Console gaming thread

I understand that some people have these white or black box thingies that sit near their TV that allow them to play games. I’ve heard people talk about COD - some kind of fishing game, I take it? :wink:

In any case, discuss your TV box thingies here.

Any thoughts on next gen box thingies now that we have a price and details of release specs and date.

The PS5 looks like it is releasing with better games and has far superior exclusives coming soon. My last two consoles have been the 360 and the XB1 but I’m thinking this time I’ll switch over to PlayStation. Xbox’s Game Pass is better than the PlayStation equivalent but there’s just no exclusives I really care about on Xbox anymore, Halo and Gears used to be favourites of mine when I was younger but I kinda feel like those franchises have ran their course now. Microsoft have recently purchased Bethesda so it will be interesting to see what new ip’s they release in the future exclusive to Xbox but I imagine it will be years before we see them.

Spec wise they look pretty similar. Nothing really swings it either way in that regard. Both consoles are unfortunately pretty ugly looking as well.

1 Like

Yes, I think Microsoft have realised the difficulties they have in promoting the Xbox without exclusives and that has driven them into buying companies such as Bethesda now.

I too have had a natural affinity to the Xbox, but for the first time am considering the PS5 if i buy this generation because of the exclusives in particular its history of good RPGs.

1 Like

wow!

2 Likes
1 Like

Enviable work history :rofl:

1 Like

Anyone on here use a ps5?

1 Like

Not technically PC – PlayStation instead – but I wanted to successfully score 100+ goals in FIFA. The Old Trafford result a month ago today genuinely felt like a FIFA game, as in Salah scoring a hat trick and winning 5-0 (some thing I accomplished by the skin of my teeth on Legendary) so I felt like it would be a good time to try to make a farce of it.

So, set it to Beginner, 20 minute halves (max allowable) and realized I can get the first goal in about 15 seconds (game time) from kickoff and need to average one at least every 54 seconds. Usually on more difficult modes you get a minute or two of stoppage time but here because I scored so many there were seven and 10, respectively. You might say I have no life, and perhaps you’d be right, but I have a day off from work and it’s below freezing outside so I am content to stay inside. :joy::rofl::sob:

Final goal totals:
Bobby 18 (sextuple hat-trick)
Salah 16 (he was tired so I moved him to left back at the end)
Mane 13
Keita 10 (as a second half sub!)
Fab 10
Jota 9
Thiago 7
Hendo 7
Milner 6 (sub)
Ox 4 (sub)
Trent 3
Virgil 3 (all in second half injury time :rofl:)

3 Likes

I’ve been playing that game forever. most recent iteration is Fifa21 on PS5. playing career mode in World Class with 6min halves. rest of settings default and really struggle with how shitty the stamina is on my player for having a 87 stamina rating in Bobby’s false9 role. I really have to manage my running in the game effectively as by 60min mark I’m below 1/4 stamina, even though I have the second wind trait.

my char was sent out on loan twice and since I’ve finally nailed down a starting position Klopp has sold off the following players:
Fab
Mane
Firmino
Hendo
Virgil
Matip
Robertson

starting XI looks like this
Allison
Trent, Gomez, Akanji, Tsimikas
Naby, Grujic, De Jong (scores a LOT with great midfield runs)
Salah, Semmy, Taki

Subs: Aguero and Milner and a bunch of reserves.

1 Like

I came across a game through PS Plus subscription called Detroit that I hadn’t heard of before. Anyone played this?

It’s…interesting.

Is that Detroit: Human ? Or something different?

that’s right, sorry. it’s Detroit: Human.

Played a few hours of it yesterday, very different. wife was watching for a bit, and was somewhat disturbed by it.

Never played it (probably because of the story making me uncomfortable) but watched it being played.

Good voice acting - i think Clancy Brown is one of the main actors. Looked like they had made a big effort with the story, and deserve credit for that.

My favorite game for PS4 currently is assassins creed odyssey and ghost of Tsushima. Both have immersive stories that are a lot of fun to play through

1 Like

Stolar, who was involved in the launch of both the PlayStation and Dreamcast in the US, was 75

Today is the day where I quit Fifa UT for good. For the last few years I’ve played it have been the worst gaming experience imaginable.

The amount of time invested in this to be treated like shit, terrible pack luck, non-existent content to grind, rigged to the brim in game play, awful connection, awful servers…getting DC’d multiple times in middle of wins & least of all community filled with poison.

So it’s with a heavy heart I say goodbye to this piece of trash game & would urge anyone thinking about playing/coming back to it…NOT TO but judging by the posts in here not many game period let alone game on Fifa so to those of you I salute you.

I stopped playing UT years ago, it’s so very much tailored to cash players and the gameplay is fucking awful.

I wish they’d fix the AI in single-player mode, particularly the defending is fucking dreadful.

1 Like

I’m hoping that the discontinuation of the ‘FIFA’ name will be a catalyst for them to finally do a proper revamp of the game and fix all the things that have been wrong with it for years. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy it and have wasted far too many hours on career mode over the decades, but it’s essentially the same game as it was two decades ago. I know FUT is where they concentrate their efforts as it’s an easy cash grab for them, so I’m probably going to be disappointed, but I’d love it if they put in some effort to make the game more realistic off the pitch. Perhaps not as in depth as FM, but at a happy medium somewhere between that and where they are now.

Not played fifa since '98 I think - it was the year they had the indoor pitch, so you could play the ball off of the walls rather than have it go out.

Watch the occasion youtube vid and seeing some of the shit that gets posted and said I have no interest in playing it - much prefer FM