland also affected the situation and made it possible. I’d like to know what other clubs were close to signing him apart from us and Tottenham. In my opinion, he already showed both at Ajax (albeit at lower European level) and for Uruguay that he belongs to a much higher level. I thought some more “winning clubs” would be involved. But that piece of business in January was fantastic from us. Sometimes it opens up. Even in January.

By the way, just say what you think. We’re all just fans here. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Love to get Sancho. If Mbappe isn’t available, Sancho and Sarr please.

If Mbappe is out of our range as I suspect then I wouldn’t be against Sancho, he is deffo the type that Klopp would improve and the way he plays I feel he suits us more than a Haaland who I’m still unsure of.

The likelihood is truth be told is that that Mane or Salah will go before Firmino which sort of means it would be more of an option than Haaland who I envisage will play centre.

However I expect we will probably sign someone on the fringes of debate.

He is within our range? How much is he going to cost? 70mil!!!

I think it will be Salah and it might be this summer.

…and that’s what’s going to happen.

Another left field option?

https://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/stuttgart-striker-sasa-kalajdzic-come-and-get-me-plea/3c6g17tw7gj1aq0dht9nqv2q

1 Like
3 Likes

Looks a bit like a Bundesliga Patrick Bamford, totally don’t see it.

3 Likes

If I could pick the body type of the CF we bring in it would be someone like Joelinton (also trying to jinx him for saturday).

1 Like

Why do we necessarily want a big lump like Joelinton? I thought we’ve outgrown that view that a big target man is the default solution. He’s got size, but we need to talk about other aspects.

Okay, we might want/need a purer number 9 (and he can be tall/strong), but we need someone who can also move, press and has some ability (can score goals, of course) because that’s how we play.

All that doesn’t have to be top notch, but he needs to have at least something in all those departments.

3 Likes

Sancho’s flashy shite would get on my tits after a while.

1 Like

Bamford has more to him than this lad.

1 Like